Gangsta rap....

2»

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    DDD,

Let's be careful here - getting awfully close to waving a card with racist on it, and that would be incorrect and a mistake.

My original post to GTV was, to a large extent, tongue in cheek. Sheesh, the fella can listen to whatever the hell he wants - I'd rib him equally if he turned out to be a massive fan of bubblegum pop.

When I referred to white teenagers pretending to be black teenagers I should have been a little more specific, apologies for the width of the brush. What I meant specifically was white teenagers adopting the mannerisms, speech patterns, dress and 'bling' that they associate with black US gang culture. A group of white kids with jailing trousers, gold chains, sideways basesball caps hanging around passing a joint whilst referring to each other as 'Homes' on a street corner in Stevenage is more what I was referring to.

I'll sit down now.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SimonAH wrote:
    When I referred to white teenagers pretending to be black teenagers I should have been a little more specific, apologies for the width of the brush. What I meant specifically was white teenagers adopting the mannerisms, speech patterns, dress and 'bling' that they associate with black US gang culture. A group of white kids with jailing trousers, gold chains, sideways basesball caps hanging around passing a joint whilst referring to each other as 'Homes' on a street corner in Stevenage is more what I was referring to.

In London that isn't really the case, its just the way teenagers who live in multiracial communities talk. Its quite distinct from "black US gang culture". Not sure about how it is in Stevenage though.
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    SimonAH wrote:
    DDD,

Let's be careful here - getting awfully close to waving a card with racist on it, and that would be incorrect and a mistake.

My original post to GTV was, to a large extent, tongue in cheek. Sheesh, the fella can listen to whatever the hell he wants - I'd rib him equally if he turned out to be a massive fan of bubblegum pop.

I'll sit down now.

Not PC but round my way they are called wiggers adapted from NWA basically and they are pathetic in my opinion, mostly seen hanging around the fried chicken shop or being really hard and smashing up the phonebox/bus shelter. They sometimes gob off to other people but only if there is a minimum distance of 500 yards otherwise they get their heads kicked in. I noticed the otherday they have sprayed crenshaw onto the fried chicken shop wall obviously influenced by the film Menance to society which is a good film to be fair. They obviously feel they can relate to the poor kids of the watts estates who have nothing living in surrey with all their iphones, laptops and 5 bedroom houses etc. :lol:
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm not calling anyone racist.
    SimonAH wrote:

I'll sit down now.

Where do you draw the line between adopted culture and the actual culture that they were born into?

My thoughts lean towards a child born on the 7th floor of a block of flats who exudes what we identify as urban culture that others would call 'acting black'.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,701
    Two things: cultural definitions can get very blurry round the edges, and they are only general descriptions of groups. As soon as you look at one individual and define whether they belong to X culture, the whole thing disolves. Best to think of cultural definitions as a kind of shorthand - 'urban' instead of 'jailing trousers, gold chains, sideways basesball caps hanging around passing a joint whilst referring to each other as 'Homes''.

But hell, GTV, go with it. Anything to confound people's expectations of you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Is Kenneth (sorry "K") 'acting black' or just exhibiting the speech and mannerisms of his peers?

'Black culture' is the dominant culture of yoof and has been for ages, no matter where you live. Spraying 'Crenshaw' on a wall in Stevenage just means that they have been watching Boyz 'N' Tha Hood (more likely than Menace II Society but that is also possible) and they were probably directed there after playing GTA.

And calling each other 'Homes', 'Homie' or Homeboy means they were apeing American black culture (from watching films) rather than black British culture, in which case they would have been calling each other 'Blud' or 'Fam'. Thus reinforcing what I said about watching Boyz 'N' Tha Hood, Menace II Society and Belly (starring Nas).

Which brings me back to the music. WRT Gangsta Rap, a very white, middle/upper class girl I know said of Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None) on Snoop's Doggy Style album that she "hates what he says, but I (she) loves the way he says it". She was doing a degree in Women Studies or some other form of yoghurt knitting.

Jean Grae and The Herbalizer (two separate artists but they have worked together) are both good.

I would suggest picking an artist that you like (or have been recommended to listen to) and do a Youtube search then listen to the other tracks that come up in the listings as they are usually related. I've found all sorts of interesting things that way.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    NGale wrote:
    could you just not buy a motorbike like every other man having a midlife crisis.

That or a stupidly expensive car, a £5k racing bike, a mountian bike, cyclo cross and 'just for a laugh' a bmx!

LOL love it
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    +1 on A Tribe Called Quest
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    You've really got to listen to some of the Wu Tang's solo stuff. It is AMAZING.

