Turbo Training

garetjax
garetjax Posts: 175
Simple question I guess.

I cycle 3-4 times per week, but I will use the turbo only when I absolutely have to, when the weather is awful, like now.
Question is. If you're an infrequent turbo user, what is the best type of work out to do ? Just a good all rounder that ticks all the boxes and helps maintain the fitness you have built up. Some sessions I have done of late:

1. 2 hours steady, throw in some fast 30 sec sprints and/or 5 minute blocks pushing a hard gear.
2. A 30 minute flat out "time trial"
3. 5 x 5 minute Intervals each one above time trial pace until you are nearly puking?

One degree max tomorrow. Sleet. Turbo time.

Comments

• check out www.turbotraining.co.uk for some ideas
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Depends what you're training for and, if you're training for an event, when the event is.

Lately I've mostly been doing muscular endurance intervals - 4 x 10 min at lowish cadence and high resistance, 3-4min recovery. And 2-3 x 20min aerobic intervals at normal cadence, whatever resistance I can manage for 20 minutes, with 5min recovery inbetween. Will soon start doing shorter, harder intervals as the start of the season approaches.

Before that I was doing 15 second spins at the highest cadence I could manage, 2 mins recovery, and muscular force - highest resistance possible for, 5-8 x about 10 seconds, with 5min recovery, in addition to the 20min aerobic intervals...

Whether it will work better than what I was doing last year, only time will tell. Hopefully I'll be able to do this lot on the road instead of on the torture device...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!