On-One 456 Summer Season

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited January 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Here is my On One 456 Summer Season. Not much so far but should be built buy the end of next month when I decide exactly what bits I want to use.
When finished it will be used for going banzai down the local trails and general fun, the sort of stuff I wouldn't want to do on my more expensive, light weight full sus Giant Trance.
Still can't decide on forks, Rockshox Sektors would probably do a pretty good job but I am tempted to put on Domains, though I have been told that it may handle like a barge.
Going for mainly black components, possibly with a nice grey hope headset, qr seat clamp & skewer for the rear will.

5324180663_1d14f8e524.jpg

5324180645_a49eb7c953.jpg

Parts so far:

On-One 456 Summer Season frame 18" in glow in the dark green
Intense MAG30 DH rims on Hope pro 2 rear hub & Intense front hub
FSA Gravity bars - 710 wide 25 rise
Avid Juicy 7 brakes with 203 rotors
Superstar grips

Will post more pics when I actually start putting it together in a couple of weeks.
The frame really does glow up nicely as well but my camera is crap so the photo didn't come out.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    It's going to look nice when built up but I'd keep with the black components.
  • Sweet... don't back down with building it to go big... buy domains!
  • btw... pics of glow in the dark are mandatory!
  • rockmonkeysc
    The nice man at TF Tuned told me that it would probably handle like a canal boat with a 160 fork and that the Domain isn't the best built fork. Would Ideally like a shortened Lyrik or Fox 36.
    Need a better camera for the glow in the dark pics
  • I'm looking forward to seeing this ready to ride. elements to a top build to far.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Think it's going to be heavy (DH wheels & tyres) but should be fun. Cant wait to get out on the local DH trails with it
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nice, i think someone has bolted some dinner plates to your wheels though, or are those your rotors?!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The nice man at TF Tuned told me that it would probably handle like a canal boat with a 160 fork and that the Domain isn't the best built fork. Would Ideally like a shortened Lyrik or Fox 36.

if it was the normal 456 I would agree. but its not!

Did they give a reason why the domain isn't a good fork?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not as well built as it could be, something to do with something in the lowers being press fitted and not serviceable.
  • The long domains will make slow speed handling interesting to say the least, but pointing it downhill will be supreme!! Do it!!
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    People often think the Summer Season is intended for longer forks than the standard 456 - it's not. Although it's still warrentied for a 160mm fork, it was designed to be run with a shorter fork, and still achieve a slack head angle (if i remember correctly, it's 66.6 degrees with a 130mm fork)

So by all means, for some domains/totems/lyriks, but it'll have the head angle of a full-on downhill bike.

ps - i have a 456 with a 100mm recon / 140mm pike :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have at last decided on forks & a nice new set of shiny black Rockshox Domain 318 U-Turn arrived this morning. Straight down to the shop to get the BB shell & head tube faced, headset fitted & fork crown race faced/fitted.
    Now that I have got big freeride forks I have decided on a DH only build, it's going to be a bit heavy for cross country I think.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A bit of an update. Got bored so started assembling it even though I'm missing quite a few bits. I'm going to do this properly first time so not buying whatever bits are on sale just because they are cheap. I have a plan and it will (I hope) be awesome (but on the heavy side)

5398644480_0cd53298b6.jpg
    This is what I have got so far

5398045149_7ac9a38119.jpg
    FSA Gravity Gap stem & FSA Gravity DH bars

5398047373_7f7e58fc57.jpg
    Partly assembled front end. Rockshox Domain 318 IS 160 U-turn forks, FSA Pig Pro DH headset, Superstar grips & Avid Juicy Seven brakes with goodridge steel hoses.

5398650952_d341e59814.jpg
    I'gm guessing felx won't be an issue with this front end set up.
  • nah the domains are an awesome fork... jsut a bit heavy.

