Dale Farm Evictions...

2»

Comments

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Shame it's been shut down now, it was my first choice on my Sun £9.50 holiday form. Seemed like it was pay your money and stay as long as you want.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    my mate recons their heading your way Matty, Swavessy. apparently they've bought some land there?

:-(

There's already a permanent gypsy camp just behind my house, don't need another one.... There's enough middle class hippies here in Cambridge to support the little feckers, shame they weren't around to support us when the garage got broke into coincidently at the same time some gypsy's moved onto some development land inside our housing estate!

Time to change the law to allow gypsy's a haven gypsy camp (cough cough Auschwitz).

I used to live in Chesterton, about a 10 minute walk from the Fen Road gypsy site, and they kept stealing my bikes. I brought over about 3 grand worth of hardtails with me from America, and a road bike, and within 6 months every bike had been stolen from our garden, which had a 8 foot high wooden fence and all bikes were d locked to the ground. Would come out in the morning and the bike anchors were literally ripped out of the ground.

So depressing, I hatethe feckers.

Yep, I keep my bikes in the house, my flatmate had a £200 Giant bike, wasn't anything special, but we had it chained up in the shed.... A few weeks later, the garden was littered with shed panels, the bike was gone, but they left the lawnmower and a few garden tools that were more expensive than the bike!

Mind you, in Cambridge you can sell a bike in seconds, there's literally thousands, never seen a place like it!
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    my mate recons their heading your way Matty, Swavessy. apparently they've bought some land there?

:-(

There's already a permanent gypsy camp just behind my house, don't need another one.... There's enough middle class hippies here in Cambridge to support the little feckers, shame they weren't around to support us when the garage got broke into coincidently at the same time some gypsy's moved onto some development land inside our housing estate!

Time to change the law to allow gypsy's a haven gypsy camp (cough cough Auschwitz).

I used to live in Chesterton, about a 10 minute walk from the Fen Road gypsy site, and they kept stealing my bikes. I brought over about 3 grand worth of hardtails with me from America, and a road bike, and within 6 months every bike had been stolen from our garden, which had a 8 foot high wooden fence and all bikes were d locked to the ground. Would come out in the morning and the bike anchors were literally ripped out of the ground.

So depressing, I hatethe feckers.

Yep, I keep my bikes in the house, my flatmate had a £200 Giant bike, wasn't anything special, but we had it chained up in the shed.... A few weeks later, the garden was littered with shed panels, the bike was gone, but they left the lawnmower and a few garden tools that were more expensive than the bike!

Mind you, in Cambridge you can sell a bike in seconds, there's literally thousands, never seen a place like it!

Yeah, it's insane in Cambridge. I remember reading a story in the news sometime that bikes are most stolen in Oxford and Cambridge, then they switch the location and sell them, so in principle it's impossible to get caught unless the frame is coded. Thieving scum.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    the garage got broke into coincidently at the same time some gypsy's moved onto some development land inside our housing estate!

Every time they moved onto our industrial estate crime went through the roof... But loads of the arrests were just using the gypos as cover- lots of insurance jobs, lots of locals on the rob. It's that sort of thinking that makes Britain great :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    the garage got broke into coincidently at the same time some gypsy's moved onto some development land inside our housing estate!

Every time they moved onto our industrial estate crime went through the roof... But loads of the arrests were just using the gypos as cover- lots of insurance jobs, lots of locals on the rob. It's that sort of thinking that makes Britain great :lol:

Indeed... It wasn't the gypsies who broke in as the police caught the guy and he confessed... Either way, they attract crime...
    There wasn't anything in our garage to pinch, just damaged the door!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They'd be the ones on the receiving end of the stolen goods rather than stealing them themselves. And then they'd con the original thief as well.

A bunch used to have a camp set up near where I was working. One time I was in the petrol station nearby and big argument was going on over the classic "but I gave you a £20" trick when buying some cigs. Apparently that happened often. They refused to serve them petrol as they'd never pay.
  • The best pikey scam I ever saw was two vans filled up at the Shell service station on the A34 in Bucks. The pikeys were paying in small change and the the pikey kids were running riot in the shop, distracting the two poor gentlemen of Indian origin behind the tills.
    Every time the kids distracted them by asking how much something was, the pikeys would slide some of the coins back from the counted pile into the uncounted pile. Genius!

When I got there the RedBull fridge was full, by time they'd "paid" for their petrol the pikey kids had emptied that fridge and also lifted all the expensive snacks too, like those Pepperoni sticks...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There are some bits that peeve me a bit... Like, the council bang on about greenbelt. But apparently the illegal part of the site was built on brownfield, it was an abandoned scrapyard. The land's zoned as greenbelt but this part wasn't. This is the sort of thing that gets overruled instantly in most planning apps but for these guys it seems to be "You have built in greenbelt and that is ALWAYS WRONG". Which is cobblers, people built in genuine greenbelt all the time never mind brownfield. (we're in an area which is overall greenbelt, but our part isn't, so when we built the extension there was a formality to overrule about greenbelt which took no time at all)

And then, planning permission... Overall nationally 4/5ths of all planning permission requests are granted, but for travellers 9/10 are denied. So they might have a fair point when they say the system doesn't work for them. And if they can't get planning permission then it's harder to condemn them for not getting planning permission really.

But still I don't really understand how someone can be a traveller yet have a permanent residence... Most of Dale Farm is part-time residences apparently, winter stops etc which is fair enough, travellers don't move all the time. But permanent? Doesn't seem right. Either be a traveller or don't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Northwind wrote:
    But still I don't really understand how someone can be a traveller yet have a permanent residence, Doesn't seem right. Either be a traveller or don't.
    Sorry for the edit but i agree totally
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind wrote:
    There are some bits that peeve me a bit... Like, the council bang on about greenbelt. But apparently the illegal part of the site was built on brownfield, it was an abandoned scrapyard. The land's zoned as greenbelt but this part wasn't. This is the sort of thing that gets overruled instantly in most planning apps but for these guys it seems to be "You have built in greenbelt and that is ALWAYS WRONG". Which is cobblers, people built in genuine greenbelt all the time never mind brownfield. (we're in an area which is overall greenbelt, but our part isn't, so when we built the extension there was a formality to overrule about greenbelt which took no time at all)
    As I understand it, it's always been officially greenbelt and there's been a long running argument over the land long before they turned up. The scrapyard was not approved apparently either.

And then, planning permission... Overall nationally 4/5ths of all planning permission requests are granted, but for travellers 9/10 are denied. So they might have a fair point when they say the system doesn't work for them. And if they can't get planning permission then it's harder to condemn them for not getting planning permission really.
    There's a load of NIMBYism that is part of the reason why they get denied, but it's frequently justified as so many sites like this attract trouble and crime. That's not just generalisation but actual factual experience from the residents nearby.

The system doesn't work for them because they are trying to bypass the system. This lot being turfed out have been offered bricks and mortar accommodation but they refuse it, and no bloody surprise there. They'd have to start paying taxes!

Slap council tax on caravans and they'd stop living in them. So much for being gypsies or travellers.

All that said, it's true a lot of planning permissions from corporates go through even on green belt land and much of it thanks to back handers and councillor interests. Or if you're Tescos, build on it without permission and get away with it anyway.

I know Tescos are scum as well, but I'd still rather Tescos than pikeys as neighbours.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Until Tescos starts selling pikeys cheap. Two for one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools