The Race Reports Thread 2011

1234568»

Comments

• DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Cornish Series 3/4s

After last weeks double punctures, I hoped for a better result this week. My warm up consisted of 3 laps round a runway, warmish in the tailwind cold in the headwind. I applied deep heat to the legs to warm them up anyway. On the first lap we rolled of quite slowly at least compared to Youth racing, as we came round for the next lap, we'd established a breakaway group of 4. What am I doing? This is to early, I was thinking. However we ploughed on. About 4 laps later we were brought back, a slow lap followed, then once again an attack went, once again I responded, someone in the bunch shouted 'They won't stay away' once again 4 of us. This time I using Jens Voights logic from chasing legends, 'If I stay in the bunch I have 0% of winning if I go on the attack I have 10% of winning, its logic isn't it' We had an advantage but once again were pulled back into the fold with about 5 laps to go. Knowing the race was nearing completion I decided to sit in and save myself, I found myself hanging on up the hill for 2 laps before rediscovering my legs with 3 laps to go. Being careful to stay in the top 5-6 riders I was preparing myself for a bunch kick, with no chance of winning (Youth Restrictions) however it was worth a punt. As we came into the bell lap, the pace hotted up past the start/finish only to back off along the runway which was lucky for me as I managed to slot back into position in around 5th. As we made the final bend I was still fifth, however it was downhill, I was in my biggest gear spinning madly while other riders were still halfway down their block. We came to the bottom of the hill and the sprint opened up. I kept the same cadence on the way down up, only losing 2 positions to other riders. I finished 7th. The sprint was very close with 2 riders contesting the win, followed by 3 and then followed by a 3rd row of me and another rider who edged me on the line. Overall I was happy with my result being in the points, and having the equivalent amount as a youth race win.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Re-live my 'triumph' at Dunsfold last Friday...

http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/ ... -all-this/
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Well done Greeny! :)
    Great pic too.

Good luck with grabbing a few more before the winter......
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    greeny12 wrote:
    Re-live my 'triumph' at Dunsfold last Friday...

http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/ ... -all-this/
    Yes! Go Greeny :twisted: :D:D:D
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    York City Crit 3/4 race 21/8/11

In which Zachariah achieves his aim; also: Fails.

York! Historic university city, home of the Minster, ancient Viking battlements, a flood-prone river and extremely narrow streets with hairpin turns.

Firstly, a big shout to Clifton CC who were behind tonight's several events - there was a Brompton race, a junior one, the 3/4 support race and the main event, an E/1/2 race attracting national competitors. The day was run brilliantly, it was almost like a pro event: Proper start/finish arch with camera, barriers all over the course with strict marshalling for pedestrians, a commentator with a good-sized PA system - the works.

I arrived by train in good time and signed on. Bit of a miscommunication in finding out where the toilets were sent me on a wild goose chase, the portaloos were right next to the admin caravan and I went straight past them (as did several others, one of whom told me he'd ridden five miles out to go to the toilet!). Although I dearly coveted that last, elusive point, I knew there'd be small chance of getting it with a full field of excellent riders. I set myself the laudable goal of cycling impeccably and not doing anything to warrant an unkind word in my direction.

After the junior race, we got a chance to do a couple of practice laps at our own pace. Barring the trip to and from the station, this was my first time on the bike today. Several riders had been spending their time on turbos and rollers warming up; my usual forty-minute ride to the track had done that for me in the past. Tonight I was going in cold. How different could it be?

Turns out that was possibly a big mistake, but not as big as starting a crit from the back of the queue. I idled up to the start in almost last place, and the guys at the front were round the first bend before I'd got rolling. With most of the eighty-strong field in front of me and the course offering few places to overtake, I'd effectivly missed any chance of scoring already.

But never mind! It was the experience I was after, the points will come another day. I settled in with what looked like a solid bunch and we trundled round at a decent pace. The course went over cobbled sections, pinch-points and several large sleeping policemen, but I kept true to my aim and rode super-safe.

Unfortunately, I erred on the side of caution a little too far. My group was the first to be pulled off the course for being lapped by the leaders; an indignity I wasn't prepared for and it stung me. With half the race still to go, we were out. My only consolation was safety in numbers, it looked like at least twenty riders were retired and another group were sent off with about ten laps to go - it looked like as much as half the race did not go the distance, more came away with punctures or mechanicals and there was a crash of some kind in the third or fourth-last lap, but as far as I could tell it didn't affect the leaders.

A group of three broke away early on and made it all the way to the end, including one junior boy. The peloton ended up 35-40 secs behind and scrapped it out for the remaining positions. I had raced just under twenty minutes, the whole thing was finished in barely forty.

