Comments

• Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Just signed up for this.

Looking forward to it 8)
  • bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    John T

The entry list is updated daily, but because we have both online and postal options it has to be collated and then manually loaded onto the website. The next upload is due this weekend.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Cheers Bob.
  • bobh
    It would be good to get an idea of how many riders are taking on sponsorship with Help for Heroes?
  • bobh
    Just to confirm for those who have asked elsewhere, entries will close for the Rumble on the 1st August and unfortunately we can't provide entry on the line.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    did my entry last weekend and will be there in by vc beverley blue and gold. should be good.

how many entrants did you get bob? BC site said there were a few hundred places left which is quite sad given the hugely positive reviews the ride gets.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Just want to say thanks to everyone for organising a great event, really enjoyed it. Challenging route and feed stops were fantastic, especially the banana cake. Lucky with the weather too.

I think the total entry was 370 or around that, it really deserves to have more. I'll be back next year or whenever the event is run again
  • gsk82
    stunning location, good food (by sportive standards) befroe and after, great route, well signposted and good feed stops. also a special mention for the helpers who were at the top of blakey bank and rosedale chimney handing out bottles of water.

only downside was my laziness yesterday to not put my 34t chainring on which must've cost me ages, not just on the climbs but with the extra effort required just to keep moving on them.

best biritsh sportives i've done
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I had a great ride yesterday. I missed gold by 3 minutes, but I'm very pleased as I was aiming at silver.

Very well organised. Good signage. Greate route - even with the twist in the tail of a climb at the very end!

I can't understand why this doesn't sell out.

Thank you to all the orgainisers.
    I should get out more (on the bike)
  • Maybe there would have more entrants if the online entry system worked instead of giving me a link to a blank page! i tried constantly for 3 days prior to entry close date, when i finally got through the event was closed :x nobody answered the given phone number and nobody replied to my email ! ive never had any trouble entering any event other than a BC event, they somehow take something so simple and turn it into something complicated. Why not leave it open till 11:59 the night before like other events do? why not take entries on the line like other events do? if you cant get the basics right then pack up.
  • gsk82
    i enterred the day before no problems so naaaah :P
  • bobh
    Dear Monty666

Sorry to hear of your experiences. The online entry was set up by BC HQ and the Organiser doesn't directly control that process. The telephone numbers on the event website were my company number which is manned from 7.30 until 6.30 and my mobile phone which is always on except when I'm flying as was the case the week before the event. Both systems do however have voicemails and no messages were left about difficulties in entering that weren't then attended to. I also answered every single email about the event, so I'm struggling to see where the communication breaakdown came from

The entries were open for a period of 8 months leaving for most ample time to enter and prepare for a tough event that shouldn't be taken lightly. It's certainly not an event to decide on the day before. We were also hoping to encourage riders to secure sponsorship for our partners Help for Heroes during that time.

We closed the entries just 6 days before the event. As we have to start setting up the event on the Friday that gives us just 3 clear days to buy in all of the provisions for the feeds the pre and post event meals and to ensure that everyone has a tee-shirt in their size. We also have to set up a register of all emergency contacts for each rider as part of our risk assessment . The event is organised by volunteers who all have day jobs and give up much of the remainder of their lives with no payment to be able to put on events for you. Quite frankly comments like these make us wonder why we do it, maybe we should indeed pack up!
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    Bob you do a cracking job ! Don't let morons like that drag u down :roll:
  • If im being perfectly honest im probably more annoyed at myself for not entering this event sooner rather than later, however im not the only one who had this problem as two other riders from the same team could not enter within the same time frame.
    Ive also checked my Outbox which does indicate my message was sent. Ive ridden this event a few times and the organisation , the HQ, and the volunteers have been outstanding not to mention the course itself which i believe to be one the toughest in the country, i should know as ive done almost all of them. i cant quite understand how such a good event can be so undersubscribed. Please dont take my earlier rant literally and pack in as you have huge support for a great event and i'd gutted if as you suggest it was'nt run again next year for any reason, but i do believe there was a glitch in the online entry system which to be fair is out of your control
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I too had problems with entering on-line when I tried back in March, for some reason Internet Explorer didn't like the BC registration page... so I just rang up and got registered and then it was fine.

Second year for me on the Rumble, and after last year's capitulations on Boltby & Blakey I made sure I was better prepared this time - lots of extended commutes home to take in the local hills (excellent training on a hybrid with laden panniers weighing a total of nearly 17kgs), sprint intervals and more hard riding than I'd ever done... and it all paid off, 'cos I got up both of the buggers this year :lol::D:lol: and got a silver time so doubly chuffed. As before a massive round of applause and huge thanks to Bob and his team for giving their time to put on a great day, and chapeau to whoever made the Parkin cake on offer at Hutton-le-Hole feed-stop - delightful!

