Winter to Summer Switch...

2»

Comments

• Talk about suspense, I bought my brand new summer bike (something over £1200) in December and I've only ever used it on the turbo trainer - partly because the first half mile of any ride for me is a very rough and muddy farm track that has never dried out since December. I'm gonna fly round my regular routes when I eventually Christen it!

Winter bike: 11kg
    Summer: 8kg
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    I'm gonna have to see how much I fall in love with my new bike, then come the winter I may be tempted to get a winter bike sorted, just so I can build the tension and be freed come next spring.
    The psychological aspect of that is starting to appeal to me.

So how do you choose a winter bike?
    Are they just old bikes that don't matter and ride awful?
    Are they your current summer bike, but you've identified flaws you can only correct by buying a new summer bike so consign it to being the new winter bike?
    do you just buy a cheaper specced bike that has mudguard mounts and can fit wider tyres?
    Do you buy something deliberately heavier for off season training?
    Are they just as pricey as Summer bikes, just fit for a different purpose?

I'm guessing all of the above . . .
  • I just ride the same bike all year round - I can't say it's any the worse for wear from the winter conditions. I just give it the normal maintenance routine and it works as well as the day I got it. There's no sign of corrosion either. I suspect bikes are a lot less fragile than people think.
  • From my very novice perspective, from what I have seen at my local club

Winter bikes are 80% old steel frames ie raleigh, 5, 10 speed or fixed wheel, approx £100

Summer bikes are a whole lot more expensive circa 1k+

and then they mostly have carbon TT bikes for the TT's.
  • west green
    west green Posts: 134
    Just switched over midweek last week as it looked like 3 days of commuting without any rain and nice weather. To answer the question of winter/ summer bike? I've had my summer bike for 18 months now, and as it's only ridden in dry weather still runs as sweetly as the day I picked it up. I don't mind hammering the other 2, especially the single speed - the only problem is how to sneak a 4th into the house. Until I find the dream frame, then I don't have to worry about it!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Was sorely tempted to get the summer bike yesterday morning, as it was a nice dry day. However I'm glad I didn't the route took me through a large set of roadworks for the new Forth Crossing and the road was covered in sh1t. I would've felt that all my time in cleaning and lubing, over the last three months that the bike's been laid up had, been wasted. Here's hoping the dry bright weather stays and I can pick a better route next weekend. I'm looking forward to not having to lug an extra 7kgs around.

To get back to the original question, in the build up to an event like the Caledonia Etape, you should spend a good amount of time on the bike you will ride on the day. Mainly,IMHO, to get your body used to the positioning which will be slightly different to any other bike. The last thing you want is start feeling uncomfortable an hour into a four hour ride. Also it will give you confidence in your preparation for the day if you have a few rides with all the kit you plan to take (food,tools,gps and so on). You would find it quite off-putting if on the day you are distracted by having to mess about with you GPS not working right(loads of people take GPS, but you're not going to get lost on the CE) or if your gears don't quite index properly, or any of the other thousands of niggles that can occur.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just have the one bike. Racelight Tk. Fairly lively geometry, but with clearance / mounts for full guards.

I don't commute, so it isn't going out in all weathers, but I do ride it all year round so get wet pretty frequently.

The secret seems to be to wipe down the drivetrain after a wet ride and relube frequently. Into it's 4th year now and all I've replaced has been a couple of chains and a gear cable

The winter to summer switch involves taking off the mudguards, which takes all of 5 minutes, but it's worth it just to silence those annoying rattles. One wet summer I never got round to it though..