Weight loss strategy for Whitton & Marmotte

BeauMaximus
BeauMaximus Posts: 73
Hi, I wonder if you can help me.
im a fairly new cyclist, having got into it to train for a couple of sprint triathlons last year.
Iv only done a total of about 750 miles so far on my bike but have been getting more into it this winter.
Anyway, iv booked up to do the Fred Whitton in May and the Marmotte in July but at present weigh 89kg.

Im becoming increasingly aware that I need to lose a fair bit of weight to make these as easy as possible on myself.
I aim to get to 80-82kg for the FW and 76-78kg for the Marmotte but not sure which is best way to go about it.
The way i look at it, if i diet and train, i will probably lose muscle and power as well as fat whereas if I just train hard, it may not get the fat off in time.

Im 31, 6ft and not especially big framed so I dont think my target weights are unrealistic, especially as for years, until the age of 24, i was a constant 72.5kg and ripped as a whippet from boxing.

What im not sure of is the best way to go about it, so your thoughts as experienced cyclists would really help.
Cheers

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    As long as you eat enough and actually use the muscle,you'll lose very little of it. Don't forget muscle is metabolically active and bodyfat isn't,so it helps to maintain it.

Diet would be the first thing to get right of course but you were a boxer so you should know this :P

As for training (sprint tri) Triathlon+ (even the website) has a lot of training information as to most of the triathlon magazine sites.

My first tri is either July or Sept,haven't decided :p
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Lots of discussions already on the boards e.g. (via forum search)

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12829755
    viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12826502
    viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12809595

Site search - http://www.bikeradar.com/search/?searchTerm=lose+weight

I'd start with longish steady paced rides, drink only water (though pack something in case you bonk). Riding on empty, particularly first thing in the morning is apparently a good way to improve your body's efficiency. Build the intensity and hills in as you progress. You're still in your prime so this shouldn't be an issue. Don't focus on weight alone, you won't magically climb hills just because you're x lbs lighter. Power-to-weight, an efficient climbing technique and endurance are very important.

Also look for dedicated threads on here re. Marmotte, like this one.

Good luck, I hope you achieve your goals.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Some good info HERE
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    BM,
    So, looking to lose about 12kg in 20wks. Very do-able.
    [I did it in 2007 & 2009, and having another go this year].

I wouldn't worry too much about muscle loss. If you are training sufficiently I don't envisage major loss, and in anycase it won't be muscle strength that gets you through the Marmotte, it will be aerobic fitness & endurance.

Focus on:
    > consistent training aimed to build threshold/1 hr power and longer endurance sessions; and
    > sensible weightloss - upto 1kg/wk - acheived via 1000Kcal calorie deficit (500/day from diet, 500/day from exercise).
    Rich
  • Thanks for the replies.
    Rich A you mention creating a 1000kcal a day deficit, half through exercise half through diet.
    Obviously I first need to calculate my current avg calorie intake, but to create the exercise portion of the calorie deficit, is it better to do 500kcal of exercise every day or do you average it out over say a week?

The reasn I ask is I did a 99 mile ride a couple of weeks ago which the strava app showed me as having burned 3500kcal on the ride alone. Are these figures generally accurate?

Also, on one of the older threads suggested by someon above, T.M.H.N.E.T has posted links to a calculator to work out figures for creating that deficit.

My BMR is 2003 and then if i multiply that by, say 1.6 to account for my level of activity means 3200kcal a day will maintain my current weight. I think I am having a thick moment because this should be easy but I cant get my head round whether my intake should be 500 or 1000kcal less than this as the x 1.6 part must account for the exercise porion of the deficit I am trying to create. I think 1000 less but am not sure.

Cheers

BM
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Start with -500. You will make up the rest of your deficit in training. This also leaves you some room to further reduce cals further down the line.
  • richa
    +1.

Aim for 1,500ish KCals per day. Maybe a little more if you're exercising >1hr.

The Strava / Garmin / Polar KCal figures are estimates at best. A 99miler would certainly have used plenty of Kcals though. This does count, but I would suggest getting in some other rides to. Consistent training also counts for something.
    Rich
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Thanks for the replies.
    My BMR is 2003 and then if i multiply that by, say 1.6 to account for my level of activity means 3200kcal a day will maintain my current weight. I think I am having a thick moment because this should be easy but I cant get my head round whether my intake should be 500 or 1000kcal less than this as the x 1.6 part must account for the exercise porion of the deficit I am trying to create. I think 1000 less but am not sure.

Cheers

BM

The way I've done it is to do the BMR calculation and then select the Harris Benedict formula for what most fits your lifestyle without the exercise (so for me I am sedentary as office based). I then track my exercise using my HRM and add that on to my daily calorie allowance before deducting any food intake. I've been using the My Fitness Pal app to help track my calories and it has worked well so far for me - I have been aiming to drop 2lb per week and have lost 9lb in 4 weeks - although I know some others have doubts over its benefits. I quite often get below my target net calories on days when I cycle which then enables me to eat a reasonable amount still on days when I do less / no exercise plus I still get to have a 'cheat day' where I can enjoy a takeaway or a couple of beers. Without that flexibility I don't think I could sustain a weight loss programme!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    RichA wrote:

Aim to burn 1500 via exercise or aim to eat?
  • richa
    RichA wrote:
    Eat 1,500 Kcal. i.e. 500 KCal less than a 2,000 KCal BMR.
    Rich
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    RichA wrote:
    RichA wrote:
    Eat 1,500 Kcal. i.e. 500 KCal less than a 2,000 KCal BMR.
    Are you trying to kill him? BMR X activity - deficit not BMR - deficit =
    Luckily the OP is sensible.
  • richa
    Are you trying to kill him?
    Please explain.

My BMR (number calories burn in a day) is similar at 2,004.9:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Surely if I want to lose weight I have to consume less than I am expending (after exercise).

I aim to eat 1,500 per day - 300 breakfast, 500 lunch, 600 supper, 100 other.

I would struggle to lose weight if I ate 3,200 KCals/day as suggested.
    Rich
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    RichA wrote:
    Are you trying to kill him?
    Please explain.

My BMR (number calories burn in a day) is similar at 2,004.9:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Surely if I want to lose weight I have to consume less than I am expending (after exercise).

I aim to eat 1,500 per day - 300 breakfast, 500 lunch, 600 supper, 100 other.

I would struggle to lose weight if I ate 3,200 KCals/day as suggested.
    It would make much more sense if you indeed worked it out properly for yourself,before giving others advice.

BMR x Activity = amount of cals needed to maintain current weight. You need to create a deficit from this higher figure. Generally 1000 deficit per day equates to roughly 2lbs per week.
    Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    So if your BMR x activity was 3200? In which case a sensible deficit would be 2500-2700 cals from food making up the rest with exercise.

Instead,you cut your intake by more than half + exercise still? Be honest, are you actually losing weight that isn't muscle?