Tubeless Questions

alanryan86
alanryan86 Posts: 28
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So after 2 punctures in 15 miles today I'm considering going tubeless.

I've got WTB TCS rims and WTB Wolverine UST tyres. I've got the tubeless valves that came with my bike as well as a bottle of sealant.

My questions are:

1. Will any tyre sealant do? Are some better than others?

2. If I get a thorn (for example) in my tyre, do I simply pull it out and the sealant seals the hole up?

3. Are there any real cons from going tubeless?

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2011
    1. (IMHO) Stans works the best. It has larger/more particles in the latex which seals up holes better, also it seems to resist drying out for longer. (tried Joe's, Bontrager & Stans)

2. Yes, it should easily seal a thorn hole.

3. If you want to change a tyre, or you really gash a tyre open and need to stitch/gator and tube it, you have a little mess to contend with.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1. Some tyres are only warrantied with specific sealants. You don't even need sealant with UST tyres (but do with TCS tyres).

2. Though sealant will fix the puncture. Pull the thorn out and spin the wheel.

3. UST tyres are quite heavy.

You need the tubless rim strips too, though are probably fitted.
  • Do it i did havent had a puncture since in 1200 miles of riding ran over some barbed wire it sealed instantly plus i have never been able to run low pressures without pinch punctures as a clydesdale run 30-40 psi feel it pinch but no puncture.