That was a cold ride....

colinsmith123
colinsmith123 Posts: 579
Attempts were being made to snow over the North Downs this morning, but as the saying goes 'it was too cold to snow'.
Anybody else stupid enough to go out and do three hours this morning?

What to do tomorrow, if the forecasted 10cm of snow arrives? Hate the turbo, and I'm banned from the rollers indoors. Getting the mountain bike out seems the option.
Live to ski
Ski to live

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I did 3hrs yesterday and it was still -4 when I got back :D
    Managed 90 mins of sweetspot work this morning in similar temps but today had THE coldest bitter wind as well, which made it pretty unpleasant.
    Turbo for me once it looks slippery...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It was bloody cold but i kept warm until the last 30mins when my fingers went but the roads were nice and dry. There seemed to be a lack of traffic apart from bikes, i think alot of folk went out today because they know what's coming later and tomorrow could well be a no go.
    I couldn't have timed it better though, i got in at 13:50 and it started to snow at 13:55, result!
  • pretty cold this morning but saw several riders out, min temp was minus 8.4 deg c, did 2.5 hrs in the end.
    2152.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822

Puts hand up. Was meant to be three and a half hours but a flurry of snow gave me the excuse to finish early. Didn't go out till eleven so temp was a balmy 1°
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Did a couple of hours this morning.

Because it was cold, had to ride faster to stay warm.. But then my back went (fractured my spine last year in 3 places) and had to turn for home.
  • HiMoz
    HiMoz Posts: 62
    Did 50 miles at -3 pretty much all the way round.

Was chilly but the boot covers, leg warmers, fleece bib tights, arm warmers, base layer, long sleeve fleece, short sleeve jersey, gilet, neck buff, head buff and split finger gloves kept things comfortable.

Dunno what all the fuss is about http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147099326 :)
  • HiMoz wrote:
    Did 50 miles at -3 pretty much all the way round.

Was chilly but the boot covers, leg warmers, fleece bib tights, arm warmers, base layer, long sleeve fleece, short sleeve jersey, gilet, neck buff, head buff and split finger gloves kept things comfortable.

Dunno what all the fuss is about http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147099326 :)

Just checked those Garmin stats - good going Himoz! Especially in those temperatures...
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Managed a very cold 50 miles. Was all pretty good going until we hit some strong crosswinds and snow but it was definitely worth it. I think the warmest it got was -2 according to my garmin :?
    Never ridden in such hard snow but it was quite peaceful really. Hopefully all this crap weather will make me quicker come the summer :D
  • I managed 54 miles by the Garmin, slightly more when you consider that I forgot to restart it after a coffee stop until I was a couple of miles down the road. Tried to snow for the first hour or so, but then the weather clearly got annoyed at me dishing out the pain and opted for a miserable drizzle instead. Still cold, but a lovely day for it when dressed properly. Nearly lost the will to live when I punctured at about 33 miles, but held my resolve to get round and finish the rest.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    Did my commute of Tuesday, temperature when I left was -2. On Thursday it was -4 when I left and the first time I've ever had cold fingers with my current gloves. It was -2 on my return trip. Saturday I went out in the snow and did 30 miles - forgot to wear glasses so couldn't ride above 15mph as I was getting blinded. Did 60 miles yesterday, kept to more regulalry used B roads and an A road up the Wye Valley and half of the ride was on snow covered roads with just the wheel tracks snow free. It's the first winter I've forced myself out in those sorts of temperatures but I'm determined to lose weight and get some form of fitness levels back so if I waited for good days only I'd be sat on my backside getting fatter!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Attempts were being made to snow over the North Downs this morning, but as the saying goes 'it was too cold to snow'.

What to do tomorrow, if the forecasted 10cm of snow arrives? Hate the turbo, and I'm banned from the rollers indoors. Getting the mountain bike out seems the option.
    Too cold to snow? :D I wonder how it snows at the poles then ? :D
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Woar... that was cold (and foggy) - just come in from a brief 34 miler - my SIS bottle's got an inch of solid ice at the bottom - torch lenses have all got thin disks of ice covering them. Beautiful out though at 4:00 am - no traffic at all (except for a few taxis). Moon rides are were it's at :D
  • Still got cold extremities some 5 hours after my 1.5hr training ride this morning. I hated it. I Whilst riding, I couldn't think of anything else but wanting to being warm and how I don't want to do this anymore.

Best is yet to come, the 2.5hr training ride home. Me thinks tomorrow might have to be an unscheduled rest day. :D
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • 28.5 miles each way to and from work today, first time I've done the commute. I figure if it's ok now then it'll just get easier as the year goes on..! Espresso Due jacket has been epic all week, just a baselayer and short sleeved jersey underneath, but today's innovation was a pair of ski gloves. Toasty hands seem to equal warmer feet too. The only casualty was a drinks bottle dropped once home; split right up the side, helped by the lump of ice at the bottom no doubt...
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Usuall 34 miler this mornin - left the house at 4.20 am - very cold - not as bad as yesterday but still frkin freezing ( -2 ). Very frosty but no ice to speak of.