BC Provisional Licence

CakeLovinBeast
CakeLovinBeast Posts: 312
edited December 2011 in Amateur race
Hi,

After riding a couple of sportives and joining my local club this year, I've gotten the urge to attempt some competitive racing next year... From what I've read, if I race on a provisional licence then I can't obtain any points (assuming I place highly enough) towards progression. What I can't find is if I only have a provisional, does that mean that I can only enter the "Go Ride" events, or can I open anything open to Cat 4's?

Cheers in advance
Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic

Comments

• Oops.

Finally found the .pdf with the eligability list... Does "Discounted Day Licence available to Provisional Licence holders" mean that I'd have to purchase a day licence in addition to my provisional then?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    From what I understand, you are correct. For those events that require a full licence you will have to purchase a day licence. Any points on a day licence aren't added to your licence and therefore don't count towards getting out of Cat 4.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    A day licence is free for any closed circuit event open to you with a silver membership though. so you could just get silver membership rather than bronze.

Remember BC will give you free bronze membership if you've not been a member and are a member of a club.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Thanks Jim.

I've gone for silver membership in any case - it's my first time I've joined BC, so I thought I'd take advantage of the extra money off for being a first-timer. For the day licences - is that something I still need to get from BC, or is it something that the organiser of the event provides on the day?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If only riding Go Races, Cat 4 road events on closed circuits or local league CX races you don't need the extra day license - your Silver Membership is enough. I would ride a few events on that basis and see how you get on before considering the need for a full license. It is pretty rare for people new to racing to pick up points from the off - if your only cycling experience is sportives, you will likely to be surprised by the difference in intensity, speed and acceleration in the bunch.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Monty Dog wrote:
    if your only cycling experience is sportives, you will likely to be surprised by the difference in intensity, speed and acceleration in the bunch.
    I have never heard such truth
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Thanks for the replies.

I'm under no illusions that no matter what training I do between now and next spring, I still expect that I'm going to be spat out of the back when I race. I just don't think that there's any way to simulate racing, other than to actually race and because of that I'd be far better off turning up and seeing how bad I am! That should at least provide the knowledge of knowing where I am weakest and where I need to focus my training efforts. "That which does not kill me" and all that...

The only disappointment is that all of the spring series around here seem to be open road events - the closed circuit stuff doesn't seem to start until later in the year. I'm probably going to just have to be patient to begin with.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    So have a go at the open road stuff then. Circuit racing is HARDER than open road - bigger bunches spread wider across the circuit than on an open road, more technical corners and constant sprinting out of them. The fitness to race 3/4 races isn't beyond most people to get over a winters training - it's the racecraft, bunch skills and what have you that take time and I think that's often why people take a season learning the ropes before they start scoring points.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jibberjim
    So have a go at the open road stuff then. Circuit racing is HARDER than open road - bigger bunches spread wider across the circuit than on an open road, more technical corners and constant sprinting out of them.

This isn't really true - well it could be, but it depends massively on the circuits and the competition, Devon's early season races are things like the Tom Simpson Memorial a 2/3/4 race where in 2009 I was having to make a serious effort to get on the back into the (heavily reduced) bunch after the main hill, it was harder than any other race I did that year including all the Ras De Cymru 5 day, and certainly way harder than any circuit race where I was always completely comfortable unless off the front.

4th cat only circuit races can be extremely easy affairs until the last lap, bigger bunches make it easier too of course, not harder as the draft is better. If it's an extremely technical circuit then you get the sprinting point, but most of the circuits in use around here are not technical at all (Hillingdon, Hog Hill, dunsfold, goodwood, ludgershall, ilton etc. etc.)
  • Tom Butcher
    We don't have 4ths only races round here so I'm comparing like for like - Devon may be different. I still wouldn't avoid road races - maybe try and find some 3/4s - I agree when you start riding with 2nd cats or above you notice a step up in difficulty.

• I was going based on previous comments, noteably Monty's:
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If only riding Go Races, Cat 4 road events on closed circuits or local league CX races you don't need the extra day license - your Silver Membership is enough. I would ride a few events on that basis and see how you get on before considering the need for a full license...

My emphasis added. Does this mean that I can race open road races on a day licence, or do you mean that I need a full licence to race? I think I'm probably over-confusing matters here, but I'm just trying to get it clear in my head. Looking on the calendar, the (local) closed circuit crits don't start until May, and the Go Race/4th only stuff not until June/July time. On the other hand, the spring pursuit road series starts in Feb, but is E/1/2/3/4. Whilst I'm not expecting to go in and even do well, am I just going to be violated for even trying to compete?
  • jibberjim
    You can't get a day licence for any national event. I'm sre the springtime pursuit is a regional event and you can probably get a day licence for it, it'll just cost at least 5 pounds depending on your licence and 10 pounds if you're bronze. So a race licence is quickly worth it simply on cost grounds.
  • Thanks Jim, that makes sense, cheers for the swift reply.

(it's a regional C+, by the way)
  • jibberjim
    by the way - they're a handicap race, so whilst technically you're racing E's and 1's (if they turn up) in reality there's a chance you'll just be racing with other 4th's for the win if you can get organised enough and stay away.
  • Tom Butcher
    Yes what Jim says - it'll be a handicap meant to give everyone a chance of being involved in the race.

Best thing is get involved in some club or chaingang riding now if you aren't already. The people doing those rides will be the same guys you will be racing against - it'll give you a feel for the standard and if you see a few faces you know in a race it makes it slightly less intimidating.

• Cheers again guys.
    ...Best thing is get involved in some club or chaingang riding now if you aren't already. The people doing those rides will be the same guys you will be racing against - it'll give you a feel for the standard and if you see a few faces you know in a race it makes it slightly less intimidating.

I am already, though only recently, so I've not been out too many times with them. My club is actually the club organising the races! I think I need to get my head down now and pay some serious attention to my training over the winter. All of this talking about it isn't going to make much of a difference to me if I've not put the work in!