XTR M985 brakes...but centre lock!!!

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Following my previous post on the subject I decided to follow the advice and order from Merlin. However, I've just been told these brakes are centre lock only which is an issue as I'm running Mavic SX wheels :(

The brakes seem good value at £300, although I'd need to swap to a 180mm front rotor at an extra cost of £40 and possibly also buy converters for the wheels if these are available.

The brakes are to be fitted to my Orange 5 which is my all mountain bike on which I am intending to enter Megavalanche 2012 so I need something strong and fade resistant. I could buy these brakes, swap to XT rotors and sell the Icetech ones but the Bike Radar review implies there may be heat build up issues. Any thoughts?

Comments

• J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    Check out Rose Bikes - some stupidly good deals on shimano brakes at minute (ignore prices on website, they convert from euros the wrong way round - if that makes sense - all becomes clear at checkout!!). Not sure if they have exactly what you want, and you'd need to change the hoses over (2 min job) as they are continental style - but worth a looky!

If it's any help, I've been running the newer style XT rotors and had no issues with heat - if you're that concerned then go to 203mm rotor for the mega - they will dissipated way better than 180mm.
  • Didn't you just buy a Kona for the mega?! :lol:

Whats wrong with the rotors on the bike already?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Didn't you just buy a Kona for the mega?! :lol:

Whats wrong with the rotors on the bike already?

I did (the clue's in the 'miss' - or lack of :wink::lol: )

Not sure I understand Notax's brake issue to be honest :oops: :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He has a deeper voice fool.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • notax

Thanks, not sure I understand this though:

We do not reccomend these for aluminium spidered rotors as they are too thick to attache correctly. Use standard 2mm steel rotors only please

Does this mean I can or can't use with the XTR rotors? I am intending to fit them to Mavic SX wheels...
  • Notax wrote:

We do not reccomend these for aluminium spidered rotors as they are too thick to attache correctly. Use standard 2mm steel rotors only please

Does this mean I can or can't use with the XTR rotors? I am intending to fit them to Mavic SX wheels...

Yeah can't use XTR rotors as they are two-piece spidered rotors - a layer of aluminium sandwiched between two outer sheets of stainless steel.

You could sell the XTR's on ebay/BR for good money and buy a normal XT 6 bolt rotor with the cash or save it an use your current rotors.

Or buy the brakeset without rotors and use your current rotors.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not if they have aluminium spiders. Why not just buy 6 bolt rotors and sell the splined ones on?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • notax
    Notax wrote:

Thanks to the post that mentioned Rose Bikes - found this linky:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:249781

So it seems Shimano themselves make an adaptor, will this work with my Mavic SXs I wonder?
  • cooldad wrote:
    Not if they have aluminium spiders. Why not just buy 6 bolt rotors and sell the splined ones on?

medscaleALUMINIUM%20SPIDERS%20WEB.JPG

:?:
  • Notax wrote:
    Notax wrote:

Thanks to the post that mentioned Rose Bikes - found this linky:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:249781

So it seems Shimano themselves make an adaptor, will this work with my Mavic SXs I wonder?

can't be sure..

its says: "not compatible with brake disc SM-RT 76" which is the shimano XT rotor.. not sure about xtr.
  • notax
    Has anyone used the new XTR brakes with XT 6 bolt rotors? I want a strong reliable set up that will cope with the Alps etc and concerned the non icetech rotors may not be up to it...
  • how much do you weight?

I'm 16 1/2 stone and rode the cwmcarn DH with the older XT brakes and rotors with no issues at all...

what is your current brake setup out of interest?
  • notax
    I'm about 11.5 stone and currently use Hope minis on one bike, Hope M4s on another and Hope Tech 2 on the Orange which are hopeless. I think any half reasonable brake would be ok on the Cwncarn downhill, it is the really long alpine descents that can be a real brake killer in my experience, so keen to find a set up which is strong, resists pump up and fade and ideally one where I can get spares throughout Europe.

New XTR seems to have great reviews, just gutted the rotors wont fit my wheels. I wonder if new XT would be any different to new XTR with XT rotors?