Lake District Rental

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited October 2011 in The Crudcatcher
I'm coming out to England in the Spring sometime, probably March, and want to know if anyone knows of any shops that do bike rentals for a day so I can rent a decent MTB and go out and explore for a day. That is unless anyone wants to donate a bike for a day and show me some trails?

Comments

• UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Do you want to rent all of it, or just a specific area?
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Wheelbase in Staveley south lakes rent out demo bikes or did about 18 months ago. They had some pretty tasty kit in the demo fleet. Cost a mate about £60 to rent a AM bike for a weekend when he bust his Santa Cruz.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Keswick Bikes do hire from their shop in the centre of the town:

http://www.keswickbikes.co.uk/acatalog/
  • Keswick Bikes do hire from their shop in the centre of the town:

http://www.keswickbikes.co.uk/acatalog/

That looks like exactly the one for me, thanks.

Are there marked trails around the area there?
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Haven't done any riding up there but plenty of walking, in the trail not much is marked so if you don't know the area you are going to need some maps or a solid GPS.

Lol you could get some wainwright books but ahem they arnt exactly OS standard and can take some getting used too.

Beautiful part of the world but the walkers can be a bit anoraki about footpaths.

Get up too Grasmere and get some fresh gingerbread bloody lovely
  • stubs
    Whinlatter trail centre isnt far from Keswick not too far to ride from the town if you havent got a car but there is a steep pull out of Braithwaite on the road to the trail head.

Keswick cycles sell maps with routes in the area printed on waterproof paper dont limit yourself to marked trails there is some stunning natural stuff to ride that will test you far more than a trail centre. Ask the lads in the shop they can point you to the best stuff plus they do shop rides but cant remember what days.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • How far of a ride is it to Whinlatter centre? I don't mind a decent ride as long as the roads are marked, or directions are easy. Since I will only have one day of riding while I am there, I would rather do it somewhere with waymarked trails, or if I had a guide so I don't have to fuss around with trying to get un-lost should it happen.
  • stubs
    From Keswick centre to the Altura trails at the Whinlatter forest park is approx 4 miles the first 3 miles are flat then there is a grunt up to the trail centre cafe and bike shop. Just right to warm you up for the climbs on the trails :lol:

You could try Cyclewise they are the bike shop at the trail centre but we only saw Cube hardtails for rent.

Not that you need full suss on the Altura trails its all perfectly rideable on a HT. From personal experience I would ride the north trail first then have a cuppa at the caff and do the blue (dont knock it its good fun) then finish off with the south trail. They all add up to 15 miles of good fun.http://www.cyclewise.co.uk/index.php/bike-hire/our-hire-bikes-at-whinlatter-altura-trail
  • stubs
  • I have no problem doing it on a hardtail, may even be more fun that way! Thanks for the tips, I may see if my parents can just drive me to the trail, and then pick me up at the end of the day!
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Just come back from the Lakes, it won't be more fun on a hardtail, trust me. I took my 100mm FS and it was the smallest bike out of 10 of us, was good on the ascents but had to take it slow on the descents due to all the big rocks scattered about. Most guys had a 140-160mm and did well.
  • agg25 wrote:
    Just come back from the Lakes, it won't be more fun on a hardtail, trust me. I took my 100mm FS and it was the smallest bike out of 10 of us, was good on the ascents but had to take it slow on the descents due to all the big rocks scattered about. Most guys had a 140-160mm and did well.

^^^ and this guy rode the World Cup DH course at Fort Bill with us in May on that 100mm XC rig............ :shock:

But he speaks the truth in if you want to enjoy an allday epic in the lakes, get some plushness!

Igg
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Ah Iggy, should've known you'd be called MrFannay, hehe hopefully catch you up in Wales soon ! :-)
  • Does anyone know what the "pro mtb" bikes are that are for hire from Keswicks? Price seems decent, and if it's good i'd probably go there if a fully is advisable.
  • stubs
    agg25 wrote:

Big rocks :? At Whinlatter you must be thinking of somewhere else plenty of big rocks in the Lakes but none there. Whinlatter is perfect for a hardtail its relatively new so no big ruts or braking bumps theres a few roots that can catch you and some spots where the slate is exposed and a bit slippery but nothing that would demand a big bouncer. I rode it in september in the pouring rain and zero visibility and had a ball.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    stubs wrote:
    nothing that would demand a big bouncer.

everythng requires a big bouncer.

I thought hardtails were just old fashioned bikes for the poor?
  • stubs wrote:
    nothing that would demand a big bouncer.

everythng requires a big bouncer.

I thought hardtails were just old fashioned bikes for the poor?

I'll big bounce you in a minute.

Wait, no I won't I havn't got it in me, I promise.

:cry:
  • Whinlatter will be fine on a poor man's bike (aka Hardtail).

In fact even the Borrowdale Bash would be fine on a hardtail- just a bit slower than a FS.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • stubs wrote:
    agg25 wrote:

Big rocks :? At Whinlatter you must be thinking of somewhere else plenty of big rocks in the Lakes but none there. Whinlatter is perfect for a hardtail its relatively new so no big ruts or braking bumps theres a few roots that can catch you and some spots where the slate is exposed and a bit slippery but nothing that would demand a big bouncer. I rode it in september in the pouring rain and zero visibility and had a ball.

It wasn't Whinnlatter, agg25 was at the Nan Bield pass :wink:

And yes, your HT would be fine at Whinlatter
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I would think a decent ht would be perfect for Whinlatter. I've only ridden it on a fs I demo'd (purely because all the hire bikes were rubbish and I refused to 'slum it' on a hardrock.)

Never missed my Bfe as much as I did that day.