How much travel? Beginner to full suspension

2»

Comments

• h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    edited July 2011
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Before you take the plunge, try fitting a pair of fat tyres, wide bar and short stem, you'd be amazed at the difference it makes. It'll cost you about £100 and it's stuff that you can easily transfer to a full suss if you decide you really want to go for it.

I think I've decided on a custom build, so yes this would be a logical step. I'm running a 80mm stem currently (and due to uphill performance I'm not too keen on much shorter) but not sure what width bars I have currently. I used to run 2.2 Mountain Kings until I shreaded 2 sets in 4 months, but I'd be willing to try a full size set of High Rollers or similar (2.25+).

Most of my off-road riding includes rock gardens and off-trail sections, so my compromise with tyres and choice of 70a 2.1 High Rollers, although a good one, is somewhat restrictive. I think the best option would be to stop being lazy and run 2 sets of tyres...

My current thought pattern is like this - keep trying AM bikes whenever I get a chance, and maybe try a few smaller mods on the core - ones that could be transferred when I settle on a frame. If i end up sticking with HT I'm considering a custom build Cove Stiffee or similar... That way I can keep the Core as a stock set-up for road/light XC use which it excels at, and use the second bike for hardcore use with fat tyres etc etc.

Having said all this, the main issue I have with my Core for offroad (other than some slight discomfort on the wrists probably down to the fork not being designed for rock gardens and technical trails, and slim tyres) is the rear end - I find it very stiff and not very forgiving, and it actually prevents me from hitting many aspects of my ride that I would like to, as I know I will get shaken around, or thrown off the bike.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Sounds like a plan :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Are you clipped in or on flatties?
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • h34e0f
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Are you clipped in or on flatties?

Currently running stock-fit flats with very poor Nike 6.0s. Was planing to get a pair of Five Tens over the weekend, as pedal grip is currently my biggest drawback...
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Yeah, might want to get a grippier pedal too, or go clipped in
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

• h34e0f
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Yeah, might want to get a grippier pedal too, or go clipped in

I was planning to see how the shoes did, and move from there. Not keen on moving to clipless as I use my bike for commuting, going to the pub, the shops, basically everywhere and don't fancy walking around sounding like I'm wearing stilettos 8) This is the reason I wanted two bikes - so I can set one up for general use and the offer for hardcore stuff. Compromises don't work.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Fair enough, make sure you keep on top of chain wear though, as you'd be surprised how quickly your bike gets wrecked commuting, that's why I bought a fixie. Also, swapping pedals only takes two minutes.
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

• h34e0f
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Fair enough, make sure you keep on top of chain wear though, as you'd be surprised how quickly your bike gets wrecked commuting, that's why I bought a fixie. Also, swapping pedals only takes two minutes.

Note where I live. Fixie is not an option - too many hills! Also when i'm back from uni my commute consists of what most people would consider a standard XC ride (I live in the middle of nowhere).

But I will definitely consider your point, as I've been running it through my head for some time, however for now, I think I'll stick with flats.
  • 1mancity2
    Five tens with something like welligos will give you loads of grip, I use welligo Mg with terror pins and five ten karvers, loads of grip even over the roughest bits of the trails.
  • h34e0f
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Five tens with something like welligos will give you loads of grip, I use welligo Mg with terror pins and five ten karvers, loads of grip even over the roughest bits of the trails.

The Core came with Welgos as standard, but I may look into replacing the pins for longer ones (mine are pretty badly worn down.)

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses, I've also been reading a lot elsewhere on the matter and have picked up a lot of information regarding to HT vs FS. I think you're right with sticking with HT, for now. I think a tougher HT set up would benefit my riding far more than an AM at this stage, and if I go for a custom build, I can simply swap the frame (and maybe a few other bits) for a FS at a later date.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    So just built a snyper 140 for a guy leaving hard tails behind and he is very happy, 160 bikes might just be a bit heavy for real all around use and 120 might be too little if you start going massive

and if you are to do proper DH, you would really need DH forks, not the best for cutting about on

but if you keeping the HT 5-10's and a set of nice pedals (superstar nano thru pin) are a good choice, and maybe 9 or single speed to loose some weight and make crash proof
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    h34e0f wrote:
    But to me it just seems like a sidestep getting another HT...
    I wouldn't worry about that. I've currently got 3 and there all massively different from each other. Duster for big XC days out, mmmBop for tougher DH stuff, 29er for local rides and commuting.

Taking on a custom build yourself and trying out the new bits on your Core sounds like a good plan. So you're next big decision is what frame?
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • h34e0f
    CycloRos wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about that. I've currently got 3 and there all massively different from each other. Duster for big XC days out, mmmBop for tougher DH stuff, 29er for local rides and commuting.

Taking on a custom build yourself and trying out the new bits on your Core sounds like a good plan. So you're next big decision is what frame?

Something like the Cove Stiffee looks a good option. Only problem is getting it in my size (20.5" minimum). But set up as an AM rig could work well for what I'm looking for.