My favourite albums are Ghostface - Ironman, Method Man - Tical, GZA - Liquid Swordz and Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx.

Winter Warz is my all time favourite Wu track. I have to say Cappadonnas The Pillage is my favourite solo album
  • notsoblue
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    John Robinson (MF Doom on the beats) - I love the Ramsey Lewis sample.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3a-dLlrOTI

+1 to John Robinson, saw him at the Doctor's Orders gig a few years ago. Actually, The Doctor's Orders is a good place to go if you wanted to familiarise yourself with the genre. Heres a brilliant 90's mix:
    http://www.soulbrewsounds.com/doctorsor ... 0FINAL.mp3
    Other mixes here: http://www.thedoctorsorders.com/sounds.html

Also, +1 to GZA's Liquid Swords, classic album (don't go near Bobby Digital though :().
  • DJ Quik

Genius!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Oh you guys!

I laughed so hard at this thread I nearly wee'd myself!!

I guess I don't really understand the lyrics, references or culture, but I love the fact that allot of the tunes tell a story, some with great emotion. Yeah, some of it is just un-PC b0ll0x and chauvenistic has violent undertones - however, I love the artform and enjoy the music. I think that rappers, be they gangsta or not, are very talented.

Triumph (featuring Cappadonna) is such a great tune and I would advise anyone to listen to: I can't go to sleep by Wu Tang - quite evocative, even for a middle class Herefordshire farmboy!

@Simonah - had some bad news on Friday, you about for beeros this week? Drop me a line with your movements...! Got Talisker for you.
  • Galfinnan
    Galfinnan Posts: 49
    I would certailnly recommend the Wu solo work too, Ironman, Only Built, Liquid Swordz, Tical are all great but I also enjoyed Return to the 36 chambers by ODB, bit out there but still a great album. Raekwon's Immobilarity and GFK's Supreme Clientele.

Jurassic 5 are also a great old-school type but some real nice songs.

While not Gangsta as such I would recommend Talib Kweli and Lupe Fiasco (quite a few videos on youtube of both) both of who are part of the more enlightened group of artists doing the rounds.

People might laugh at this but as much as I dislike what 50Cent has become his first album still stands the test of time (to me) but I wouldn't listen to anything after that.
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    Just remembered:

Geto boys - still

Though this scene's a little more the OP's scene...
  • EKE_38BPM
    All of this talk of Gangsta Rap is making me nostalgic and I'm thinking of making a CD.
    GTV, if I do make a CD, shall I send you a copy?
    PM me your address if the answer is 'Word'.

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Chadders81 wrote:
    You've really got to listen to some of the Wu Tang's solo stuff. It is AMAZING.

My favourite albums are Ghostface - Ironman, Method Man - Tical, GZA - Liquid Swordz and Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx.

Winter Warz is my all time favourite Wu track. I have to say Cappadonnas The Pillage is my favourite solo album

Cappadonna is underated. His verse on Winter Warz is spellbinding.

If you're talking Geto Boys then it's surely got to be Bring It On.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIrHOUnJ8eA
  • EKE_38BPM
    I do love Ante Up by M.O.P. but I have recently discovered this video, which I think is excellent.

The remix featuring Busta Rhymes is good too.

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    'Gangsta Rap' is quite a smallish niche of Hip Hop though is it not? Sort of existed for a few years with Tupac and Biggie, Warren G and Snoop etc...the whole 'East Coast/West Coast thang'.

I prefer 'old school' stuff like Lords of the Underground and Jeru the Damaja etc.

+1 for Nas - Ilmatic. Still listened to it regularly.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Edit: Talking more about hiphop generally here. I don't dig on the term 'Gangsta'.

Don't be fooled into picking up those 'classics' people bang on about. NWA, Cypress Hill, Dr Dre's The Chronic etc have not withstood the test of time. Absolute garbage imo and the kind of stuff that gives rap a bad name. We've moved on a lot since then. A lot of the big names produce some awful stuff. Has it's place in history but thats where it should remain. This is the best thing to come out of that period... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LzUSWg ... re=related

Nas - Illmatic, Stillmatic, Distant Relatives (With Damian Marley) and God's Son... for starters. Nas is the man in my opinion. My favourite MC and pure quality.

If you like Wu...my fave affiliate album is Heavymental by Killah Priest. Wu Tang Forever is good and so is Iron Flag. Liquid Swords is widely regarded as the best Wu album released. RZA stuff is worth a look too. Best Wu Tracks? Triumph, Impossible and Hollow Bones. Btw, ODB (RIP) was by far the worst Wu MC. His solo album was one of the worst things I'd ever heard.

