6 Week old bent/faulty Cube frame... Advice needed

13»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Firstly, dealers don't just hold stocks of frames in case one breaks.
    Secondly, MTBs get hammered over rough stuff and break.
    Thirdly, if it had just arrived broken I would agree with you.
    Fourthly, Apple are ORSUM. Or so I've been told.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • HAHA Do you work for Apple? But yeah, they are.

I was comparing them directly, and I do see the point about holding spares. But the way the whole thing has been dealt with is making the OP unsure about the bike and about JE James, whereas if it had been handled different, he would be more likely to use them again.
  • cooldad
    To summarise 4 pages:

OP has problem, speaks to dealer.

Much BR rambling on and whiny type stuff goes on

Dealer sorts it out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The exam question ladies and gents was this:
    Where do I stand with this, what are my rights with it being a 6 week old bike and what sort of solution response should I expect?

1. Where do I stand : you have a broken bike, don't ride it.
    2. what are my rights : correct answers given, many incorrect answers and opinions also given. hey this is bikeradar after all.
    3. what solution to expect : refund, repair or replacement with minimum inconvenience and not disproportionately costly to the retailer.

Conversations about logistical challenges for retailers and the nature of mtbs are interesting but not really relevant to the exam question. If the retailer doesn't like it I suggest he sells some other product to make a living.
    welshkev wrote:
    accept the frame! you get a brand new frame and when/if you come to sell it you just state it was a replacement after a faulty 2011 frame!!

Yeah I think I would too, but if I were the OP I would ask for a refund and buy another bike. Always good to start everything from scratch, particularly if there is a better deal to be had.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Firstly, dealers don't just hold stocks of frames in case one breaks.
    Secondly, MTBs get hammered over rough stuff and break.
    Thirdly, if it had just arrived broken I would agree with you.
    Fourthly, Apple are ORSUM. Or so I've been told.

But thats why you buy a MTB surely its got to be fit for its purpose. I know I'm being a little pedantic. But If you did that to a road bike the shop would say of course its broke you rode it on a black run.

But a MTB should be built for it. So unless there is signs on crash damage IE: Impact marks then it should have been sorted straight away
  • cooldad
    Except you get bikes ranging from XC to Downhill.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • What if you went XC downhill but it broke before you got to a road :lol:

You know what I mean though. These things shouldn't break if used as intended

"Intended" by us or the manufacturer thats the $64k question.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    What if you went XC downhill but it broke before you got to a road :lol:

You know what I mean though. These things shouldn't break if used as intended

Intended by the manufacturer.

If I buy a Faberge egg intending to use it as a hammer, and then it breaks, I doubt I'd have much chance of a refund. If I buy a hammer and it breaks when I hit a nail with it, then I would do.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • GSP1984
    GSP1984 Posts: 79
    I'm running with 2012 frame option, as much as would rather a credit note so I could buy a garmin and go pro HD, I want to keep a hardtail for trail flying and fitness training at stupidly sandy places like sherwood pines.
  • The most important thing though is that YOUR happy with the outcome.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    bails87 wrote:
    Intended by the manufacturer..
    mattyg2004 wrote:

Actually it can be either - if its sold by description then it has to meet the purpose described - its either described by the retailer or the consumer. The description given by either forms the contract.. so the consumer can say "I want a bike for DH racing and I'm a 20 stone lardy" then that is the description it has to be fit for. Or the retailer can say, "good for DH racing" etc. Purchase price is the other factor, stitched together with the reasonable person test.

This stuff is not complex, I'm genuinely surprised people find it hard to grasp or in some way unclear.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This stuff is not complex

You prior paragraph describes some complexities. What surprises me is that people expect recourse because THEY think there is a fault. It can be more complex than that. Many times this is the case: but not always.
  • GSP1984
    It's back in a little over a week...

304079_10150366760484837_502519836_7922770_953078415_n.jpg

Shiny new frame, I have my suspicions about what year it is but it's fixed and riding sweet so I'm not overly bothered.
  • If cube say they sent a 2012, they sent a 2012. I think you are just overly paranoid.
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    Pretty sure if you flip it upside down the year and size is stamped into the frame, bottom of the BB.
  • GSP1984
    If cube say they sent a 2012, they sent a 2012. I think you are just overly paranoid.

Cube didn't say anything other than a new frame would be sent. J E James said it was 2012 presumably because it looks different to the 2011.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All seems to have been done in a reasonable time: enjoy the bike!
  • GSP1984
    Yep, can't fault the customer service of Cube... and for the stick they get J E James have performed really well.
  • cooldad
    True. Problem sorted in less time than the BR whining.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    GSP1984 wrote:
    It's back in a little over a week...

304079_10150366760484837_502519836_7922770_953078415_n.jpg

Shiny new frame, I have my suspicions about what year it is but it's fixed and riding sweet so I'm not overly bothered.

fair play that is a nice looking frame :D
  • I know what the problem is, you still havee the super cheap/shitti flat peedals on. Get yourself a decent set of flats, or some spds, and I guarantee your problems will go away.
  • GSP1984
    In fairness its my spare bike for a bit of fitness and bimbling around derwent and Rutland water with my girlfriend. The pedals do ok for that purpose, I have some DMR V12 shin rippers on my other bike. I have some rubbish wellgo flats that are better than the ones on the cube at the moment, I may stick those on it.