Disc Brake Pads Original or Replacment

Stephb
Stephb Posts: 10
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I've been using EBC sintered pads on my formula r1 brakes mainly because they are half the price of the originals, but I'm finding they are not lasting very long only about 4-5 30 mile rides on various terrain from single track to forestry trails. Is it worth paying for the originals or do they wear out as quickly?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Try Superstar - 23 quid for 4 sets. Depends where you ride, but mine (SS ones) have lasted a lot longer than that.
  • Don't use the superstar kevlar compound as they are the squeeliest pads I have ever had! went through 4 sets will never use again. Clarks are very good though
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Superstar here.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Ditto Superstars.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Superstar sintered pads in Formula Oro K24's here. Last much longer than the original Semi-Metallic Formula pads.
  • Stephb
    Stephb Posts: 10
    Got to agree with Jonny on this one, the noise off these pads drove me nuts!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The pads don't make a noise, the disc or calliper mounting is where the noise comes from, it's a resonance, pads play a part but as the same pad on different discs or frames or adaptors will or won't make a noise, blaming the pad and recommending someone else not use it on a different application is just silly.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Haven't used Formula brakes but the aftermarket Avid pads are not the same as the OE pads. The OE pads are undeniably shite which is probably why Superstar do so well but although Avid's aftermarket pads are expensive, the difference between them and the OE pads is like night and day - power, feel, wear, noise you name it they are better in every way.

With a quality brake such as your Formulas I would be tempted to try some of their own pads before going down the Superstar route.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I found the OE pads in my formula megas wore really quickly, not gotten through the superstar pads i replaced them with yet, but i didn't do it long ago.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Thing is where else can you get pads for £5.50 a set, if they don't last quite as long as OE, OCB or Clarks ect it doesn't really matter as they are just so cheap.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Superstar pads here also, but you have to bed any new pad in correctly to avoid noise. Don't lightly drag the brakes. Ride the bike on the road and do 12 runs at about 20mph applying the brake firmly.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Don't use the superstar kevlar compound as they are the squeeliest pads I have ever had! went through 4 sets will never use again. Clarks are very good though

Oddly enough, I ONLY use the kevlar pads on my formulas. Find them to give LOADS of power when bedded in correctly, and are much quieter than sintered in wet weather.
    They last ok in the conditions round here, and at the price they are, I'm happy to sacrifice a little longevity for the extra power.

Should be getting some new XT brakes soon. Not sure what I'm going to do about them, as AFAIK the only pads with the fins are the official shimano ones. Might give regular SS a try and see how they stack up.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I totally recommend Superstar Kevlar- they're not as long lasting as a good sintered, or as powerful and sensitive as a good organic, but they're nicely halfway between. Good life, good performance. And cheap! Not suited for really gritty mud though apparently. I've had my rotors all sorts of pretty colours but never had a loss of performance from these- wouldn't blame them if they'd melted tbh!

Bedding in is very important with some pads... Essential with the kevlars in fact, if you don't bed them in right then mud can destroy them in a couple of rides. And it's easy to mess it up because unlike most pads, they make good power almost immediately- but they still want a bit more bedding in even after they seem sorted, to make them last.
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I found the OE pads in my formula megas wore really quickly, not gotten through the superstar pads i replaced them with yet, but i didn't do it long ago.

Formula stick organics in a lot of their brakes, which in muddy conditions can wear out crazy fast.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I've tried all 3 SS types ;

Organic - good power etc, didn't last too long
    Sintered - take a few pulls to get good power and honk like a bugger when cold, but last ages
    Kevlar - better power from cold, more consistent than sintered, but lasted about a month

A lot of my riding is done in gritty areas though.

Currently back on sintered.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I got Superstar in both bikes one being Formula R1's and the other bike XT no issues at all but don't buy Organic as they wear out like you wouldn't believe in muddy/wet conditions I went through a set in four 2hr wet rides
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Hello just to help you all with compound choice we offer a 45 day trial period on our disc pads.

Try them and if you dont like them for ANY REASON - return them within 45 days with a returns form and we will give you your money back in full.

I would rather have a happy long term customer than someone who chose the wrong compound and then went elsewhere. We normally email some advice once we have the pads back to reccomend which compound you would be better off with.

Hope that helps! Neil (Superstar)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't ask for more than that.

Or maybe...
    I normally use sintered, experimented with some organic during summer (haha) and managed to destroy them in a few very muddy runs at Afan. If I return the metal bits (all that was left) and have my cash back?

