Zero to Etape fitness in 4 months?

theboykidney
theboykidney Posts: 95
Signed up for the Etape [act 1], and very soon after my knees imploded. Still off the bike, and don't see myself getting back in the saddle until March. This leaves 4 months to get from rock bottom zero to Etape fitness. I'm clinging onto this pipe dream that its possible because its probably my last opportunity to do the Etape for a good few years.
Am I living in a dream world?
Cheers,
TBK

Comments

• I think the most important thing is how fit you were before your Knee problem. How long have you have been off the bike ?. Muscles do have a memory and It doesn't take long for you to regain lost fitness. the January before I did the Etape (1998 I think) I had an operation on my Knee to sort out a cartilage problem plus a bony spur taken off the front of my knee. I was off the bike completely for at least 4 weeks but managed to get back enough fitness to complete the Etape without embarrassing myself too much.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It depends what you mean by rock bottom and what your level of fitness was like before your knee problems.

I completed La Marmotte in 2009 after suffering knee problems and not having the ideal preparation. Have you managed to control your weight whilst you've been off the bike? Also how much time can you commit to training after March? Whilst off the bike, are you trying to keep up your cardiovascular fitness by walking or swimming?

If you were in a reasonable shape before your knee problems and you have maintained your CV fitness then I reckon you can build up enough over 4 months to get yourself round. No records will be broken but you will get round and should enjoy it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Alternatively, are places transferrable?? :wink:
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I did it in about 6 months from scratch for the Ventoux Etape in 2009.

Partly depends on how much time you will have to train. Also whilst I was unfit I didn't have any particular injuries to worry about. I would have thought the biggest issue is going to be the level of strain you can put on your knees when you start training. I assume that when you get back onto the bike you will still need to be careful with the knees ? In which case I think it would be a big ask and may be detrimental to the long term recovery/health of your knees.
  • Thanks for the feedback guys.
    answers:
    How long have you have been off the bike ? - about 2 months, totalling close to 3 by the time I [hopefully] get back on
    It depends what you mean by rock bottom and what your level of fitness was like before your knee problems - well rock bottom in my legs for sure, trying to swim to keep up CV fitness, before I'd say I was average, out most weekends doing between 60-100 km + 15k commute everyday.

Mccaria - you're right, its not like a switch is going to be switched and its 100% training, first month would be easing back into it, getting back up to a basic road fitness, then go into more hardcore stuff.

Might be a tall order actually :(
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Absolutely no harm in trying, but the most important thing is to not damage your long term recovery. There will be an etape every year even if you have to wait for a few. You only have one pair of knees. Sorry to be boring- but good luck anyway.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    use the time now to get lean. its not a race, so 4 months is just about enough time to get a sufficient endurance to complete the course ahead of the broom wagon.

Get the CV system working with some swimming too, whilst you are off the bike?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Start back on the turbo with little resistance and increase slowly. Don't be tempted to simulate the grinding climbs until you have recovered sufficiently. You can unclip from the trainer at any point you feel discomfort. You will make it. Post back on the thread after you've completed for a pat on the back. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • The first time I did the Etape I had both my knees operated on around Christmas time. When I first got back on the turbo I was outputting a huge 30W :D

I did finish after a struggle up Ventoux (which probably would have happened anyway) in about 8 1/2 hrs. So yes you will be able to do it but set a realistic goal for the day and go at the right pace for yourself.