new to biking - need advice on basic entry level bike

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's the problem with their silly sytem, it doesn't update quick enough. Would have been sold.

Take a look at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-FREER ... 7dbcaaa371
  • Yeah, I've made a complaint I'll see whether they offer me anything.

That seems like a decent one, i just wish I could find something of that standard in the shops as I really don't want to buy online. May not have much choice it seems.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I have a virtually unused 18" vulcan v spec '09 which will hopefully be for sale very shortly... Where are you based?
  • Oldbury, w.mids
  • Thoughts on this one:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52-2011-id_8156187.html

Its a little more than I wanted to pay, but im gonna go and have a look in the shop tomorrow so would like to be armed with a bit of knowledge. Oh and i just measured my inside leg, 33" and that isnt pulling the tape all the way into my groin either. So i think 18" frame may end up too small.

Thanks
  • supersonic
    That would be my recommendation if you were to up the budget. Superb bike, award winner.

Forget the measuring tape lark if you can see the bike, just sit on them in the shop! I ride 17, 18 and 20.5 inch bikes ;-)
  • Know of a review anywhere?

Thanks for your help :)

Also, just want to check, this bike would be suitable for road use as well won't it? I want to do trails and stuff but casual mid week rides will be road only, especially for the next couple months until the nights are light enough to venture further afield in the car.
  • supersonic
    We reviewed the older model, but little has changed.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... er-52-8964

Though is a little heavier.
  • Hi all.

Well I went to have a look at the rockrider 5.2 and i was unsure about a couple of things:

* the tires - very wide (almost seemed circular in cross section) and sparcely treaded. Looked prone to punctures?
    * the pedals - metal, with attachments that go over the shoes
    * the chain ring, no protector on front chain ring- won't clothes get snagged easily?

I didn't really like the rockrider 5.1 that much either, frame looks wierd.

Oh and also, some bikes they had built up where the left brake operated the rear, others it was the left brake operating the front. I thought this odd.

Thanks
  • supersonic
    Some come from the continent where brakes are reversed - just indicate that you want them the Brit way when the build it ;-)

The pedal straps come off.

Budget tyres have that much rubber on them they probably won't puncture!

Nobody uses chain guards as the bend and eventually snap off - trouser clips are much better!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Standard UK is rear on the left, continental is rear on the right, it's possible that as Decathlon is french they are reversed at PDI (but that is just a guess).

Trousers can snag on the front chainwheel but most mountain bikers wear shorts! Or you can use clips or tuck them in your socks, some can have trouser guards added (or come with them), but most people ridicule them!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well im disappointed to say the least. Having reserved online the Cararra Vulcan V spec from Perry Barr, have today been phoned to say that they don't have it, even though it let me reserve it through their website.

Back to the drawing board.

Hey Dan, I am also from Oldbury W.Mids and also looking for a decent entry level Mountain Bike and my top choice at present is defo the Rockrider 5.2. I have also noticed the Carrera Vulcan V Spec 09 on Sale and was wandering why you ordered from Perry Barr as Halfords Oldbury, Selly Oak, Merry Hill, Bordesley Green, Bilston, Maypole and Amblecote are closer? They all indicate that the Carrera is available for Pick-Up too, so I am presuming it is a silly system as pointed out by SS?

Whilst on the subject SS, would you recommend the Carrera over the 5.2?

Thanks Chris
  • supersonic
    I'd recommend whatever fits you best, as bost are very good entry level MTBs.
  • Hi all.

Well I went to have a look at the rockrider 5.2 and i was unsure about a couple of things:

* the tires - very wide (almost seemed circular in cross section) and sparcely treaded. Looked prone to punctures?
    * the pedals - metal, with attachments that go over the shoes
    * the chain ring, no protector on front chain ring- won't clothes get snagged easily?

I didn't really like the rockrider 5.1 that much either, frame looks wierd.

Oh and also, some bikes they had built up where the left brake operated the rear, others it was the left brake operating the front. I thought this odd.

Thanks
    Is that the Decathlon in Wednesbury J9 M6? They have part assembled bikes, incorrectly assembled bikes galore! And they are on display - not a good start!
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • Thanks[/quote]
    Is that the Decathlon in Wednesbury J9 M6? They have part assembled bikes, incorrectly assembled bikes galore! And they are on display - not a good start![/quote]

Hey Lou, interesting quote and the 1st negative I have heard about this Store. Have you any recommendations of where else or what else to buy locally for the $$? Surely this does not take away the build quality of the Rockriders?