So I kind of feel like a miserable failure. That's the end of my season, no more races in reach this year for me. My dream of getting to Cat 3 in my first year is over; though I suppose I have cause to be optimistic for next year (I'm still not sure if I have to get ten points all over again or if I just have to get that one more any time, the BC site is vague), but it's a long time until the next race and so much more to do. I let my form slip in the past few weeks - I haven't done any serious training since the last race in July, and I've paid the price. Though of course, nobody shouted at me - that's a win in my book.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Zachariah wrote:
    So I kind of feel like a miserable failure. That's the end of my season, no more races in reach this year for me. My dream of getting to Cat 3 in my first year is over; though I suppose I have cause to be optimistic for next year (I'm still not sure if I have to get ten points all over again or if I just have to get that one more any time, the BC site is vague), but it's a long time until the next race and so much more to do. I let my form slip in the past few weeks - I haven't done any serious training since the last race in July, and I've paid the price. Though of course, nobody shouted at me - that's a win in my book.
    You'll have to get all 10 again next year :( But is there no way you can find another race to do? It's only mid-August, there's another 6 weeks of racing down here around London anyway.
  • Zachariah
    Not within riding/train distance, sadly. Anywhere more than fifteen or so miles from Harrogate is practically a day out for me, which needs long notice periods to get away from wife & kids.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Zachariah wrote:
    York City Crit 3/4 race 21/8/11

In which Zachariah achieves his aim; also: Fails.

York! Historic university city, home of the Minster, ancient Viking battlements, a flood-prone river and extremely narrow streets with hairpin turns.

Firstly, a big shout to Clifton CC who were behind tonight's several events - there was a Brompton race, a junior one, the 3/4 support race and the main event, an E/1/2 race attracting national competitors. The day was run brilliantly, it was almost like a pro event: Proper start/finish arch with camera, barriers all over the course with strict marshalling for pedestrians, a commentator with a good-sized PA system - the works.

I arrived by train in good time and signed on. Bit of a miscommunication in finding out where the toilets were sent me on a wild goose chase, the portaloos were right next to the admin caravan and I went straight past them (as did several others, one of whom told me he'd ridden five miles out to go to the toilet!). Although I dearly coveted that last, elusive point, I knew there'd be small chance of getting it with a full field of excellent riders. I set myself the laudable goal of cycling impeccably and not doing anything to warrant an unkind word in my direction.

After the junior race, we got a chance to do a couple of practice laps at our own pace. Barring the trip to and from the station, this was my first time on the bike today. Several riders had been spending their time on turbos and rollers warming up; my usual forty-minute ride to the track had done that for me in the past. Tonight I was going in cold. How different could it be?

Turns out that was possibly a big mistake, but not as big as starting a crit from the back of the queue. I idled up to the start in almost last place, and the guys at the front were round the first bend before I'd got rolling. With most of the eighty-strong field in front of me and the course offering few places to overtake, I'd effectivly missed any chance of scoring already.

But never mind! It was the experience I was after, the points will come another day. I settled in with what looked like a solid bunch and we trundled round at a decent pace. The course went over cobbled sections, pinch-points and several large sleeping policemen, but I kept true to my aim and rode super-safe.

Unfortunately, I erred on the side of caution a little too far. My group was the first to be pulled off the course for being lapped by the leaders; an indignity I wasn't prepared for and it stung me. With half the race still to go, we were out. My only consolation was safety in numbers, it looked like at least twenty riders were retired and another group were sent off with about ten laps to go - it looked like as much as half the race did not go the distance, more came away with punctures or mechanicals and there was a crash of some kind in the third or fourth-last lap, but as far as I could tell it didn't affect the leaders.

A group of three broke away early on and made it all the way to the end, including one junior boy. The peloton ended up 35-40 secs behind and scrapped it out for the remaining positions. I had raced just under twenty minutes, the whole thing was finished in barely forty.

You should have said Hello to Freehub behind the Youth A/B sign on table.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    All the training in the world would have made little difference given you started right at the back. Since you knew that was the wrong place to be then why did you start there? Its almost as if you didn't have the belief in yourself to mix it up near the front - without that belief you'll never get anywhere in your racing and you'll be forever a 4th Cat.
    More problems but still living....
  • Zachariah
    Ah, hi Freehub! That was you? I think you might have kindly removed my number tags when I went back in - I was 57, with the blue top. Well done for being part of the admin there, it was spot on.

Amerafanga, it's true, I kind of did doubt myself, and also wanted to oppose my normal take on racing, which is perhaps too much on the competitive side and has resulted in my many documented mishaps. I wanted to see what it was like just racing for fun. Turns out, not so much fun. Also, I didn't realise it would be so much a disadvantage from the back. My previous crits on the closed circuit had seen everyone in a big bunch and ample opportunity to get to the front if you wanted to push a bit. I had no idea the race would be split right from the start, but that's part of the experience. All knowledge in the bank for next year!
  • robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    Well, I have my first ever race to report on.

