First time out this year...observations

coombsfh
coombsfh Posts: 186
Hi all,

I bought a specialized allez elite (56) last year in order to help me get fit after meningitis. It worked and at my peak I was able to do box hill 6 times up, down, up down etc...

As things got cold and I settled back in Wiltshire I started going to the gym a lot and cycling took a back seat. My first time out in a while was mixed and here is why.

With gym I have been taking creatine, a high protein low carb diet, loads of milk and not a whole lot of aerobic stuff. I have been doing it just because really and have done the big exercises (squats, cleans, deadlifts, bench etc) most with smaller ones and core work and kettlebell thrown in. Today, this meant that my endurance was patently terrible, my lungs were gasping, cold air hurt them a bit and especially uphill. I weigh more than I did and this showed as keeping anywhere near 18mph for more than 3/4 mins on the flat was hard.

However, squats and calf work have paid off in a big way. I can tell my legs have grown since my already snug shorts now dig in round the thighs. Max effort sprinting is MUCH better. This said flexibility for cycling is different to stretches to do with gym work so I will have to adapt them a bit.

Finally, it was flippin' cold. Shorts and a jersey were not warm enough, even with a Helly Hansen underneath. My feet were frozen when I got in, I have lost my gloves so hands were fairly frigid and because the final fling of the 10 miles I did today is down hill, I got brainfreeze accompanied by streaming eyes and a double nostrilled snot fountain.

In conclusion I have a lot of work to do, BUT I liked it a lot and just had fun... That's what it's all about isn't it?

All the best,

Fred

Comments

• Hi Fred,

It sounds like you didn't wear nearly enough clothing for this time of year. I'd recommend getting some bib tights, overshoes, winter jacket, gloves and a skull cap for really cold days. Trust me, you'll enjoy your riding alot more if you're not freezing cold.

All the best. ;-)
  • Hi mate, I've come into cycling from a similar training background. Sounds like you are just adapting from weights which is all about strength and is anaerobic exercise, whereas cycling is all about cardio, aerobic exercise. Keep at it and your cardio will improve quickly!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Any cardio benefit will suffer if you don't keep working at it. Same with strength improvements,use or lose.

It's a nice feeling being out this time of year,athough my 2011 Allez16 (matt black) is a balls to keep clean in it. I learn to love it more and more every time I go out. I've actually went away from weight/resistance work atm,copious amounts of swimming with some sets in hand paddles to keep my arms in check :D

Bring on the summer!
  • coombsfh
    It's a nice feeling being out this time of year,athough my 2011 Allez16 (matt black) is a balls to keep clean
    I find wet-wipes useful coupled with little and often mantra...
    gin0rm0 wrote:
    Hi Fred,

It sounds like you didn't wear nearly enough clothing for this time of year. I'd recommend getting some bib tights, overshoes, winter jacket, gloves and a skull cap for really cold days. Trust me, you'll enjoy your riding alot more if you're not freezing cold.

All the best. ;-)
    That's a lot of kit to get. Plus, if I wore all of that I'd die of heat poisoning - I sweat like the proverbial fox as soon as I exercise so praps another layer and some plastic bags in my shoes will do... Also find drinking hot water before settign off helps... Plus the kit I really want [url][/url]http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2778 aint so thermal...

Will tell you all how today goes

all the best,

Fred.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    You kept well hydrated on this ride? Im assuming your not still taking creatine?
  • gin0rm0 wrote:
    Hi Fred,

All the best. ;-)

Like gin0rm0 says you didn't wear anywhere near enough for this weather. Generally cyclists only go out in shorts when the temperature gets to around 15 degrees, anything under 5 degrees and it has to be full winter gear including overshoes.
    Max effort sprinting on a first ride for (?) months - WHY? If you haven't got a base level of miles you won't be able to do any top end work.

Get the right clothing and get some base miles in. :D
  • coombsfh
    Still taking creatine as I am still gymming 5 days a week. Didnt take a drink with me but had 3 pints of water before hand and only did 10 miles so no need....

Why do you ask?
  • coombsfh
    gin0rm0 wrote:
    Hi Fred,

All the best. ;-)

Like gin0rm0 says you didn't wear anywhere near enough for this weather. Generally cyclists only go out in shorts when the temperature gets to around 15 degrees, anything under 5 degrees and it has to be full winter gear including overshoes.
    Max effort sprinting on a first ride for (?) months - WHY? If you haven't got a base level of miles you won't be able to do any top end work.

Get the right clothing and get some base miles in. :D

Max effort because I like going quickly and clothing as was because it is the only bike specific stuff I have... Wil wing a coat on and maybe buy some bibbytights
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    coombsfh wrote:
    Still taking creatine as I am still gymming 5 days a week. Didnt take a drink with me but had 3 pints of water before hand and only did 10 miles so no need....

Why do you ask?

Didn't know it was only 10 miles. I ask because as you know you need to stay well hydrated whilst exercising on creatine and if your not getting enough fluids in you whilst cycling on it you'll struggle.

Personally I dont think creatine and cycling go well together, but thats another thread a.
  • coombsfh
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Personally I dont think creatine and cycling go well together, but thats another thread a.

They possibly don't marry well (always super careful with water) but my main efforts go into strength and grip training, cycling is a sideline I like to do and would like to get better at.

PS just off out now again with slightly more stuff on...
  • coombsfh
    So 10 miles today was loathsome.

Despite more layers on top and stretches before my legs froze and wind (with a bit of snow on top of the hill) meant my legs felt inflexible, flippin' cold and pretty slow. Bibtights high on the agenda as today was markedly more unpleasant than yesterday.

Asked prendas to size me and they estimated 4XL/3XL which seems huge! I wear (applied using a shoehorn atm) Pearl Izummi bibs in L and a "lusso" brand jersey in XL. Is santini stuff made for delicate racing-snake types hence the skewed sizes?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, Santini sizes are for anorexic Italian snakes.