first uplift booked!!!

dirty face
dirty face Posts: 139
edited February 2012 in MTB general
just booked for cwmcarn 1st april. should pick up new bike mid march. can't wait.....has anyone been to cwmcarn lately? not been there before so any advice would be great, i.e, should i do the red run first and is there much difference between that and the black run (i've heard the two runs merge so is there loads of difference in difficulty?)
If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,603
    How good are you?

If in doubt, try the red a couple of times and if you're fine with it, give the black a shot. There are plenty of Youtube vids of both runs if you want to have a look before you go.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    How good are you?

If in doubt, try the red a couple of times and if you're fine with it, give the black a shot. There are plenty of Youtube vids of both runs if you want to have a look before you go.

thanks, i would say i'm quite confident, been riding dh for a while now but never on a dh bike (always used my ht). i've seen a fair amount of vids of cwmcarn, but i don't think any amount of footage can really do any location justice. so this will be my first time there and first time on a dh bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Everything there is rollable anyway, just depends how fast you hit it, and whether you take the chicken runs or not.
    I know chicken runs all over the place intimately.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chicken runs?! never......if you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!!!!

just kidding, i'll prob get to know the chicken runs quite well myself
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Just take it easy the first few runs.
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    if you take it easy the first few runs.... you're a big jessie
    :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,603
    dirty face wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    How good are you?

thanks, i would say i'm quite confident, been riding dh for a while now but never on a dh bike (always used my ht). i've seen a fair amount of vids of cwmcarn, but i don't think any amount of footage can really do any location justice. so this will be my first time there and first time on a dh bike
    I got through my first day there last month OK and I'm not that good at DH - like has been said above it's all rollable on the red so just build up your speed over the day. Pretty sure you'll enjoy it in any event :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For the DH bit, I've only done the 'red' but the black as I understand it is just some different options down the same run, mainly the initial bit at the top and it.

The black from what I've seen has some stuff I'd struggle with, but hard to tell until I try it.

Also, watch out for the pavement drop. The drop is not rollable, but the chicken run to the right of it is.

But yeah, the red stuff is designed to run however you want to run it.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    edited February 2012
    deadkenny wrote:
    Also, watch out for the pavement drop. The drop is not rollable, but the chicken run to the right of it is.

The fire road drop, it can be rolled since they changed it if you have 200m forks and DH slack head angle :lol:

Proof

http://contour.com/stories/cwmcarn-dh-27112011-james
  • My mate lost control at the bit you go under the road where there is a 90 degree right hander, used his face as a brake and smashed his front teeth out (putting them through his face)...

When he drank water to wash the blood out, it was coming out his 'second' mouth... funnily enough, he never did another run.... It was funny on the way home as we made jokes about the Godfather and watched the second mouth rip bigger as he laughed...

In short, full face helmet.... :0) (and good luck, it's fun)
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

The fire road drop, it can be rolled since they changed it if you have 200m forks and DH slack head angle :lol:

Proof

i should be ok with that as drops are not an issue for me even on my HT. its jumps that i'm no so good at. as far as technical desents go i'm pretty sorted and can do pretty much any desent even clipped in. i'm looking forward to it, the wait will be agonising!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Proof

Ah yeah. Have to admit last time I went there I didn't even attempt it. Would I get away with it with 170mm and 66 angle I wonder? Probably. I seem to get away with rolling all kinds of drops that shouldn't be rollable :D. Now if I actually learn to properly drop drops that would be another matter!

The chicken is much better as that used to be a little drop onto sketchy rock and seemed as bad a choice, but now it's a nice steep roll.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Proof

Would I get away with it with 170mm and 66 angle I wonder? Probably. .
    the bike in the vid is a cube hannz, and if i remember, the angles are all on cubes website so look it up and that should give you an idea if your angles are up to it