Loved them on my NS... they performed superbly!
  • Lookin' good. I'm currently building one in 20" GITD. : :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    One last update before completion.
    Have added Deore cranks (temporarily from my Hardrock to be replaced with Saints), Superstar plasma chain device, Gusset Slim Jim pedals (to be replaced with some black ones) and a 9 speed SLX mech & shifter.
    Taking it to local bike shop tomorrow to have chain fitted, brake hoses shortened & gear cable sorted. Have got a Deity components DH saddle & waiting for a Nukeproof warhead seat post.

[img][/img]5471893026_5f6cb5340b.jpg

Will be riding it in my first mini DH race is in 3 weeks :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's finished at last and looks & rides better than I expected.

5496933505_97d4933551.jpg

Spec list:

Frame - 456 Summer Season 18"
    Forks - Rockshox Domain 160 U-turn
    Wheels - Intense MAG 30 DH
    Bars & Stem - FSA Gravity
    Headset - FSA Pig Pro DH
    Crankset - Deore (to be replaced with Saint)
    Saddle - Deity DH
    Shifter & mech - SLX 9 speed
    Brakes - Avid Juicy 7 with 203 rotors
    Pedals - Gussett slim jims (to be replaced with some black ones)
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    nice build 8)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    very nice :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    First ride today. After 10 miles XC I was surprised how good it is for XC, felt reasonably light, climbs well and good fun on single track. When I was happy that it was all set up ok & I was happy that all the bolts had been tightened I headed for the DH track. On the rough stuff it feels a LOT more stable than my Trance X and the steel frame does a good job of making the ride a little more comfortable. Through the long flowing loose corners it was awesome, drifting nicely and riding much faster everywhere than I could on my Trance X.
    Just want some wider bars now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Another update. Doing monthly DH races now and improving quickly (thanks to training from Chris Smith). This bike is bomb proof & massive fun.
    Only breakage so far is a smashed front hub & a bent lever. Straightened the lever & re-built the wheel with a superstar hub.
    Absolutely love this bike, wouldn't change a thing about the build.

6014514434_d74591a5a3.jpg
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Looking good

Can't wait to get mine finished, just need another £200 or so then I'll be able to get the drivetrain ordered.
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    That's lovely mate! I have a carbon 456 frame that i'm about to start buying bits for. I was going to go for the superstar xcm chain device, but the plasma looks sweet on yours! How are you finding the 1x9 setup?
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I have/had a plasma.

Great chain device.

until...

snapped the whole bottom guide after 3 months of trail riding... it's a good guide.. I'm just not sure it's up to anything too hardcore...

1x9 though is fantastic!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • crazy88
    What do you use now then?

The frame doesnt have iscg, so it'll have to BB mount only. Glad you like 1x9, the idea is growing on me more and more.

And thanks for the reply! Always appreciate other peoples knowledge.
  • rockmonkeysc
    My plasma is great, no problem. The Southern Downhill race team also use plasma devices with no problems.
  • crazy88
    I'm assuming you use the ISCG mounts then? I'd have to go BB mount, so just wondering whether that'd cause any problems. I wonder if they're a pain to set up correctly for example. Time to go research!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    I know a couple of people who use the BB mount plasma chain device without problems, shouldn't be too tricky to set up.
    My Pllasma device works superbly, it have never dropped the chain, it just does exactly what it should and was cheap :)
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    My Pllasma device works superbly, it have never dropped the chain, it just does exactly what it should and was cheap :)
    Most importantly it looks good.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Mine was ISCG mounted... dont get me wrong... good device, light, looks good, kept the chain on... it's just the plastic is like cheese and the alu is soft.

use some random one the LBS hooked me up with for cheap now... it's a heavy, loud, draggy beast - but if I snap it I'll eat my hair. Never drops a chain, and never going to break.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the ISCG mounts on your Summer Season? I do...

AS for 1x9 - it's great - it does restrict you in some cases, particularly going up hills - but use a 32 ring and that's not too bad. though a 34/6 will be better for DH. Over all though I love the simplicity, light weight, and lack of maintenance... it's just easier!
    I like bikes and stuff