Ryedale Rumble

brin
brin Posts: 1,122
Anyone wanting a well organized challenging sportive ought to give this one a go, some really tough ascents and exhilerating descents coupled with great scenic roads make it an enjoyable ride through N.Yorks
Having rode the mid route last 2 years gonna attempt the big one this year, which includes the formidable 'chimney'.
The HQ is set in fantastic grounds of Ampleforth Abbey College, which is a wonderful sight to behold upon finishing.
Only around 60 participants to date - deserves a much bigger field.

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i'll be there but with a few guys from vc beverley haven't booked in yet. want to make sure i still like riding my bike after the marmotte first.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • MickTup
    MickTup Posts: 159
    Considering this one myself unsure what gearing I’ll need to tackle the chimney got round the Richmond 5 dale on 39 x 25. Any advice please?
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    MickTup wrote:
    Considering this one myself unsure what gearing I’ll need to tackle the chimney got round the Richmond 5 dale on 39 x 25. Any advice please?

Go for a 28 on the back. I too did the Richmond & the Etape du Dales on a 25 & that's quite "do-able"...Rumble is a different animal altogether. Last year I had a SRAM 26t on the back & got up Boltby & Blakey alright but Glaisedale & The Chimney were murder...deadspotting all the way up, if you're strong you can get up them but I'm opting for a 28 this year.
  • MickTup
    MickTup Posts: 159
    Thanks for the info andy162 28 it is
  • Have to say to anyone who can make this ride - do it. Rode this for the first time last year - best organised and enjoyable sportive I've done. The start and finish at Ampleforth College is spectacular and great to return to at the end of 110 miles.

Food wise its the best you wil get - breakfast if you want it and the post ride pasta was just what was needed. As for the feed stops they were all well stocked with cakes, sandwiches, sausage rolls, soup, tea etc. Brilliant and the local volunteers were fantastic.

Finally the countryside and the hills will leave you breathless both for their beauty and difficulty but well wotrh it either way - for the record I ended up walking on Rosedale Chimney - not this year.

There are lots of big sportives out there which take the p**s with to many riders or excessive entry fees or poor standards. This ain't one so get yourself over the Pennines and give it a go. I'll be riding again for sure.
  • TigerHat
    TigerHat Posts: 3
    Surprised there's only 60 entrants - I did the full route last year and absolutely loved it - great food before during and after, good banter from the marshalls, and great car free roads. I got round with a 12 27 last year, currently got a 11 25 on the back but will change to a 11 28 before I do this one this year.

I've done the Etape Du Dales route and totally agree that the climbs in this are tougher - The Rosedale Chimney is tough. And Caper Hill is absolutely relentless.
  • bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    Entries now starting to come in for the event, up on same stage last year.

For the Chimney a lot depends on settling back into a rhythm after the hair pins at the bottom, get the wrong line or go into the red there and you'll struggle all the way.

There's no shame in walking on the chimney, you also have the advantage of being able to look back and if the ride to that point hasn't taken your breath away that sight will. The North York Moors offers some spectacular views with each of its Dales having contrasting landscapes. Each of its climbs has a signature that will have you talking about them for weeks afterwards.

Your kind comments about the structure of the event are most welcome and encouraging. For this year we are supporting Help for Heroes. Individual sponsorship is entirely optional but if 500 riders managed to encourage just 10 people to sponsor them for 10 pence per mile then we would be looking at £35,000 or so to contribute to the charity.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Making the date a bit more prominent on the website might help with numbers Bob. :wink:
  • bobh
    Well spotted that man!

We'll get that changed as soon as we can
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I can only echo what has been said above - great route, people and scenery. If you've not been up there before then make this the year - you won't be disappointed. Doing it again this year and hoping to ride it all rather than walk up some of Boltby & Blakey Banks...
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Think I'm going to give this one a go, looks like a good route, not too far from home and seems to get a good write up. Most likely go for the middle distance and put faith in my triple unless I can magic some extra training time out of nowhere.

here's the website and entry links:
    http://www.ryedalerumble.co.uk/
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... ale-Rumble

284 places left on ride 1 and 166 on ride 2 as of today
  • SNACK-HEAD
    SNACK-HEAD Posts: 35
    The best sportive for all the best reasons. Did it for the first time last year feeling pretty fit and it hammered me, more so than the whitton, dales , pendle. etc. Which is a good challenge in my opinion.
    Managed on 36-26, just.
    Hopefully try again this year.
    Well done to the people involved , food stop helpers and marshalls. The money doesn`t line someones pocket as some other events try.
    Thanks Rumblers.
    PART TIME WASTER
  • jomoj
    OK, that's me paid up. Better do some hills...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    andy162 wrote:
    MickTup wrote:

Go for a 28 on the back. I too did the Richmond & the Etape du Dales on a 25 & that's quite "do-able"...Rumble is a different animal altogether. Last year I had a SRAM 26t on the back & got up Boltby & Blakey alright but Glaisedale & The Chimney were murder...deadspotting all the way up, if you're strong you can get up them but I'm opting for a 28 this year.