Kanye's albums are all excellent.

British stuff - Ty - Awkward, Upwards and Closer and Roots Manuva - Brand New Second Hand. I didn't rate his follow ups.

Lupe Fiasco - Can't go wrong until Lasers which is poor.

Guru's Jazzamatazz series and work with Gang Starr. Get Full Clip.

West Coast - Blackalicious, Jurassic5, Latryx, Lyrics Born. Quannum Spectrum is a great album. Folow all the affiliates if you like any of the above as they're of the same style.

French!? MC Solaar! Prose Combat is best.

Mos Def and Talib Kweli.

Find what you like and follow the related artists until you're ready for something new.

If you want somewhere to get a taster... here is the holy grail ... http://www.datpiff.com/ most searches for more mainstream/gangsta will turn up results here. There's hundreds of Nas mixtapes for example but nothing for the Jurassic5 type stuff cus its for wimps :wink: There are some good Wiz Khalifa tapes there. All free and legal and many good ones. That Wu vs Beatles one is there I think. Which is quality.

Oh and you'll need this for translations! http://www.urbandictionary.com/ now you know what a Pinky Ring is!

Oh and yeh... I'm a wigga too! Living in West Wales y'all! Peace.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    ^^^^^^ "I`m The Man" - Gang Starr featuring Nice n Smooth and Jeru the Damaja (on Hard to Earn) is frickin awesome.

Also, if no one has mentioned Gravediggaz why not?

And not 'gangsta' but still awesome... Jurassic 5 (in fact pretty much anything with Chali 2Na)
  • gtvlusso
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    All of this talk of Gangsta Rap is making me nostalgic and I'm thinking of making a CD.
    GTV, if I do make a CD, shall I send you a copy?
    PM me your address if the answer is 'Word'.

'Word, Mos def'

Thanks Eke, will PM you my Bronx address....
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I could think of better things to go back to listening to than that, some of the very early stuff is okay beat wise, the rest is just people with zero talent talking total sh!te who can program a drum machine
  • notsoblue
    Paul E wrote:
    I could think of better things to go back to listening to than that, some of the very early stuff is okay beat wise, the rest is just people with zero talent talking total sh!te who can program a drum machine

Example?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Paul E wrote:

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. No-one is forcing you.

However, whilst exercising your freedom of choice, think of me who will be forced to endure English folk music this weekend.
    I shall be loading my brain up with Taskforce and The Roots today in preparation for a musically very long weekend.

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

However, whilst exercising your freedom of choice, think of me who will be forced to endure English folk music this weekend.
    I shall be loading my brain up with Taskforce and The Roots today in preparation for a musically very long weekend.

I know and I am glad no one forces me, sames as folk music and country and western, anything else though is good to go

The early stuff when it was anger against repression, police brutality was fine as the music had heart and a message, after that and it went commercial it lost something and held no weight for me. is that a better way of putting it?
  • gtvlusso
    Paul E wrote:
    I know and I am glad no one forces me, sames as folk music and country and western, anything else though is good to go

Why comment on the forum if you don't like it....? I am a bit lost on what you are saying - you don't like folk, country and wester or rap/hip hop - thats fine, happy for you. I was asking for recommendations rather than asking if it was to your taste.
    Paul E wrote:
    The early stuff when it was anger against repression, police brutality was fine as the music had heart and a message, after that and it went commercial it lost something and held no weight for me. is that a better way of putting it?

Please give examples of "the early stuff" and the message. I think you are mixing up Kanye West, Flo-Rida and so on with what I was asking about.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,701
    edited July 2011
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Now who's being dismissive? I'm sure you could learn to love The Unthanks for example.

EDIT: Check out The Imagine Village as well if you like a bit of social comment in your lyrics.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    Paul E wrote:

"it went commercial"... The whole genre didn't go "commercial". At its heart its still as expressive as blues or folk imo. That, combined with really satisfying beats, is what makes me love hip-hop. Don't write off a whole genre because some of it is "commercial".
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Lol thats brilliant. MC's ran out of things to comment upon in the mid 90's and have been freewheeling ever since is it?! A whole world of artists with nothing left to say?

By the way, don't dismiss Kanye as being vacuous. He gives interesting commentary in a lot of his tracks. Kanye isn't just Gold Digger and Lupe Fiasco isn't just Kick Push. They're just what makes it into the UK singles charts.