Broken Frame #2

2»

Comments

• Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Don't know what steel the Equilibrium is but aren't some bikesmade of stainless variants that don't rust? Ti is nice, I was passed by a bloke on a gorgeous Ti bike in the park last week. Big fella, legs like tree trunks that left me for dead up a hill.

"Reynolds 725 double-butted heat-treated Cr-Mo"

Stainless steel is a bugger to weld, only a very few places are rated by Reynolds to use their stainless variant (953?). 725 is a high grade steel, very similar to the classic 753, except that it can be TIG welded, like it is on the Equilibrium, rather than just using lugs.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JZed wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Why buy a whole bike? Why not just buy a frameset instead and transfer all your components over? Use the £1000 CW voucher for a frameset and you'll get a fantastic bike, something that you can upgrade the components on in the knowledge that the frame will support them.

I wonder if you can get a Ti frame and decent forks for £1k?

Enigma do a Ti frame for £999 I think. Eclipse I think.

EDIT: No fork though

Fatbirds are doing VanNicholas for under a grand

Spa Cycles touring Ti frame and forks - £800; http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s143p2323

Whole bike for £1500.

Or hand made Bob Jackson steel for not much more than £400.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JZed wrote:
    No expert but it doesn't rust and from what I've read they last decades.

Isn't an Equilibrium > £1,000

To be fair, Reynolds 531 doesn't really rust much either. Certainly a 531 bike should last decades as well. I wouldn't buy a bike that I thought wouldn't last that long!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Trying to process a Warranty claim, but even if successful will end up with a 2011 Sirius Comp which is Deore hubs so my current wheels will not fit. Apparently if successful I'll get a new set of stock wheels instead but that's not what I want.

So here are current options

On C2W get a

Genesis Equilibrium 10 or 20, this come down to wanting black or red and tiagra vs 105. I'd use my wheels on both, as 10 is 9 speed my recently purchased 11-28T cassette would just fit and so I'd end up with a spare set of wheels with Alex Hubs and Spare 12/25T 9 speed cassette. With the 20 I'd have a spare 11-28T 9 speed which would be no use, and a pair of Shimano RS10 wheels spare. If I wanted a different 10 speed cassette I'd need to purchase it separately. the swinging point on this might be simple matter of the cabling on the gear shifters. Difference in cost is £8 per month for a year. So for net cost of £96 I think the 105 is worth it :D

If I take this option and warranty comes through then I can build the new bike with old stuff and have N+1 or flog the new frame and wheels and buy another frame to build in to a winter hack if I want wheel compatibility.

or

Buy the Dawes frame I've been offered looks like it's a never ridding Ultra Galaxy with minor shop damage (a small dent) for £200, or source another frame from somewhere, and build a new flat bar commuter bike from the bits and wait until next year to get road bike when I can afford Ti. If warranty come through simply flog the frame and wheels on ebay.

Any opinions? I'm gearing towards a new Genesis 20. Hopefully I can get work to pay by Credit Card tomorrow and get it shipped this week so i can practice riding drop bar this weekend and commute on Monday.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Get whichever you like the most, and will result in you having more than one bike. You need more than one if you're commuting every day. I love my Equilibrium, it's fast, light and comfy. Can't really say much more than that.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    And the Equilibriums are facing another hefty price hike for 2012, so now is the time if you want one....

Lovely bike to ride too.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Why won't your current wheels fit on the 2011 Sirius?
  • Sounds like they've moved to MTB rear spacing, his nice new wheels are Road spaced.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    why not get yourself a Fratello frame?
  • sketchley
    Sounds like they've moved to MTB rear spacing, his nice new wheels are Road spaced.

Correct. Although rather academic as I can't find the original reciept for the bike I won't be making a warranty claim. Despite telling me otherwise originally Evans won't accept the invoice to me company for the C2W voucher as proof of purchase. @rse. I wanted a road bike anyway.

Going to order an EQ 20 tomorrow if work will place ball and pay for it via Company Credit Card. Work's out at £42 per month from take home pay for a year.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for a cheap road frame and eventually I'll rebuild it as I'd still like a flat bar for winter commuting. There's a ribble one for £101 delivered here. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAR250
    --
    Chris

• Nobody with SCR in their heart goes back to flat-bars. To do so would be to wave a white flag. :x
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Sketchley wrote:
    There's a ribble one for £101 delivered here. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAR250

ITB has one of those I think.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'd still like a flat bar

wash your mouth out
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JZed wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    There's a ribble one for £101 delivered here. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAR250

ITB has one of those I think.

I've got one with full Tiagra, carbon forks etc etc. It's a decent enough commuter...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    I'd still like a flat bar

wash your mouth out

You're probably right. Once I get used to drop bar..... Give me a few weeks.

One problems will be having bits of bike in the shed. Probably should het used to that too.
    --
    Chris