Having attended a BC course earlier on in the summer on racing the local BC coach arranged an event last night (with two more races tonight) at Dunkeswell Kart Circuit. The BC course was invaluable as this is quite a technical circuit (see here http://www.dunkeswellkartclub.co.uk/circuit.html ) and really taught me to corner as well as riding safe and well in a group.

So last night was a cat 4 race with about 13 or 14 entries but being my first I was hellishly nervous as I had no idea what to expect. Would I be able to hang on ? Would I get shelled straight away ? Heck, some guys even had shaved legs :shock: As we started one guy shot off the front but going at what I thought was a comfortable pace I was stuck in no mans land between him and the next group. I put in a bit of effort to catch him and by the time we were coming into the back straight I had caught him and, having a quick chat, decided to work together (well, more like 'you up for two-up', 'yes'). For the next 3 laps or so (about 1km per lap) we worked well and maintained the gap to the next two who had split from the rest. This means that, at several points in my first race, I was LEADING !

After about 5 laps the next two had gradually caught us. It was at this point that I realised that doing a hilly 75km on Sunday wasn't the best preparation as my quads were starting to feel it. For the next couple of laps 3 of the 4 of us shared the work but one of the guys moaned about no. 4 not doing any work ! By this time my legs had given up and I was hanging on to the group. As I was drifting off the back no. 4 was still just hanging on to me but when the gap got too big he jumped across which left me with too much of a gap.

Looking at my garmin download I held on to the group until the lap 9 of 15 but the last 6 were stuck in no mans land. Every now and then I would catch and pass a back marker or two but there was no real shelter on offer. At a couple of points on the circuit I could see the group of 3 chasing me. My main aim was now to keep that gap and not give up fourth place. Each time round I could see that I was at least maintaining it if not opening slightly.

I was relieved to see the 3 laps to go board come out. By this time my gap to 5th was definitely getting slightly bigger so it was just a case of 'head down and keep going'. Finally the last lap and I managed to roll in a comfortable 4th about 45 seconds ahead of the sprint for 5th. (No. 4 apparently beat the guy who moaned about him not working for second place - bet he was pleased !)

Feelings afterwards : thrilled to finish my first race, pleased with 4th but thinking maybe I shouldn't have been on the long ride on Sunday (but, having said that, I enjoyed the ride and what's the point having a bike if you don't enjoy riding it ?), annoyed I forgot to put my heart rate monitor on (but it would probably have blown up), pleased my youngest son was watching (he had his first race earlier in the evening and got 5th).

Chatting afterwards two points were pleasing; first, the group of 3 behind were apparently working together to try and catch me but even on my own I was able to open the gap a bit. Second, the guy who won was the chap I was working with initially and he complimented my cornering saying he kept losing touch with me out of the corners - there it is, proof that BC courses DO work.

So a good experience from my first race and looking forward to my next. The track is absolutely fantastic - lovely smooth tarmac. Next year I will look to do a road race or two as, being quite slight and small and also training around East Devon's hills, a hilly circuit might suit me better than an out and out crit. Having said that, it's great fun seeing where everyone else is and I will definitely be doing more races like this.

Finally, a big thank you to Andy Parker of BC and Jake Durrant of Mid Devon CC for putting on the 5 week course and also arranging last night's race.
  • Yesterday was my first race in over two months. I hadn't intended to have such a long mid-season break, but a series of work-related / family-related things got in the way. Anyway I drove over to Hillingdon to do the 4th cat race there. I'd ridden there once before (in April) and finished comfortably mid-bunch. This time I was determined to make more of an effort to position myself near the front towards the end, so that I would have some chance of actually contesting the sprint (instead of rolling in in 20th place or thereabouts).

It started off dry, then rained for about ten minutes, then got sunny again. We were averaging 25 miles an hour. I was feeling reasonably comfortable, but tending to sit in about two-thirds of the way back. I wasn't worried about missing a move as nothing ever seems to stay away - there was a break of four or five riders for a bit, but they never got more than about ten seconds lead before coming back. The race was an hour plus five laps and my intention was to shelter in the pack until five to go and then do everything I could to stay at the front end.

We'd been going for about 45 minutes and had just come out of the three bends onto the relatively straight and slightly downhill section when suddenly someone to the front and left of me swerved. The next thing I knew the guy in front of me was going down and taking the guy to his right down with him. There was a sickening split second where I knew I was going to crash into them and then I was tumbling and landing on my face and I don’t quite remember what happened.

The next thing I recall, the three of us were lying on the grass at the side of the road nursing various wounds. The other two both had nasty road rash and I had several deep oily cuts in my legs from somebody’s chain rings (maybe mine? who knows?). Eventually a first aider turned up and wiped away a lot of the blood, then back at the HQ I got bandaged up.

