More Garmin HRM issues.

marple_dave
marple_dave Posts: 23
I recently purchased an Edge 500 with "premium" heart rate monitor. Out of the box the strap and transmitter didn't appear to be partularly "premium" quality, certainly when compared with similar items from my Polar FT7 for example. After working OK on the first couple of rides it has subsequently started under recording my heart rate. Readings as low as 40bpm and even nil while riding for examlple and even when I'm thrashing myself to bits only getting up to 130bpm. (My usual average whilst riding is 135ish, reaching 155ish when pushing it - I'm getting on a bit and not very fit at the moment. :cry: )

I will continue to play around with the strap etc. but should it not start recording properly again, would the Edge 500, which is ANT+ compatible, work with my Polar strap and transmitter?

I'm reluctant to return it as the whole boxload will have to go back and now I've sampled the joy of post ride analysis I don't want to be without it. :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Try putting KY Jelly/ any own-brand pharmacist's (e.g. Boots in the UK) water-based lubricant / electro-gel on the sensor pads on the HRM. It should work fine then. Sorted out my problems.

Gordon
  • Thanks Gordon, I'll give it a try.

Dave
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Just spit on them. Cheaper and has the same effect since there's lots of electrolytes in your saliva.
    More problems but still living....
  • Known problem with the premium strap - they invariably work fine for months then just pack up
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Just spit on them. Cheaper and has the same effect since there's lots of electrolytes in your saliva.
    I've been doing that. Long term HRM user and have always licked the sensor pads on any HRM.
  • Known problem with the premium strap - they invariably work fine for months then just pack up
    This doesn't sound so good. :roll:
  • Anyone have any suggestions regarding pairing the unit with my Polar HRM strap/sensor?
    Only used mine twice before it started playing up.
  • Anyone have any suggestions regarding pairing the unit with my Polar HRM strap/sensor?
    Apparently the Polar strap/sensor works with the Garmin transmitter, so problem will ultimately be sorted one way or the other.
    Apparently the Polar strap/sensor works with the Garmin transmitter, so problem will ultimately be sorted one way or the other.
    Well, now tried everything suggested above and the thing still doesn't work properly! :evil: It's gonna have to go back.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The Polar belt works with the Garmin transmitter but the Polar transmitter will not work with the 500.
    Try taking the battery out and shorting the battery contacts in the transmitter. Just put the battery in upside down. Then re-pair the units. It may be worth trying a new battery. You don't know how old the current one has been in the box. If this fails you will have to send it back.