First ride today.

gazman1
gazman1 Posts: 77
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all, i`ve just been out on my first road ride, i chose a route which i thought i would be ok with, a couple of climbs which i struggled with (had to stop and get my breath back) I covered just under 7 miles and averaged 11.2 MPH which i thought was ok considering the hills, I will look to do the same route on friday to see if I improve my time/average speed, or would I be better to pick a flatter route until I get some miles in? Also i felt as if i was being pushed forward on the bike a little bit any ideas what that might be? thanks in advance.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,980
    edited November 2011
    To answer your last question first, it may be that your saddle is sloping gently fowards.

Underneath there should be a little allen-key screw that you can unlock to change the slant.

Take it easy on the hills - use the gears like you would car gears - keep the same effort and same revs - let the gears go down.

Changing the route is always nice, just because it spices it up - but if you enjoyed the route, why not give it another go?

Best way to get fitter and start really enjoying the rides and distance is just to ride.

The more you enjoy it, the more you'll cycle - and ultimately, that's what'll make you fit > at which point it becomes a virtuous circle.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Great work on getting out there on your first ride at this time of the year! I'd say that any miles are good miles right now. Don't worry about the route too much, just get out there and ride. Also, don't get hung up on average speed until you're comfortable that you're doing your target distance. Then you can start looking at improving your fitness by riding a little harder.

If you feel like you're being pushed forwards, its likely that your saddle is angled slightly downwards at the front. Try adjusting it to tilt the nose upwards a little. If this feels better, you can experiment a little more.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Just go out and enjoy riding the bike and dont get caught up with the whole average speed thing. Its a bit daft.
  • Thanks for the answers guys i have turned my stem over which may help a little and also lifted the tilt on my saddle sligtly i know you`re only supposed to make one adjustment at a time but i think these will probably work but will keep you posted.
  • As someone who started about a month ago...
    - I've tracked all my rides from day 1 so far on either bike tracks and/or strava on my iphone
    - First ride was a 7 miler @ 13mph, which I can now do at 17mph
    - Strava is great for testing yourself against others. On one segment I was 228th out of 234 people, I am now up to 197th a month later which is a great feeling, as unimpressive as it might sound.

So I'd say that its def not essential to worry about any av speed or times at this stage, it is a fun way of seeing how you progress, especially Strava which is a brilliant app & concept.

Just enjoy it though.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    How old are you Gazman?
  • Teece, i`m 45 mate been mountain biking a few years but found road biking to be a lot different, why do you ask my age?
  • Gazman,

Great news that you have managed to get out, dont worry about average speed or anyting else at this point just enjoy the ride & set yourself samll & realistic targets.

I only got road bike a few weeks ago, but am already seeing massive differences with my speed & the miles I can achieve comfortably, but by being sensible & not getting hung up on what others are achieving which can dishearten you.

Best thing I did was get a cycle computer & record my weekly results, but don't even look at weekly meaqsuure monthly!

Routes that I previously struggeld with I now do with relative ease & faster (weather & wind dependent)

Last Saturday I did 26 miles & could have done more if I'd had more spare time, this was followed by 14 on Sunday again limited by time, average speed of 14.2, which is well up on the 11.5 I was averaging when I started.

As someone has said most important thing is you just get some miles in & enjoy it in this weather, its all slowly building your fitness which will pay huge dividens when the weather improves come spring.

Enjoy it from one "newbie" to another & be warned it gets addictive :)
  • Teece
    gazman1 wrote:
    Teece, i`m 45 mate been mountain biking a few years but found road biking to be a lot different, why do you ask my age?

Just being nosey, I guess! Maybe seeing if there's a link betweeen a newbie's average speed and his/her age. As a 37 year old newbie, my average speed on my commute is 12.5mph and I'm finding it difficult to improve on that.

It gets tougher to train as we get on a bit as I'm finding out with my martial arts! Over the last 10 years I've noticed my strengths have changed from speed and flexibility to power and technique. Maybe the same sort of thing is true for cycling?
  • On my first group ride a couple of months ago we averaged 20 mph over 55 miles.........but to me it was no harder than riding with the wife when I was doing all the pulling......
  • teece, i find it similar with work i`m in construction and find i cant do the same things as easy as i could when i was my 20`s or 30`s lol.
    Puppys dangly bits, thanks for the tips re doing it in slow stages its difficult cos you just want to do it the same as you would on mtb, problem is with seating position its hard on parts that mtb doesn`t reach lol,

Tool thanks also i am looking to join a beginners group with the hope that it will be encouraging which i hope will increase fitness and motivation,
    Thanks for all the answers guys keep the tips coming
    Teece Where are you from? (also just being nosey haha)
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Build up your mileage, mix up your routes, keep some variety and don't be too hung up on timing yourself every time. I did the same ride flat out no more than once a month. Above all just enjoy it.

I'm a bit older than you, 50 next year, started over a year ago and have a bit of a speed obsession. I have made a lot of progress, but I've put in a huge amount of work.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    It takes about 6 weeks to start to acheive decent cardiovascular fitness, assuming regular hard areobic exercise.

By 6 weeks, you will notice huge gains in your performance.

After that, progress is slower and may well plateau.

Keep at it - the most gains to be made are right now, in the early days.

Remember, as the great Greg LeMond once said "it doesnt get easier, you just get faster"
  • Teece
    gazman1 wrote:
    Teece Where are you from? (also just being nosey haha)

I'm a Brummie bloke.