I feel very sore and stiff today, but nothing’s broken and fortunately I was able to drive myself home. Amazingly my bike seems to be OK apart from this scratching on the rim of the front wheel:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299 ... 06/rim.jpg

Does that look like something I can ride with, or do I need to get a new wheel?
  • Assuming I need a new rim (I'll find out this afternoon), I don't suppose I can claim this on insurance? I've got Silver BC membership, but I think the insurance that comes with that just covers you if somebody makes a claim against you.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Assuming I need a new rim (I'll find out this afternoon), I don't suppose I can claim this on insurance? I've got Silver BC membership, but I think the insurance that comes with that just covers you if somebody makes a claim against you.

That's right. It's not kit insurance.

from the photo, it looks okay to me. just file off any sharp bits. but that's just from photo.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Rim looks ok to me, though whether it's hopelessly out of true can't be seen from the pic of course.

I crashed a Mavic Open Pro laced to PT hub in the first week I owned it :cry: and the rim was a bit wonky, but I took it to a good wheelbuilder who managed to true it enough to ride on it. It's mostly a training wheel but I'd still race on it too. Hopefully same for yours!
  • Here's my last race report of the season:

http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/ ... -to-go-on/

A thousand thanks to all of you who've followed me this season - Bikeradar is the source of more hits to my blog than any other site...

Roll on 2012!!!

• greeny12
    I lied a couple of messages ago. This is, in fact, my last race report for 2011:

http://cyclingapprentice.com/2011/10/24 ... y-pasting/

Cycle racing sucks.

• Sorry you didn't get your points Greeny; one of the guys in our club was trying to get a couple of points to go up to 3rd Cat and ended up disappointed too, but I doubt that's any consolation to you. :cry:

Best of luck for next season and I'm sure I am not the only one looking forward to more of your excellent blogs.
  • greeny12
    Honestly folks, this is the last, the very last, race report for this season. I promise I won't go out again...

http://cyclingapprentice.com/2011/11/07 ... s-basterd/

• I started road racing last year. I managed to get onto a team this year taking part in Womens National Series events!! However still wanting to climb the points/cat ladder like many of you. It is quite difficult being competitive in the mens races and the womens are all E/1/2/3/4! Still its been a fun year. I post my final race blog of the year below in which i broke my collarbone! If you like it, others are available at http://nicolasoden.blogspot.com/ and our team blog at http://maxgearettes.blogspot.com/

ABERGAVENNY WOMENS NATIONAL TEAM SERIES ROAD RACE

With Abergavenny coming up and yet another uphill finish, my aim was to race a more active race. I knew that my chances were good as long as I could keep in contact with the front. There were several lone attacks early on, including Eve who got away in the first lap, but all attacks were brought back by the bunch. A few laps later there was a big attack, I tried to go with it and in doing so almost dropped off the back of the back of the bunch! The break did not get away, although Sarah Byrne did, gaining over 2 minutes on the bunch at one point. It all came back together again and on the final lap I could sit on the front no problem and I was feeling really good. By the time we got near the bottom of the finishing climb, I had managed to end up at the back again. I spotted one of the other girls riding up the bunch to the front and followed. With 1km to go I was on the front, this was my chance....
    All too soon reality struck. I was lying in the middle of the road on my back holding my shoulder. There had been a crash and I had broken my collarbone. Gutted.
    I had looked round (as much as my injured body would allow) to see what had happened. Most of the bunch were also on the floor. I could see my bike in the verge in the distance with the front wheel bent in two.
    The couch potato did a really good job organising everything including getting my parents to travel down from Manchester to come and pick my car up from South Wales. I think he was a little gutted that he didn’t get to go in the helicopter, but relived I wasn’t badly injured.
    After speaking to other riders at the Preston National Crit Championships the following week (in which Eve got 10th!!!!) we learned a rider on the left of the road hooked handle bars with another rider which sent them crashing across the road flinging me over the handlebars. The rest of the girls had nowhere to go and had run into the back of us.

I’m really grateful to all the help from everyone at the race who helped from the NEG riders, commissares, the Dixon’s, The Weaver’s, The Shenton’s along with the paramedics and medical staff at the Hospital in Abergavenny. Sorry if I’ve forgotten you but I am thankful for your help.

Total races for the year: 11
    Races completed in top 20: 2
    Total races completed in the bunch: 5
    DNFs: 1
    Broken bones: 1
    Frames written off: 1
    Total races completed by the couch potato: 2 (he’s happy)
  • Total races completed by the Couch Potato AKA Buxton Butterfly ' Talks like a bee - stings like a butterfly': 2 (he’s happy)

I would not be happy if the only race i'd completed were a 35mile bunch engine fest, followed a week later by getting dropped in the 2nd lap of an 85k 3/4 because i could not handle the wind. He needs to WTFD if he thinks that thats adequate for a season.