Turbo trainer advice

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
As some of you might know I'm off the bike for a month as my wrist is in a cast.

The missus has given me a green light for a turbo trainer.

Anyone got any recommendations or are they all much of a muchness? Also with usage I'm sure i've read that they wear tyres down fairly brutally...

Thanks
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I have the Elite Mag Speed. Don't know if they still make it but I'm sure there's something similar available.

It's OK. Bit noisy between 40 - 50 kph, but that might just be a fault with mine. The rest of the time it's pretty quiet. Nice and stable though and the resistance range is good (and easy to change).

Yes, the tyres do wear - but not as quickly as I expected.

Highly recommend getting a front riser block, a fan and some sufferfest vids. Oh, and a proper skewer, e.g. the Tacx one.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if you aren't going to be out on the road at all change the tyre for a turbo tyre
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've got this (although bought it second-hand from JG a couple of years ago).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-classi ... -with-dvd/

I just use tyres I can't use on the road anymore because they've suffered too many deflations. If you've no spares, I've got one you can have. I've had the same one (Michelin Krylion) on for a year, I think.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I know nothing about these things but review on this look good.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-hom ... ding-tyre/
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:
    I've got this (although bought it second-hand from JG a couple of years ago).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-classi ... -with-dvd/

I just use tyres I can't use on the road anymore because they've suffered too many deflations. If you've no spares, I've got one you can have. I've had the same one (Michelin Krylion) on for a year, I think.

Not sure I'm capable of swapping a tyre over to be honest

How much noise does it generate? I like the idea of a dvd as well, keep interest up and push me on a bit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    iPod works, too.

Not too noisy. Well, the neighbours don't complain.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Also been recommended this one

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-sirius-folding-cycle-trainer/

Anyone have any experience?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Air resistance for progressive but limited resistance, lots of noise and money in your pocket
    Magnetic resistance for a couple of various resistance levels, fairly quiet and mid priced
    Fluid resistance for the best progressive resistance and real road riding simulation. Most expensive. Quiet.

Sufferfest is a must!
  • Clever Pun
    that's very helpful, thanks barry
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,058
    That sucks dude but we've all been there, if you bring a wheel to the morpeth sometime I'd be more than happy to fit it with one of my ex commuting tyres for ya.

Get well soon fella
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Sorry to hear that Clever Pun, i'm in the same boat as you, but at least the offender stopped in my case.

I have the cyclops2 as well, its very good and will be teaming it up with a Garmin + speed sensor once my bruises have gone. I have never bothered with changing tyres before running it before but have read that a single session on a turbo can destroy a back tyre. Sounds like a challenge :)

I'm off to vote to vote for turbo miles on the Stats page: good luck and heal soon.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Just don't forget to use the code 10-OFF if ordering from Wiggle. :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    If you can afford it Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll; they are great. I have the old version and love it.
    If you can't go for the road machine also by Kurt kinetic.

Remember all other fluid trainers will eventually leak.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Also been recommended this one

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-sirius-folding-cycle-trainer/

Anyone have any experience?

I've got that one, quality bit of kit. Solid to ride on with a nice bit if flex to make it a bit realistic. Really quiet too, I use it downstairs when the kids are in bed and don't disturb them. I don't use a special tyre either, and I've had no issues at all with wear.

Make sure you get the riser block for the front wheel though, it feels really weird without it and hurts your nads.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    We got my son the Elite Crono fluid trainer when they were heavily reduced (for his rehabilitation physio). It's very good - not at all noisy - family use it in the (open plan) house without really disturbing anyone. I've used it in the garage (still sweated buckets despite freezing temps). My only criticism is that on 54/11, there isn't quite as much resistance as I'd like (pushing me up a hill takes more effort) but that's at the extreme. Otherwise very happy with it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH