Recommended bearing grease?

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone have a favourite? Or does it not matter too much

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a big tin of basic bearing grease I use for everything.
    But I'm sure plenty will recommend all manner of special bike greases.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've been using the same pot of car wheel bearing grease borrowed from my dad since I was about 7. I'm now 33....but I am starting to think about buying my own!

I find it hard to justify the prices on incy wincy little tubes mind. So I too would like to know if there's any noticeable difference.
  • add595
    add595 Posts: 196
    I would not use:
    - Lithium grease, as it dries out (apparently)
    - High temperature/high impact grease as it is not suitable for low temperature and low impact bicycle applications!
    - Stupidly expensive (and small) tubes of grease sold as 'bicycle specific'
    - Anything that has a hard or runny viscosity

I have a tin of Carlube Moly grease that works well and is cheap

This stuff, in fact: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/140587629717 .... which I have just noticed states it is lithium based :?
    2009 Giant Trance X5
    Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
    Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
    Various other parts 'n' projects
  • cooldad
    Oops
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lithium hs a habit of welding metals together too, and rotting seals.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I had a look for the most expensive grease I could find. Token bearing grease £7.99 for 10 grams. Yes thats right greasing your headset will cost you about a fiver :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Funnily enough just did a training course on the different properties of lubrication greases a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was going to be boring as hell but actually turned out to be quite informative. One useful thing i found out was the wonderful properties of semi-solid greases such as graphite grease. Put some of this stuff in your bearings for a while and it will smooth and polish your bearings back up to a mirror shine and re-smooth your bearing races, turning old knackered bearings and races back into something usable again. Remove after a couple of weeks and slap some regular Teflon grease (or any of the usual alternatives) back in.
  • cooldad
    Or be a lazy arse and forget about it and it will wear them away.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I use this pot of marine grade grease. It's waterproof so it tends to keep those elements away.