9/10 speed compatibility and stuff

StefE
StefE Posts: 6
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi, I could do with some help regarding 9/10 speed compatibility....

I have a great bike from around 1999 or 2000 and I want to change the frame and maybe upgrade to 10 speed. The bike has Ksyriums and full Ultegra (not sure what version it is but it's 9 speed).

Can I put a 10 speed cassette on or do I have to change other bits like the chain (is a 10 speed chain different), derailleur(s), chainset and/or STI levers?

If it's too much of a problem I'll leave it as 9 speed but would like to get a compact chainset to compensate.I'd go for 105/Ultegra/Dura Ace but aren't they all 10 speed nowadays or are they 9 speed compatible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    10 speed cassette will go on a nine speed hub. (You may need a really thin spacer that might be supplied with a 10 speed cassette).

You'll need a 10 speed chain.

You'll need 10 speed shifters.

And that's your lot. (Have just performed this upgrade myself).
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    StefE wrote:
    I have a great bike from around 1999 or 2000 and I want to change the frame and maybe upgrade to 10 speed.

Hang on, basically you want a new bike?
  • StefE
    StefE Posts: 6
    No. Was really looking to change the gearing by using a compact chainset for where -I live is hilly. Most decent chainsets seem to be 10 speed and I wasn't sure if I could just put one on. My existing bike is great but I damaged the frame :( So have bought a new frame, just looking at my options without spending loads
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    So you have a new frame because you broke the last one and want to know if you you can put a groupset on it?

Errrr - yes. You can put what you want on it.

9 speed shifters, chain, cassette, etc all work together.
    10 speed shifters, chain, cassette etc all work together.
    10 speed shifters work with 9 speed everything else (but obviously you will only get 9 speeds).
    9 speed shifters work with 10 speed everything else (but obviously you will only get 9 speeds).
    In all my years I have never had any issues re different speeds and front chainsets - anything seems to work with anything.

Its only when you go mixing 10 speed cassettes and 9 speed chains that you start getting potential problems.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So you can buy a 10 speed compact chainset and fit it to your new frame along with your existing 9 speed shifters, cassette and chain.

Budget-tastic!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yossie wrote:
    9 speed shifters, chain, cassette, etc all work together.
    10 speed shifters, chain, cassette etc all work together.
    10 speed shifters work with 9 speed everything else (but obviously you will only get 9 speeds).
    9 speed shifters work with 10 speed everything else (but obviously you will only get 9 speeds).
    In all my years I have never had any issues re different speeds and front chainsets - anything seems to work with anything.

Its only when you go mixing 10 speed cassettes and 9 speed chains that you start getting potential problems.

vs.
    craker wrote:
    10 speed cassette will go on a nine speed hub. (You may need a really thin spacer that might be supplied with a 10 speed cassette).

You'll need a 10 speed chain.

You'll need 10 speed shifters.

And that's your lot. (Have just performed this upgrade myself).

craker is correct, depending what Yossie means by 'everything else'...

Assuming you are not intending mixing Shimano with SRAM or Campag, which is a complication further, then you need shifters, cassette and chain to match
    - i.e. 10sp shifters work with a 10sp cassette and need a 10sp chain
    - 9sp shifters work with a 9sp cassette, but would actually work with 9sp or 10sp chain
    - but 8 or 9 or 10sp chainset, front & rear mechs will work with either
  • Yossie
    I mean that 9 speed shifters will move a 10 speed chain and mech across a 10 speed cassette but you'll only have 9 gears and a spare cog on the rear cassette.

10 speed shifters will move a 9 speed chain and mech across a 10 speed cassette but you'll only have nine gears and a spare click on the shifters at whatever point you put it.

Essentially, any sghifters will move any compatible mech (ie Shimano/Shimano, SRAM/SRAM, Campagnolo/Campagnolo, Suntour/Suntour etc etc)and chain across a cassette but only the amount of clicks teh shifters will give you 0 eg 7,8,9 or 10 clicks give you 7,8,9 or 10 gears.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think you're forgetting about the sprocket spacing. 10 speed sprockets are closer together than 9 speed

A 9 speed shifter will move the mech further across the cassette with each click than a 10 speed one. With 9 speed shifters and a 10 speed cassette you'll lose more than one gear and possibly your mind.

Shifters, chain and cassette should all be the same speed
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Exactly !
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    If you are just looking to convert to a compact you may want to look at the Stronglight chain rings as they work with 8,9 or 10 speed chains. You will still need compact cranks but you have the option of 9 or 10 speed.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s149p293
  • Yossie
    If you're after a compact chainset I've just been offerered an FSA Gossamer one as new (50 miles) with chainrings that have also only done 50 miles.

No use to me but may be to you.