Advice sought: old git training for two hard events

Bordersroadie
Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
Or "too hard" maybe.

I'm almost 48, healthy and pretty fit from other sports and doing a manual job, and for the last few months, back on the bike after a 20 year absence, save for a bit of MTB here and there. Way back then I was doing maybe 500 miles a month, for fun, transport and touring.

Like an old fool, despite zero Sportive experience, I have agreed to do the Fred Whitton in May and the Maratona Dles Dolomites in early June, pursuaded by my much fitter cycling buddy that both will be quite achievable for me. Talk about a baptism of fire.

Being an outdoor type, I've been out on the bike in all weathers through the winter, subzero or otherwise, on a 23 mile round trip rural commute when possible, longer weekend rides and indoors on dreaded turbo sessions, when needed. Generally I'm putting in 5 to 6 days a week.

I cannot afford a HR monitor and am doing my training via an old-school hard-work ethic teamed with commonsense, as an alternative to all you techie boys's stuff like HR zones, power output and other such science and analysis.

My training approach is to ride as much as I can, to push myself to get better, specifically at riding longer distances and up hills, since I realise my two events are essentially "slow torture by elevation gain". I live in a fairly hilly place and so my training routes are 80-100 ft per mile according to Bikehike.co.uk. I’m recording my times on given routes and aiming to decrease them or at least improve my physical state on completion. I guess it’s “interval” training inasmuch as I’m pushing very hard for short periods, hard for others and much less hard at other road sections. Turbo training is the same informal “interval” approach albeit for only 45 minute sessions at present.

With three months to go to the Fred, my last weekend ride was a 50 miler and I aim for a 60 next weekend, slowly building to 80’s and beyond in April. Concurrently, I’ve absorbed umpteen threads on hydration and nutrition which I’m again taking in a sensible but not over-scientific way into my training plan, such as it is.

My aims in these events are really just (a) to get round them in a “respectable-for-an-old-git” time, without the need for hospital admission afterwards and (b) to achieve the satisfaction that hard work and riding lots of hilly miles has been a suitable alternative training approach to the highly scientific analytical approach that obviously works for many others.

Seriously though, I want to be as fit as I can be without getting too scientific about it, I’m competitive at heart so I want to do more than just survive and/or cruise round them.

I'm feeling that my old-fashioned approach is helping me regain some of my old bike-fitness but any hints, tips or comments (even if it’s “sell your bikes now, you old fool”) will be gratefully received. I'm saying non-scientific, but if for example a basic HR monitor is considered a truly essential tool, let me know.

Many thanks.

Comments

• You're certainly not too old (50+ myself!) - sounds like you're working steadily towards your goal - my advice woudl be - carry on as you were! watch your weight, eat helathily, rest thoroughly - age tends to make recovery a longer process. Make sure you have the geasr you need on the day, don't statrt too quickly & good luck!
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    I got my heart rate monitor from Aldi or Lidl - can't remember which - for £6.99. Might be worth keeping an eye on their deals (on their websites). I don't actually use it for training in different zones - that's far too sophisticated for me - but more as a way of stopping myself going too hard.
  • nhoj wrote:
    I got my heart rate monitor from Aldi or Lidl - can't remember which - for £6.99. Might be worth keeping an eye on their deals (on their websites). I don't actually use it for training in different zones - that's far too sophisticated for me - but more as a way of stopping myself going too hard.

+1 Heart rate monitor is usefull. I got mine for a £10 from Sports Direct. You really don't need anything fancy, and you can set the upper and lower heartrate limits and it'll take alot of guess work.

Your heart rate is also a good indication of if you're training too hard, and you'll be able to judge how hard you're working so they are useful.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Thanks for the advice, chaps. Will seek out a cheap HRM.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I love all the geeky side of training using hrm and intervals etc. BUT cyclists have been training to pro level for a long time without them in the past. All those old pros would still be able to take us amateurs apart. Depends on what riding you want to do and how in depth you want to go with your training. It does sound like youre on track for your goals and doing the specific sort of training that you need.If it aint broke....??
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Old Git! Speak for yourself I'm 51 and don't intend to call myself an old git for at least another 10 years. I'm afraid you can't use age as an excuse for crap performance.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing and, if you have any excess weight, lose as much of it as you can.

When you start to ramp up the weekend mileage in the spring make sure you don't over do it and leave yourself too tired to train effectively through the week. Its not necessary to be doing century rides every weekend, just maintain your consistency.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,936
    Another (nearly) 48-year-old here. Pretty much the same regime for me - actually, I've rather enjoyed doing it by guesswork (other than setting targets for speed/distance for specific routes of various lengths) and learning to ride on feel. It's got me to a pretty respectable level in not too long a time. Looks like you're doing the right things to me.
    twotyred wrote:
    Its not necessary to be doing century rides every weekend, just maintain your consistency.
    Quite - I'll ride the odd 100, but most of my rides are between 20 and 80, knowing that if I can do the latter comfortably solo, a 100 won't be a problem.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    A tip or two....In order that you control your effort to finish the long rides in a comfortable state with the HRM do not go over 75% of your MHR. Even on the climbs. Experiment with a ride like this on your own, when your with mates you can stretch it a bit. Fit the watch to the bars around 22m foam pipe insulation. Important.... Even if you're not thirsty drink plenty. Try some Audax's if you've got time. Old git, you're young enough to be my son. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Thanks again guys, some really great advice, it's all much appreciated!

I put the "old git" bit in the title in the hope of catching a few 50+ year old fish - sorry, I couldn't resist, and I don't blame you for biting!! I don't actually feel old in the slightest, and my return to cycling has made me realise that I'm actually very young compared to many extremely fit riders.

On the subject of excess baggage, I'm 5'8" and 11st 8. Already I've shed a few pounds in the last few weeks without trying, so I should be in a good position by the time of the events even if I remain close to what I weigh now. To be honest I'm not going to get too distracted by it. I have a hell of a sweet tooth so I'm enjoying scoffing Soreen and jelly beans on a regular basis - a good benefit for all the pain!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Thanks again guys, some really great advice, it's all much appreciated!

I put the "old git" bit in the title in the hope of catching a few 50+ year old fish - sorry, I couldn't resist, and I don't blame you for biting!! I don't actually feel old in the slightest, and my return to cycling has made me realise that I'm actually very young compared to many extremely fit riders.

On the subject of excess age, I'm 5'8" and 11st 8. Already I've shed a few pounds in the last few weeks without trying, so I should be in a good position by the time of the events even if I remain close to what I weigh now. To be honest I'm not going to get too distracted by it. I have a hell of a sweet tooth so I'm enjoying scoffing Soreen and jelly beans on a regular basis - a good benefit for all the pain!
    You are an old git.
    I must be at least 6 months younger than you