Power intervals low or high cadence

jerome3
jerome3 Posts: 209
Hi been doin the 2x20min intervals at 85% threshold just wondering if they should be done at a low cadence ie 60-70
When out on zone 2pm keeping cadence at 95-100
Thanx in advance jerome

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Just stick to a comfortable cadence, unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise.
  • What cadence range do you expect to ride at in your target events? Do that most of the time.
    Suggest considering lifting the power to over 90% of threshold.
  • jerome3
    Would ride at around 90-95 ini a race do these intervals twice a week to try and get the power up only got the power tap couple of months so feeling my way in basicaly
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    2x20 @ 85% FTP should be very easy whatever cadence you choose.
    More problems but still living....
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Do you really mean 85% of threshold, or perhaps 85% of HRmax? The latter would be about right for 2x20.
  • jerome3
    No sorry I'm doin them at 90% of threshold not really payin much attention to hr since I got the powertap find the last 5mins of each hard
  • neeb
    How have you worked out what your threshold power is? Almost by definition, if you are finding the last 5mins of a 20 minute session very hard, you must be doing them at more than 90% of threshold, because your threshold power is what you can sustain for about an hour.
  • jerome3
    Done a 20min test just find anything on the turbo hard think it's cause Im to warm
  • neeb
    You need a really good fan - not one of those useless plastic things you get in most shops, but a big, powerful metal one. It's essential really. See discussion here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12832911