I'd second a 28 on the back. I was born and brought up in Glaisdale so went up the Chimney and the three 1in3 hills out of Glaisdale a lot. Could never quite manage them on the Raleigh Commando but could climb them on a 10 speed Viking Warlord, which I'm sure was nowhere near as low as 39X28, but I was in my teens but you really had to stand on the pedals to keep moving forwards up the steepest bits.

The Chimney is I reckon the steepest / ultimate climb in the UK, plus depending on the approach, you've done some decent warm ups just to get to it. (i would have to do Glaisdale Common Lane, the big dip past Hamer and then Chimney Bank in the space of about 6 miles.) Its cracking cycling country - glacial valleys with flatish bottoms but very steep sides and beautiful views everywhere.

Wish I still lived up there and I'd be on this like a shot.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jomoj
    can anyone recommend a b&b in the area near the start? Might drag the family down and make a weekend of it.

I'm going to run a 28 on the back and might even swap my 30 granny for a 26... or is that going too far? :)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    30 X 28 will be easily low enough its a 1:3 road, not a rock climb.

If you can't get up it with that it isn't a gearing problem!

My folks do B&B in Glaisdale - handy for watching you suffer up Chimney Bank but not at all close to the start.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • TigerHat
    TigerHat Posts: 3
    Right I'm signed up for the long version!

Agree with t4tomo - you'll be fine with a 30 x 28!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Clashes with Phil n Friends - probably why I (and others) can't do both.

Shame - but wont dwell on it as there was a long thread.

Next year I want to do both!
  • jomoj
    ..was joking about the 26T chainring... really. I have winched myself up that incline on an MTB so should be fine on the roadbike.
  • bobh
    The Rumble will probably take a year off in 2012 as the normal date clashes with something else happening in London. So if you were thinking of leaving the experience until next year then please don't.

If anyone is looking for digs or good camp sites then contact maltontic@btconnect.com mention that it's for the Ryedale Rumble and they will make the booking for you.

Still plenty of room for entries so don't be a dithering, we need an idea of final numbers to be able to keep the feeds stocked to the sort of standard that we feel you'll appreciate.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Can't do it this year as on holiday. Shame as I did the last 2 and can state that this is the loveliest sportive going. Puts others to shame with both route, scenery and food (Cyclone please take note!).
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bobh
    North Yorkshire Council have advised us that they are to be undertaking repairs on the Wheeldale to Stape road. For Regular Rumblers it's the rough section after the ford with the beach! It shouldn't affect the Rumble however (except making it easier) as they won't be weekend working.

Entries starting to fill up now, but still plenty of room.
  • brin
    Is that a wise decision not to run the Rumble next year Bob? considering in the past there have been a few conflicting posts about the Rumble clashing with the Phil Ligget ride, you may lose a few regulars if there is only the one ride next year. Personally can't see what the problem is regarding the olympics being staged the same date. As has been well critically publicised most people can't get tickets, and we all (most of us ) have some form of recording devices should we wish to watch it later, just a thought?
  • jomoj
    I would have thought that having cycling on the tv would inspire more people to want to ride rather than less
  • bobh
    Hi Brin

Point taken but there are several factors one is the potential for a reduced entry level as the date would conflict with the main track finals. We really don't make the sort of money on the event to give us the head room to speculate on entry levels. Any money that we make goes towards our Youth team, to make a loss would place our plans for them in jeopardy.

The second factor is that we are likely to have a depleted organisational team, including me, we are a British Cycling Region and some of us have involvement at National level.
    Organising an event like the Rumble is a massive commitment and unless we can be confident of having everthing and everyone in place we can't take the risk of not achieving the sort of standard that we want you to have. It might be possible to shift the date but the calendar is already congested and we wouldn't want to be the cause of conflict with another event.

Let's see how we go this year, an influx of entries would help right now.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    jomoj wrote:
    can anyone recommend a b&b in the area near the start? Might drag the family down and make a weekend of it.

I'm going to run a 28 on the back and might even swap my 30 granny for a 26... or is that going too far? :)
    Try Lucy Saggers in Ampleforth village
    Ampleforth. SC. Mrs. L. Saggers. 01439 788472 /. 07899 977 199 ...

I live in the grounds of the Abbey and can confirm the whole area is indeed fantastic.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • jomoj
    expat -great, thanks for the recommendation.

@bobh - ah I see there's a lot more to it. Well hopefully it'll continue to fill up, I've persuaded a couple more folk to enter this week anyway.
  • brin
    Fair comment Bob, thanx for the explanation, can understand there are a lot of things behind the scenes that us mere mortals are unaware of, looking forward to this years event all the same, hope it gets the support it merits.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i'll be there in august along with few other vc beverley riders hopefully. really looking forward to it
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    How often does the entry list get updated. I entered last Friday and am not on the list yet. None of my club-mates are on yet either.