Disc Brake Pads Original or Replacment

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You're a joker. You've got £11 ish pounds of brakes pads there. If they've lasted 6 months of normal riding before doing that then it's your fault making not SS. 11 pounds sometimes does not even buy you one set on some pads that are worse...

You are talking about things you know nothing about. Actually, you are talking about things I know nothing about - eg 'making not SS'. But anyway, I was using them on road (rather than off - unfortunately I've neglected the proper MTBing thing) and got a few weeks out of them. I'd have thought they would have lasted longer. I'd have thought that they would have lasted long enough for an appreciable thickness of pad to be worn away. But as I said in my original post which you perhaps didn't read properly, there was occasional binding and the pads never really fitted comfortably so maybe that was the problem. That was what I was asking about. Are you always so rude?

FWIW, if I'd started using them as soon as I got them, I'd have actually been entitled to a refund as they certainly didn't last 45 days but all I'm interested in is an explanation (eg maybe they aren't suitable for use on salty roads). I just think it's a bid odd; I got a few thousand out of the original equipment Avid pads and only a few hundred out of the Superstars. But never mind. Carry on being unhelpful if you like.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    typo, / missing.
  • rolf_f
    typo, / missing.

D'uh - Superstar obviously. Kept thinking SS for single speed..... But like I say - not even close to six months.
  • So what happened after all of that? You don't say or imply really.
    If your comment was referring to me; then what happened was that the brake was silent for about the first 60 mins after cleaning and then started howling again. It first starts off as a with a low level dead squeal which later progresses to a very loud howl, enough to make people 50m away to look around.

I'm hoping my pads are stuffed and that a new set will fix it.
  • IME:

ALL Sintered pads squal terribly when wet
    ALL Sintered pads squeal terribly when cold
    ALL Sintered pads squeal terribly if you didn't bed them in properly.
    ALL Sintered pads squeal terribly if your rotors are worn
    ALL Juicy brakes are notorious for brake squeal

Looking at the picture those pads look like they've lived outside or under the sea or something. What the hell did you do to them? :lol:
  • rolf_f
    IME:

ALL Sintered pads squal terribly when wet
    ALL Sintered pads squeal terribly when cold
    ALL Sintered pads squeal terribly if you didn't bed them in properly.
    ALL Sintered pads squeal terribly if your rotors are worn
    ALL Juicy brakes are notorious for brake squeal

Looking at the picture those pads look like they've lived outside or under the sea or something. What the hell did you do to them? :lol:

That's down to not a very long period of winter riding on roads - so salty conditions but I keep the bike clean. I still have one pad that is almost immaculate and the pad thickness is the same as those in the pic of Grimsby trawler wreckage! So there is almost no actual wear to the pads. FWIW, the original discs on the bike show negligble wear after a total of about 4000 miles (vast majority of which were on road) travelled. The bike actually lives in my centrally heated dining room so the corrosion is purely down to travel! The pads always fell off on the same side so I always assumed that either the intermittent binding (caused either by Juicy crapness or the overtightness of the pads in the calipers) caused overheating which detatched the pads or there was a manufacturing defect that caused that pad to come away. What I can't remember now is if it was always the same caliper that caused the problem. The interesting thing is the fact that the entire contact area looks corroded - which implies water got between the pads over a period of time.

They do look crap though but I just assumed that that's how they all ended up looking after a few miles on the road!

As I said, I've eradicated the Juiciness from my bike and maybe I won't bother with sintered anymore. But I'd like suggestions as to what pads I should use. Tempted just to go for OEM Shimano.
  • I had some Smimano sintereds in my XT brakes for about 2 years.They just didn`t want to die.Having said that,the exoribitant prices put me off buying more and led me to use Shimano sinteeds which I have been very impressed with so far.

I bed them in as per the SS instructions and could feel them getting progressively more bite as they went through the bedding in process.

If anything they feel at least as good as the Shimano pads,though too early for me to comment onh durability.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I've been using SS sintered for a while now and have no complaints. No squealing either!

I did hear about early SS pads coming away from the backing but that its all sorted now.

There's a good few of us that use SS pads and none have fell to bits.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Stephb
    Stephb Posts: 10
    Just to add my experiences that prompted me to ask the Question initially. I was using SS sintered pads on my Avid Juicy 7's I had a 203mm front and 195mm rear rotors, the pads made an horrendous noise, something like a throttled Turkey. Did all the usual stuff, cleaned rotors with brake cleaner, greased rear of pads, realigned the callipers etc, but to no avail. Changed the pads to EBC sintered, problem sorted virtual silence, loads of stopping power. I've been reluctant to use anything else since, so still using EBC on my formulas. It appears by your posts that different pads work well on some makes of brakes and not on others, a bit of experimenting is needed to find what works best.
    Perhaps I'll try some SS on my Formula brakes and see what happens.
  • I've been using SS sintered for a while now and have no complaints. No squealing either!

I did hear about early SS pads coming away from the backing but that its all sorted now.

There's a good few of us that use SS pads and none have fell to bits.

I should of added they are in Juicy 3sl's. No squealing, maybe slightly when its wet but even then its not something that I can remember happening.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Stephb wrote:
    Just to add my experiences that prompted me to ask the Question initially. I was using SS sintered pads on my Avid Juicy 7's I had a 203mm front and 195mm rear rotors, the pads made an horrendous noise, something like a throttled Turkey. Did all the usual stuff, cleaned rotors with brake cleaner, greased rear of pads, realigned the callipers etc, but to no avail. Changed the pads to EBC sintered, problem sorted virtual silence, loads of stopping power. I've been reluctant to use anything else since, so still using EBC on my formulas. It appears by your posts that different pads work well on some makes of brakes and not on others, a bit of experimenting is needed to find what works best.
    Perhaps I'll try some SS on my Formula brakes and see what happens.

This could of been down to the pad material being different size and affecting contact area on disc (not seen the particular ones so only you'd know), as there's any interesting thread somewhere on mtbr I think, that people have sorted the whole turkey gobble issue by spacing the caliper out slightly so that the pad material doesnt go over the inside grooves. Have a search and see if it makes sense.
  • Stephb
    Found this post on the dreaded turkey wobble, there are many theory's as to thecause.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/juicy ... 25196.html
  • Stephb
    I'll have to check out where the pads are sitting on my discs, worth a try, cheeers.