On-One 456 Summer Season

2»

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've been using a superstar laser chain device until recently, the bolts are like cheese, but you don't have do them up particularly tight anyway. Never dropped a chain with it, the superstar XCR guide is a good bit of kit too, using one of them on my hardtail. I know people that swear by the plasma as well, decent bit of kit.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    joshtp wrote:

Why wouldn't you be able to use the ISCG mounts on your Summer Season? I do...

AS for 1x9 - it's great - it does restrict you in some cases, particularly going up hills - but use a 32 ring and that's not too bad. though a 34/6 will be better for DH. Over all though I love the simplicity, light weight, and lack of maintenance... it's just easier!

I have a carbon 456, not a summer 456, so I don't have ISCG mounts.

As for 1x9, i'm thinking i'll go 32T now as you say, probably going to get a single speed chainring (non-ramped) from On-One. I can always change it to bigger if necessary.
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I've been using a superstar laser chain device until recently, the bolts are like cheese, but you don't have do them up particularly tight anyway. Never dropped a chain with it, the superstar XCR guide is a good bit of kit too, using one of them on my hardtail. I know people that swear by the plasma as well, decent bit of kit.

You are no help...you say all three devices are good :lol: The XCR guide has just come back in stock in black-black so think I might go for one of them first. But then i'm nervous that one bad chain drop (suck) might rip a nice hole in the carbon chain stay :( so thinking that the laser or plasma may be good too as they look like they'd potentially hold the chain better. I hate the choices...I don't mind spending money when I know I want something, but when i'm undecided I hate it.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    crazy88
    I've got all 3, and all are bb mounts.

The lazer is quite chunky and heavy and (in my opinion) not the best looking thing in the world. For me set up was also quite difficult, it was hard to get enough clearance between the granny mounts and the back plates; some fiddling with bb spacers sorted it.

The XC guide is a lovely bit of kit, light and cheap - does the job brilliantly. Set up was ok, however i had to shim out the cage (as aposed to the backplate) in order to get the chain to run centrally. I run it on my cross country bike and it works fine, however the lack of a bottom roller means that if you like bouncy, bumpy trails then you may find the chain sheds from the bottom.

The plazma is my current favourite, although the most expensive. (For me) the styling is nice and in found it easyer to set up than the lazer. It's never dropped a chain (with either a full top cage or with the bashguard configuration) and i'm happy with it.

Hopefully that'll be of some use to you :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • ilovedirt
    I'd pretty much agree with what torres said there ^^

The laser does the job perfectly fine (i did have some issues with the granny ring mounts and the back plate as well, but nothing a file/hacksaw can't take care of), but it is pretty weighty and not great looking.

The XCR guide is great for cross country/trail centre use, but I wouldn't use it for anything more than that.

The plasma is the one I would go for if i was going to hit anything a bit bumpy/gnarly. It's lighter and nicer looking than the laser guide, but should do the job just as well. However if you're going to be riding downhill (probably doesn't apply to you), the plasma doesn't represent that great value for money, as it doesn't come with a bash guard, which you would have to buy separately, and for that kind of money, you could get an MRP or something.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tomorrow night I'm going to try out the 456SS on a xc night ride to decide which of my bikes has to go to make way for my new Specialized Status. I'm hoping the 456SS is good enough for xc to make my mind up to sell the Trance. I just hope the 1x9 gearing doesn't kill me :?
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    Torres/ ilovedirt

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate them. I will mainly be riding trail centre type terrain so wondering whether to just go for the xcr guide. It's the cheapest, and I guess I can always upgrade if I feel necessary.

Rockmonkey, let us know how you get on with the 1x9 setup. And I hope the 456SS is good enough for you! :)
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • ilovedirt
    If you're mostly riding trail centre and XC, the XCR guide should be fine, it's what i have on my 456 (the picture in my sig isn't very current) and it works fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not sure where all my pics have gone :?
    Give it a good service & check over today. After 9 months of downhill, freeride, hucking off big & bigger drops, jumping, launching it in to trees and general abuse I was kind of expecting to find a crack or two in the frame. This thing is bombproof, I have landed it to flat off 10 foot drops & cased loads of jumps & every part including the frame and forks are still like new. For what this frame cost I'm really impressed, rides great & is solid.
    Must try harder next year, I will find out how much abuse these frames will take :D
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Not sure where all my pics have gone :?

This thing is bombproof, I have landed it to flat off 10 foot drops & cased loads of jumps & every part including the frame and forks are still like new. For what this frame cost I'm really impressed, rides great & is solid.
    Must try harder next year, I will find out how much abuse these frames will take :D

Get your pics back up, that bike looked sweeet.

I'm amazed at how solid these things really are, I mean obviously you'd hope any bike could take a bit of a hammering but these things are stupidly strong. I've given mine a stupid level of abuse to see what it's up to/I'm up to and you'd never notice, the wheels are holding up well too, given them a proper good thrashing and bodged a few big landings and still true as they were when new.