Gangsta rap....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
As some of you will be aware, I am midway through my premature midlife crisis. I am currently listening to Wu Tang clan whilst driving my "bling bling" truck.

Does anyone have any other gangsta rap artistes that I should be listening to?

On the playlist at the moment:

Wu Tang
Mos Def
Pharoahe Monck

recommendations?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Snoop, obviously.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Tupac
    Biggie
    Nas

In that order.

That is all.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    could you just not buy a motorbike like every other man having a midlife crisis.

That or a stupidly expensive car, a £5k racing bike, a mountian bike, cyclo cross and 'just for a laugh' a bmx!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    gangstarr

q-tip

Nas

Dre (early stuff)

jurassic 5 (more hiphop)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    gtvlusso wrote:
    whilst driving my "bling bling" truck.

Riding on 22" spinners?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gtvlusso
    redvee wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    whilst driving my "bling bling" truck.

Riding on 22" spinners?

Y'know it....

Well actually 17" standards, not terribly bling.....
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    NWA

Goldie looking chain for comedy value

LLCoolJ Mama Said knock you out

Cypress Hill
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • gtvlusso
    Q-tip is good. Loved some of his collaboration work with the Beastie Boys. Jurassic 5 are good too

Taking notes....
  • mudcow007
    do you want just strictly gangsta (yo) or hip hop too?

hip hop there are millions......

Luniz

Herbie Handcock

Warran G

Arrested Development
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    NWA.

I have a big soft spot for nothing but a G thang too.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    No.

Jeff, you are a nice chap. I enjoy your company. I would go as far to say I llike you.

You are however a white middle class middle income chap with a wife and kids.

Gangsta rap is not for you.

Apart from a few (very very few, count them up without having to remove socks few) odd tracks that have merit, it is a body of work best confined to 'the ghet-to" and to pimply hoodied white teenagers who hang out pretending to be black teenagers. Is there anything more pathetic in this world than a skinny white boy with his trousers so low that he must have pinned them to his boxers?

Throw it all away, buy some Mahler, revisit early Floyd, crank up the Doobies or Creedence by all means, but consign Doggy Doggy Snoop Snoop to the charity shop. Please.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Pharycyde for a slightly different flavour? Or Gravediggaz?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mudcow007
    SimonAH wrote:

Throw it all away, buy some Mahler, revisit early Floyd, crank up the Doobies or Creedence by all means, but consign Doggy Doggy Snoop Snoop to the charity shop. Please.

I'm curently listen to "Born on a bayou" by Creedance!
  • rick_chasey
    SimonAH wrote:
    No.

Jeff, you are a nice chap. I enjoy your company. I would go as far to say I llike you.

Apart from a few (very very few, count them up without having to remove socks few) odd tracks that have merit, it is a body of work best confined to 'the ghet-to" and to pimply hoodied white teenagers who hang out pretending to be black teenagers. Is there anything more pathetic in this world than a skinny white boy with his trousers so low that he must have pinned them to his boxers?

White middle class men could do with an education in what problems poor socio-economic conditions bring so they stop voting Tory.

Go forth and enjoy the music.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    You've really got to listen to some of the Wu Tang's solo stuff. It is AMAZING.

My favourite albums are Ghostface - Ironman, Method Man - Tical, GZA - Liquid Swordz and Raekwon - Only Built for Cuban Linx.

New Wu Tang album on Monday I think as well.

Get Nas - Illmatic as well. That's the only album in my opinion that has ever come close to Wu Tang.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Also - you need to download Magical Mystery Chambers. It's a mash-up of Beatles and Wu Tang tracks. Came out last year. Done by a guy called Tom Caruana.
  • SimonAH
    I'm sorry. The only thing that gansta rap has given to the world that makes it a better place is the word 'Ho'

And possibly 'Yo shizzle ma nizzle', but only when Mike Myers says it as Dr Evil in the fantastic cover of Hard Knock Life he did with Mini Me in the jail.

If you want an understanding of poor black socio economics then go visit Detroit or Washington (where you can find a drive-by within earshot of the Whitehouse, says a lot really).

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    For Gangsta rap:
    Westcoast: The Twinz (Warren G's cousins). 'Conversation' is a good album.
    Eastcoast: Big L (RIP). Cut down before he reached his prime but 'The Big Picture' is a good album.