PS - thanks also due to the lady and the young lad on the final bend at the top of Boltby who yelled 'Come on, you've nearly cracked it!' just as my heart was about to shut down in protest... :lol:
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    well done pollys butt good ride, wanted to do this myself couldnt get time off work hopefully next year if event will be run.

what a pointless comment above from GSK82.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I was up at my folks in Glaisdale at the weekend and saw a good few riders come through as I was out walking the dog on the stretch just before what you refer to as Caper Hill (or Common Lane to the locals) which I think they went on from there to do Rosedale Chimney - thats a killer 6 mile stretch with those two climbs (and a smaller one just past Hamer) in it. Well done to all who did it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gsk82
    COPPER585 wrote:
    well done pollys butt good ride, wanted to do this myself couldnt get time off work hopefully next year if event will be run.

what a pointless comment above from GSK82.

not pointless, it was in response to the pathetic post above
  • bobh
    t4tommo

I couldn't be so sadistic as to send riders straight to Rosedale from Glaisdale. They went around the Glaisdale loop instead turning just before Egton Bridge and then back on the Roman road and over Wheeldale. Not a piece of cake by any means but it evens the climbs out a bit and takes in a bit more of the countyside.
  • bobh
    Apologies but our webmaster appears to have gone away for a few days taking the back door key for the website with him. Rather than keeping you waiting please find the following links for times and photos.

Results:
    http://results.sportident.co.uk/home/ev ... 9b21fb6176

Photos:
    http://martin.photium.com/portfolio210124.html

Bob Howden
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Another brilliant event Bob, apart from the condition of the minor roads for the 1st 20 or so miles which left a lot to be desired, but that was mainly down to the torrential rain the day before washing debris onto the road, was still surprised (and pleased) at the small number of punctures en route.
    Organisation was second to none, feedstops were excellent especially that banana cake as mentioned previously - who has the recipe?
    The marshals and other volunteers were all friendly and helpful and a credit to your team. The route as usual, was well thought out, and looking through results it appears lots of other entrants like myself really went for it after the final feedstop at Hutton.
    That last 2.5miles run up to HQ is a real sting in the tail - so near yet so far.
    Once again thanx to you and your team for organising what, in my opinion is the best, yet undersubscribed event.
    Hope you can get something sorted for next year, if not, will be back in 2013
  • jomoj
    hi Bob (if you get a notification for this thread) or anyone involved in the organisation

i noticed that cyclosport is listing a rumble for 2012 and wondered if this is going ahead after all or whether someone on the website has just got a bit ahead of themselves.

http://www.cyclosport.org/event/02-Sep- ... umble.html
  • bobh
    Hi Jomoj

Yes the Ryedale Rumble is being held in 2012.

After last years event I'd indicated that we might have to take a year off. The reason given that as a BC Region some of us would be down in London for the Olympics. What I couldn't say at the time was that we were also bidding to organise the National Road Race Championships on the 24th June and having done a couple of those before I realised that this years event would be a big event to do with the London Olympics only a month or so after.

Well we won the bid and what I also won was lots of emails from Rumblers asking me to re-consider. I also underestimated the response from the organising team who all said they were up for it if I could only give them a bit of a breather between the two. So by moving the date back as far as I can to the 2nd September we have the solution and the Ryedale Rumble rides again! The event will follow exactly the same format as last year's promotion except that we will start each ride 30 minutes later so that the routing checkers don't have to fumble around in the dark.

The website is currently under a major re-build but this should be ready together with BC's online entry by the end of January. So check in at http://www.ryedalerumble.co.uk nearer the time if you want to take up the challenge.

Bob H
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Great news Bob!
    A great ride and already looking forward to it.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • jomoj
    Good stuff, I'll be there
  • Great to hear the Rumble will be running in 2012 Bob! I've done this for the past two years and thoroughly enjoyed it (most of it, maybe not the climb up Caper Hill...). This has got to be one of the best sportives in the country.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Good news about 2012. Did this event a few years back and wanted to add it to my 2012 calander and the new date suits me better.
    Brian B.
  • gsk82
    i might see you there then brian, this is almost a local sportive for me and was a great event last year.
  • gsk82
    great news about the national championship bob, i didnt know you'd got it. has the rute been decided yet?
  • bobh
    Yes the National Road Champs will also use Ampleforth and the Finishing straight will be the same drag that's faced by Rumblers. There will be two circuits both lap through the Ampleforth grounds. The Women and the Men will both be on the same day the 24th June.

We are looking for marshals for the event if anyone wants to be involved there's a free tee-shirt,food and maybe the chance to rub shoulders with Cav et al. We'll also give you a £10 cash back on your Rumble entry.

If you're interested wing me an email to bobhowden@grasscrete.com