Stripping a frame

Keith1983
Keith1983 Posts: 575
edited August 2011 in Workshop
I'm soon to be getting an old bike which I intend to renovate. I want to strip the frame and get it re-painted or powder coated. Can I achieve a decent finish myself or do I really need a professional paint shop to do it for me? Also has anyone got any experience of paying someone to strip the frame and how much could I expect to pay?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You can probably get a blast and powder coat for less than £50. Anything you try will not be as good (hand painting with Hammerite) or durable (spray painting with cans) and the latter will probably cost nearly as much as a powder coat.

You'll need to remove all components, and mask all threads/dropouts/brake bolt holes. You can fit spare bolts and an old BB shell. Headset will depend on frame but I'd probably leave the old races in and replace them after coating. I'm assumimng that you're unlikely to have a frame with an integrated "drop-in" style of headset :D
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Thanks for that rafletcher. Don't suppose you know someone near Lincoln or Sheffield that can do it do you?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Nope soz. Google or Yellow Pages