To be fair, they stopped me very well. Trouble was the only local replacements were some Ashima at £25 odd a pair.
    Now keep spare SS sintered, won't get caught again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    Hello just to help you all with compound choice we offer a 45 day trial period on our disc pads.

Try them and if you dont like them for ANY REASON - return them within 45 days with a returns form and we will give you your money back in full.

I would rather have a happy long term customer than someone who chose the wrong compound and then went elsewhere. We normally email some advice once we have the pads back to reccomend which compound you would be better off with.

Cheers for the input Neil.

Just checked and ordered on 20th Dec, so i'll have a look on the website see if I can find a returns form.
    Instead of cash back, would you just send a pair of different compound?
  • Just a quick question. I'm about to order some pads, still deciding on Kevlar or sintered and whether to use discobrakes or Superstar. I ride 95% of the time in dry weather on dry dusty tracks.

Anyway back to the question. Should you replace both front and rear at the same time? I'm replacing mine mainly because the front brake howls like crazy and no matter what I do to try to fix it the howl returns after about 60mins of riding so I want to switch pads. The rear pads and brake are fine so is it ok to just replace the front and mix compounds front / rear? I assume it shouldn't be a problem but just checking.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    in my experience the disco brake pads are poo dont waste your money..

i got 2 sets for my formula megas. since i put them in the brakes were pants stopping is lets say none existent and in the wet they squeal like a banshie on crack..
    i wont buy them again,, not at all impressed with them...
  • Thanks for your opinion. The reason I was considering Discobrakes is that I came across favorable user reviews / experiences on another forum.
  • Hello its impossible to say what pad would be best for you as it is really down to personal preference. I personally prefer the better power and feel of the Kevlar so dont mind changing them more often, but otehr people will be different.

As i say if you return the all pads with a returns form within the 45 days you can have a refund. Its our commitment to proving our pads are the best on the market as well as being stunning value for money!

Most noise is caused by setup, contamination or worn rotors. Have look at those things first. Soft pads will hide it better but wont solve the issue.

Regards, Neil
  • DodgeT
    Just change the ones which are worn. No need to change both ends of the bike. Only thing I wouldn't do is mix and match in the same caliper - obviously..
  • Hello its impossible to say what pad would be best for you as it is really down to personal preference. I personally prefer the better power and feel of the Kevlar so dont mind changing them more often, but otehr people will be different.

As i say if you return the all pads with a returns form within the 45 days you can have a refund. Its our commitment to proving our pads are the best on the market as well as being stunning value for money!

Most noise is caused by setup, contamination or worn rotors. Have look at those things first. Soft pads will hide it better but wont solve the issue.

Regards, Neil
    I tried sorting the noise. I cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner, cleaned the pads, rubbed the compound a bit with sand paper, tried coppa-slip on the back of the pads, made sure all bolts and fixing on the caliper and rotor were tight, did the bedding in process but soon after start to howl again. Rotor looks fine - no wear groves or signs.

I'll give the kevlar pads a go since virtually all my riding is in the dry.
  • Chunkers1980
    So what happened after all of that? You don't say or imply really.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hello just to help you all with compound choice we offer a 45 day trial period on our disc pads.

Not asking for a return or anything (left it rather too late for that!) but I bought a four pack of sintered pads for my Avid Juicy 3 calipers and the pads on one side kept falling off the back plate when hardly worn. The joining area behind the pad in each case was corroded. However, the pads were prone to rubbing - partly because the backings always seemed a bit large despite me filing the edges down - but partly because I think the calipers were crap.

I've now replaced the brakes with Shimano SLX and the standard pads will probably last me a while but I have to admit to some doubts as to whether I'll try Superstar pads again.

P1100772.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chunkers1980
    You're having a laugh? You think that's SSs fault. Rank all round.
  • I am using sintered pads from Uber bike components in my Formula R1's and RX's.
    Only just changed them a few weeks ago so do not know how good they are going to be but price is close to Superstar.

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/
    Transition Trans AM 27.5
    Niner ROS9
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You're having a laugh? You think that's SSs fault. Rank all round.

I don't know if it is SS fault - the pads came off the backing after very little use; there's almost no wear to the pad. I was asking a question. Not to you. If you can't be constructive please stuff off. (I dunno, too many imbeciles in the world :lol: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Chunkers1980
    You're a joker. You've got £11 ish pounds of brakes pads there. If they've lasted 6 months of normal riding before doing that then it's your fault making not SS. 11 pounds sometimes does not even buy you one set on some pads that are worse...