Short Welsh Tour

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited August 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hey hey,

Wondering if anyone has any insights or route suggestions...

Myself and a friend are going for a quick ride to Wales (2 days there, 2 days riding around and 2 days back). Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to routes?

We'll be fully loaded and camping where we can, so we'd like as remote as possible!

Ideally, the odd decent climb but not all out mountainous days (i'd rather a long climb than a short, steep one).

We literally have no idea about Wales and where we'd like to ride. We thought Snowdonia, or the Brecon Beacons as they should be remote? And also we'll be coming from the Midlands, so getting there as soon as possible would be good.
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I rode the Lôn Las Cymru a couple of years ago and loved it - a truly beautiful ride. I did the whole length - 251 miles from Chepstow to Holyhead - which is longer than what you are looking for, but you can do a portion of it . It is well marked, has enough mountains and climbs to be challenging, and the countryside is absolutely beautiful. I particularly liked the Brecon Beacons and the climb to Gospel Pass.

Give it some thought
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Check out the route for the Tour of the Black Mountains. Supposed to be very nice (certainly nicer than the Dragon Ride), but I hear it's got some steep sections so it might give you an idea of where *not* to ride.

The Gower Peninsula is lovely, has stunning beaches and some campsites (the one just off Rhosilli beach springs to mind), but may just be a tad far, depending on how much mileage you want to do a day getting to where you want to ride.

Never ridden in North Wales, so don't know what the riding in Snowdonia NP is like (although I'm about to post requesting some info on that!), but I imagine the views must be lovely.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • preseli hills are remote and a bit magical... love it there, very chilled http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/content.asp?id=2315
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    anywhere down the coast from anglesey to cardiff.

we cycle camped over 10 days last year. Llyn peninsular was great, no problem finding campsites anywhere down the coast.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    Visit Britain (if it still exists) used to have a booklet about "the lanes" of Wales, published for cyclists. North Wales is lovely, I especially like the area around Barmouth and surrounding Cader Idris mountain. Steep sections I've come across have tended to be short. Snowdonia NP seems to be mostly gentle ascents such as Pen y Pass.