Help with training

burtie
burtie Posts: 154
Hi all I started cycling last may on a mountain bike (which never went near any mountains) I managed 500 miles before I bought a road bike, Trek 1.1 from ebay and I managed 1500 miles on this for the rest of the year.

The start of this year so far including roller sessions I have done 587 miles 85 of those on the rollers. I just treated myself to a Trek 2.3 and some pro lite wheels and a new computer with heart rate monitor etc.

I'm currently on a diet I was 14st 2ilbs now I'm down to 13st 3lbs and now I'm looking to up my training but I don't really know where to start. Should I just keep riding like I am now just going out and doing the miles?

What I really need is a more structured training plan I have loads of free time so thats not a problem. I would love to be 12st and my diet at the moment is fairly good so can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Thanks

burtie

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    what kind of events are you training for..?
  • burtie
    Nothing really I just want to be fitter and a little faster and better at hills I'd also like to tackle a 100 mile ride at some point the most I've done is 50.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Try some interval training & hill repetitions. Also, the lighter you are, the easier hills become. If you want to ride 100 miles, just go out and do it.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    just keep riding then - no real structure needed. If you have the time, get out on some longer (3/4/5hr) rides a couple of times a week...
  • Enter an event - sportives, charity rides, Etape du Tour - doesn't matter which, but challenge yourself and you'll train accordingly.
  • I always think its good to have a target a marathon would be fun Chainreaction ones are great well organised and you can make a weekend of it aswell.
    The lost weight is brilliant and will help in every area but dont forget to balance the riding with cross training and REST.
    I came to mountain biking from a running background only 2nd year and have adapted some sessions which really help with my biking.
    seated hills long and short,high and low interval sessions and a couple of long rides.
    There is no substitute for time on the bike and the fun is great.
    I try and do one race a month cause whilst doing it I get fitter and learn from more experienced riders
    xLisax
  • burtie
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply everyone. I've not really thought about doing an event so I'll stick it on my todo list for after I've lost the rest of my lard and the target for that is the end of march early april.

I might increase my long rides and do a couple of interval sessions a week I do have two full days rest/dog walking a week too. thanks again.

burtie
  • enjoy burtie x
    xLisax
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    edited February 2012
    Because you are not going to race but just want to increase your strength and fitness then you could try using the Farlek training method, or in English, Speed Play. Google it to get a full explanation. Proper intervals are best done on a Turbo because it's difficult getting an even 20 minute ride. But if you use a Fartlek method you can do what suits the terrain. Go for it.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Fartlek training yeah that's great still intervals but great way to get fit and you can use the hills aswell :D
    xLisax