For Hip Hop:
    The Roots or (and you won't be expecting this) Black Eyed Peas! They were good before Fergie came along. 'Bridging The Gap' is in the car at the moment.
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Dilated Peoples

Old Skool:
    Gil Scott Heron (RIP)
    Herbie Hancock

More generally, just about anything on the Rawkus label (Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch etc). Sound Bombing is definitely worth a listen.
    Bizarrely, Rawkus were bankrolled by James Murdoch!!!!

And to placate the people who think that white people shouldn't listen to black people, how about early Eminem and The Beastie Boys? Happy now SimonAH?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Nate Dogg died of a stroke. Very fitting.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    while not "gangsta" Dalek are freaking awesome
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Phil_D wrote:
    Nate Dogg died of a stroke. Very fitting.

Big Pun died of obesity. Very fatting.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    EKE my man,

I most certainly do not think that white people should not listen to black people, my CD collection would be reduced by at least 50% if I culled the black artists - and by probably 75% if I culled music with black influence.

It's just the posturing, violence, bigotry, misogynism and crap values espoused by Gangsta Rap that I dislike specifically.

Interestingly there was a study perfomed in the states a few years ago that found no correlation between gangsta rap and crime amongst black youth (because it was just the music) but did see an increase in criminality amongst white youth who listened primarially to gangsta rap as they considered it aspirational and tried to emulate what they were hearing (the sad little sods).

Rap, no problem, Gansta Rap - no thanks. Unless of course you're mature and intelligent enough to listen to it and filter out the testicles.

Just my tuppence.

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    SimonAH wrote:
    EKE my man,

I most certainly do not think that white people should not listen to black people, my CD collection would be reduced by at least 50% if I culled the black artists - and by probably 75% if I culled music with black influence.

It's just the posturing, violence, bigotry, misogynism and crap values espoused by Gangsta Rap that I dislike specifically.

Interestingly there was a study perfomed in the states a few years ago that found no correlation between gangsta rap and crime amongst black youth (because it was just the music) but did see an increase in criminality amongst white youth who listened primarially to gangsta rap as they considered it aspirational and tried to emulate what they were hearing (the sad little sods).

Rap, no problem, Gansta Rap - no thanks. Unless of course you're mature and intelligent enough to listen to it and filter out the testicles.

Just my tuppence.

Maybe Insane Clown Posse is more your thing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    edited July 2011
    SimonAH wrote:
    No.

Yep, people who discriminate through music.

Also I get tired of people who use the phrase "acting black" or "pretending to be black teenagers".

How do black teenagers collectively act that they can be generalised with such a broad paint brush? I don't act the way the stereotype describes, neither does my brother or my friends or his friends. Perhaps it's the 'urban' tinted glasses people choose to look at the world with.

Also sit on a school bus and listen to a variety of kids, born here, raised here and who live in the same area and I bet most wouldn't be able to hear a difference. More often than not I can't.

As for Gangsta rap. While not a huge fan (anymore) as it does often give off a ultra-negative message. Jesus, let the man listen to what he enjoys. Music doesn't discriminate through ethnicity - so neither should you!

:x
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    SimonAH wrote:

If you want an understanding of poor black socio economics then go visit Detroit or Washington (where you can find a drive-by within earshot of the Whitehouse, says a lot really).

Yeah buying a CD or downloading a tune is much cheaper.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    My i-digital-music-player-with-pod-in-the-name has recently been serving me up a whole load of Herbaliser, x-ecutioners and Roots Manuva again recently....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    Nas is a poet in my opinion greatest mouth to form words into a sentence that we identify as rap.

Lupe Fiasco is my next favourite but currently I'm enjoying Skindred and Reggae.
    Food Chain number = 4

• recently been riding with :
    Non Phixion
    Celph Titled
    Bambu
    Dead Prez
    Demigodz
    J Dilla
    Mr Lif
    Aesop Rock
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Rakim

+1 for Tribe Called Quest
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Unless you're listening to Wu-tang for nostalgic reasons, I doubt you'll get much from it. Start at The Roots and work your way back imo. Hip-hop with pedigree, and they're real musicians with a pretty eclectic range.