new road bike

alip@35
alip@35 Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
ready to buy my first road bike budget up to 750 please help with ideas as looked at far to many to decide any ideas from you lot cheers

Comments

• Just had same problem myself. A lot of people say to buy second hand. I bought brand new.

I narrowed it down to a Giant Defy 2 and a Trek 1.2

Ended up with a Bianch cos it looked so damn good.

I recommend getting down to a shop or 2 and trying some out. Even looking at them in the flesh is better than just looking online.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Mate,

They're all the same. Don't listen to all the garbage. At the same price point (not withstanding some type of outrageous sale) just pick the one you like the colour of the best.

In a few weeks it will be 'your' bike and you will have forgotten everything about all the others you are agonising over now.

Think of it like this. Whichever bike you choose, even at that price is better than the tour winning bike of not so very many years ago. Merckx would have ridden any bike on your list solo over countless mountains whilst keeping the peloton at bay and winning the yellow jersey.

Just buy one and get on with it.
  • jim453 wrote:
    Mate,

They're all the same. Don't listen to all the garbage. At the same price point (not withstanding some type of outrageous sale) just pick the one you like the colour of the best.

In a few weeks it will be 'your' bike and you will have forgotten everything about all the others you are agonising over now.

Think of it like this. Whichever bike you choose, even at that price is better than the tour winning bike of not so very many years ago. Merckx would have ridden any bike on your list solo over countless mountains whilst keeping the peloton at bay and winning the yellow jersey.

Post of the week! :lol:
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    jim453 wrote:
    Mate,

Post of the week! :lol:

+1 :D
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Try some for size, at this price range that are all going to be good but due to slightly different geometry one might feel more comfortable than others.

I recently got a new bike , adding £50 to your budget would get the same as mine , the thing i like the most is the apex gears that give you a range of gears for fast riding and easy enough ones to get up any hill ;)

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_comp.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Hey Everyone,

I was in the same boat in my choice for a first road bike for 20 years, been a moderate MTB rider in that time, didn't know what to get and ended up plumping for the Specialized Allez Sport for £575. Going to collect it on Friday and ride it back home - 13 miles or so.
    I have another £75 left on my Cycle to work voucher to buy some accessories, might go for clothing or Shoes and SPD but think I might get used to the bike first.

Any ideas or upgrades recommended?
  • Hector10 wrote:

New tyres. Something with puncture resistance
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Shoes & pedals.

That and tyres that can resist punctures, I'd buy on line outside of the voucherand you'll save more that way
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • If you can push your budget a little further - Trition Cycles have a special on the Cannondale Synapse 105 2012 model for £880, which is 20% of rrp, great bike and great price :wink:
    Cube GTC Reaction SL - Green Black 2014
    Cannondale Synapse 105 - 2012
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Hector10 wrote:
    I have another £75 left on my Cycle to work voucher to buy some accessories, might go for clothing or Shoes and SPD but think I might get used to the bike first.

Get shoes and pedals (IMO only go for spd if you commute).
    Rich