New turbo - 1 hour to spare!

San Marzano
San Marzano Posts: 132
Just picked up a turbo and would like to give it go tomorrow.

Unfortunately, i dont have a speedo or cadence meter so need to keep it simple. My HRM is acting up as well!

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Perceived effort x Time
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Just go hard, if your vision starts blurring or your get chest pains maybe back off a bit :p
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    1 hour inc say 5 mins either side warm up/down ?
    something like 20 mins effort / 5 mins easier / 20 mins effort (ok that totals just under the hour but near enough and allows a little tweeking of the turbo before you start for real.
    For each 20 min you could give do a steady effort right through or change up / down the block, keeping effort steady but revs changing.
  • Cheers Andy - Just got your post. I tried a 10 minute warm up with one minute flat out (in big gear) every 5 minutes up to one hour.

Nearly flooded the garage and now sat here with a banging head!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a bit too much, too soon.

Thanks for your advice though.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Just picked up a turbo and would like to give it go tomorrow.

Unfortunately, i dont have a speedo or cadence meter so need to keep it simple. My HRM is acting up as well!

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation
    Depends on your boredom threshold. This time of year my turbo training is simplicity itself - 5 mins warm up, 50 mins continuous quite hard effort ("sweet spot" in the jargon), 5 mins cool down. It's dull, but effective.

It gets more interesting/painful after xmas... :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    The post below lists the 5 turbo drills I do. All take less than an hour and only require a way to measure distance travelled.

http://mr-miff-on-tour.blogspot.com/2011/09/5-key-training-drills-for-endurance.html
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Cheers Bahzob - nothing too technical, i like it!
  • Going to have to be RPE. Just remember, dont go off too hard!

I have used www.turbotraining.co.uk before. lots of different plans which are very easy to follow. Just be prepared for the world war II siren!!