I'd fully overhaul the Core but I'd rather keep it stock to a. give me a bike that is guaranteed to be ridable and b. keep it for general road/xc use.
  • 1mancity2
    h34e0f wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:

The Core came with Welgos as standard, but I may look into replacing the pins for longer ones (mine are pretty badly worn down.)

Dmr extra long Terror pins in each corner should be enough to sort you out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Came next day as well. :wink:
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    h34e0f wrote:
    CycloRos wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:

Something like the Cove Stiffee looks a good option. Only problem is getting it in my size (20.5" minimum). But set up as an AM rig could work well for what I'm looking for.

I'd fully overhaul the Core but I'd rather keep it stock to a. give me a bike that is guaranteed to be ridable and b. keep it for general road/xc use.

I love my Stiffee, but, the frames *are* expensive compared to other long travel hardtail frames (like the 456 etc). And I think the biggest they do is 19.5". Although, having a smaller frame could be better for the steeper more techncal trails. I could have easily got away with a 15.5" rather than the 17.5 I went for. But I figured the 17.5 would be better for climbs and all day rides.

Try to find a local dealer to try the size out.
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f wrote:
    CycloRos wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:

I love my Stiffee, but, the frames *are* expensive compared to other long travel hardtail frames (like the 456 etc). And I think the biggest they do is 19.5". Although, having a smaller frame could be better for the steeper more techncal trails. I could have easily got away with a 15.5" rather than the 17.5 I went for. But I figured the 17.5 would be better for climbs and all day rides.

Try to find a local dealer to try the size out.

They have 20.5 listed on the Cove website but I'm yet to find one in the UK... I'm 6'5 and my 20.5" Core is verging on too small. I used to ride a 19" Trek and it was disastrous. I would have to try one out though to see.
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    You could give Silverfish a call, they're the UK dealers. The Cove website is generally quite out of date on colours, so maybe it is for sizes as well.

The Silverfish website has the 20.5" listed on their geometry chart, but that's dated 2009. The "Available in" section only seems to go up to 19.5"

The only thing I'd be tempted to change on my own set up is my forks. I just have the QR Revelations. They're fine, but when I do come to spend money on the bike it'll be new front hub and bolt through Revs.
  • h34e0f
    You could give Silverfish a call, they're the UK dealers. The Cove website is generally quite out of date on colours, so maybe it is for sizes as well.

The Silverfish website has the 20.5" listed on their geometry chart, but that's dated 2009. The "Available in" section only seems to go up to 19.5"

The only thing I'd be tempted to change on my own set up is my forks. I just have the QR Revelations. They're fine, but when I do come to spend money on the bike it'll be new front hub and bolt through Revs.

Emailed them last night about it, waiting for a reply.

And yes I totally agree. I've found the QR on my Core to be a pain - lack of upgrade options, otherwise I'd have Revs by now...

I'll definitely start with a thru-axle set up
  • h34e0f
    This is like my regular ride over the past month - 6 weeks. Hopefully this will shed some light on why I was after a FS bike.

Technical+Trail.JPG
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    err why?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • h34e0f
    nicklouse wrote:
    err why?

Because it was before you lot changed my mind 8)
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    thats easy even on a HT .
    go faster and it would be smoother ( like steps) or use the first lot of roots as a launch pad for jumping over the rest of the roots .
  • h34e0f
    NatoED wrote:
    thats easy even on a HT .
    go faster and it would be smoother ( like steps) or use the first lot of roots as a launch pad for jumping over the rest of the roots .

Yeah I think this post has taught me to man up a bit and do some serious work to advance my riding
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    nah it's not manning up just closing your eyes and hoping . lol If you get a little quicker it's amazing how much things smooth out. If i would go full sus I'd get a shorter travel bike like an anthem . or frame only and transfer parts over
  • h34e0f
    NatoED wrote:
    nah it's not manning up just closing your eyes and hoping . lol If you get a little quicker it's amazing how much things smooth out. If i would go full sus I'd get a shorter travel bike like an anthem . or frame only and transfer parts over

Yeah well my plan is to get a tougher HT frame and custom build it to an AM setup, so that I can transfer it to a FS frame at a later date.
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    I went out for my first ride on my Trance Ltd yesterday and came home with the biggest grin ever - I rode a down hill section that had me stopping on my old hard tail (last week) because my arms, legs, wrists & hands all ached so much I couldn't stay on the bike, to pedalling flat out and whooping like a loonatic on the new one! :D

Bike technology has come a long way since 1993!! I was staggered at how the new bike coped with the terrain and how comfortable it made me. Granted I am comparing 50mm of front travel to 120 of F&R but all the same still impressive.

The added bonus for me was that the road work and the climb up were all comparable to my hard tail although the new saddle, shall we say, made its mark! :oops:

So, I 'd say go full sus unless you want to be a full on XC racer. The comfort and sure footedness really inspires confidence.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.