Tossing Life !!

Kamzter
Kamzter Posts: 191
Just wondered how you guys get aroung training when you have to balance work, family life and training?
I work 06:00 - 16:00 and then by the time I get home, its family time with my 10 month old for a couple of hours.
By that time its thinking about getting some grub on the go and train at the same time, which some nights becomes a pain if there is a rush for something.
I tend to cycle to and from work of 3 miles each way and then spend an hour on the speed bike so I can see the mrs also whilst training.

Weekends I either go out for a leisurely 30-40+ mile ride or a couple of hours on the speed bike if its a busy weekend or a rough day.

It would be nice to get into a settled routine so just wondered if you guys had an idea or have struggled too.
As much as I adore my cycling and challenges that I do, family time is important to me as I do not intend on ruining another relationship because I took my personal hobbies/interests first.
40 mph in a 30 zone officer? nah, I've only been out for the last 5 minutes !!

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    when you say 'training' - what are you actually training for..? Also - what's a 'speed bike'..? Also - why is the thread titled 'tossing'....?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I just sacrifice some family time, not easy I will admit but depends why you train. I probably only spend a couple of hours a day seeing my wife and little lad most week days, but I do try and make sure I see them properly on rest days, or at least one full weekend day.

I would say get up even earlier, but that one is not ideal for you given such an early start time, you could always do an extended training loop home afterwork sometimes. If family life is very important then training will have to be done whilst they are asleep maybe, or if it is just a hobby, and you are not competitive, just enjoy life and cycle when you can.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    SBezza wrote:
    I just sacrifice some family time,

I sacrifice some of my work time.

Monday. Rest day. Full day child care.
    Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings - ride 3 - 4 hours on the road or if it's icy, 2 hours on rollers then work 11.30 - 5.30.
    Saturday morning - child care
    Saturday afternoon - longer road ride, 4 - 6 hours.
    Sunday - Family day - maybe do 1 hour very easy recovery ride on rollers

Every 4th week is lighter than this.
  • Kamzter
    Pseudonym wrote:
    when you say 'training' - what are you actually training for..? Also - what's a 'speed bike'..? Also - why is the thread titled 'tossing'....?

I am training for 3 sportives in 2012, A speed bike is a cheaper version of a gym bike of which is actually called speed bike on the side.
    The threads called tossing as its about tossing work life, family life and training around each other. :|
  • just get divorced
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Isn't the phrase - Juggling life ?

If you're just doing 30 to 40 leisurely miles at the weekend I don't really see why you need to train for that ?

Enjoy the family time in the week and make sure you get the weekend ride in ? A lot of people do nothing else but the Sunday run.

Seeing as you ride to and from work = you could extend the route a bit on the way back or to work - you'd need to get up a bit earlier - but plenty of people have ridiculously busy lifestyles and still manage a wodge of training for their events. If you're not racing - then chill out ?
  • Kamzter
    cougie wrote:
    Isn't the phrase - Juggling life ? ?

You don't know me mate, I like to be different and do not look at things seriously. lol
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Kamzter wrote:
    I am training for 3 sportives in 2012,

like Cougie says - sportives are basically fun rides and don't really require any 'training' as such - just ride them with whatever fitness you have..
  • In your case I recommend riding 10 miles in the wrong direction on the way to work.

I ride 7 miles to/from work if I do it the short route but try to make sure I take the long route home at least a couple of times a week (25 miles instead).
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Here's my 2p worth,
    I now work nights and tried so hard to get a training schedule going-I have an 18 month old daughter. It got to the point of being an obsession to train, it was -quick get my daughter to babysitter get out for 2 hours,home,dinner,work. Same everyday...made me bad tempered and quality time with the family was gone.
    I decided to take some time out,I now ride on a Monday,Friday and Sunday and feel much better for it.
    Enjoy the time with your baby and maybe commute to work and back,make one a longer ride home and then a long ride at the weekend.
  • Lots of options

Longer commute - dont go direct
    once baby/child is in bed get out in dark, turbo etc - 1hr maybe. Delay evening meal. Eat something before you leave work so you can hold off till post training.
    Early mornings on weekends - out at 8 - back 10 look after kids rest of day.

Train at work - get a turbo leave bike at work 40 mins at lunch? There was an article in CW this week about the guy who won the British Cycling series and he never road rides. Just Watt bike trains at work.
  • Lots of ways to work round stuff but including nipper & wifie in outdoor sessions with kiddie in a bike seat is a great way to go - as long as its not too long/cold of course. Hubby & I did loads of cycling with our small twins - cycle somewhere nice - picnic/play - cycle home. If wifie isn't as fit as you - you do a loop , come back & fetch her and all go on another slower loop! Etc Etc. (and tossing when I went to school did not mean juggling! )
  • Kamzter
    Cheers guys, its all helped me a lot, I appreciate all your advice. Its one of those that when you have a hectic life, sometimes you have to step back a little and think about other ideas. :lol: