Knee Cartilage Op - Recovery?

Bottster
Bottster Posts: 18
Hi All,
So today i finally had my knee op - arthroscopy and repair of a nice big bucket tear of my meniscus cartilage.

I'm gutted because i have only been riding again for the last 2 months and absolutely loving it, in the last 2 weeks my fitness suddenly clicked too and it made such a big difference to enjoying the rides (downhill sections are so much more fun when you are not absolutely knackered from riding to the top... or usually pushing to the top!)

Not managed to speak to my consultant yet about recovery times so has anyone had a similar op and are able to give me a rough guideline on how long i am likely to be out?

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• I had the exact same thing when I was 18.... bad rugby injury :(

Also had the arthroscropy, amazing procedure! were you awake or knocked out?

Never got back into rugby properly but have played a few games since.

I started building the strength back up in my knee within 8 weeks with really good bouts of physiotherapy.

You've got to take it slow and build it up gradually. If it doesn't feel right then don't do it.

Make sure you get on with a good physio though.

I'm 24 now and riding as much as I can. I do still get the odd twinge which really does hurt, and because of my injury the doc reckons I might need a knee replacement by my late 30's. But at the moment its fine!
  • Bottster
    Hi Northern Monkey, thanks for the reply and advice.

8 weeks huh? That makes me weep like baby jesus !! I have already had an Anterior Cruciate ligament reconstruction a few years back which included pinning some badly torn cartilage and was hoping this one would be nice and quick for recovery but i am guessing that's the end of my summer riding :cry:

I was knocked out unfortunately, would have been interesting to watch what was going on.

I'm 37 and not quite as impatient and bomb proof as i was when i was younger so i definitely intend to make sure i do everything i can to make sure i have as much chance as possible to fully recover. Appreciate the advice on the physio, i think i will definitely be investing some money on a decent private one that i know.

When you say you get the odd twinge still, is that because you still have debris floating around in your knee that is getting trapped or still have a slight tear?
  • I was fairly gentle on it to be honest. I was training to get back into rugby and wanted to take everything easy to ensure I didn't do more harm than good.

I probably could have got back into it a lot quicker, but combo of physio, exercises and training were brilliant and I stuck to the regime.

My knee makes some awful noises now though, constant clicking and creaking. I'm told its because I now have very thin cartilage nearer the bottom of my knee - this is whats causing the excess wear and possibility of a knee replacement.
    It was a fairly bad tear so I imagine the surgeon had his work cut out lol. I was awake though which was surreal!

As I dd start getting back into sport properly I was taking part in a friendly football match and got tagged on the knee by a lad wearing some of those "bladed" boots (blades instead of studs).
    Cue a 1 and a half inch gash right down to my kneecap, big scar, over stretching of ligaments and some twisting :(

I was actually scared it was ACL, how was your recovery from that?!
  • I hope you recover quickly but dont rush yourself or you will do more damage.

I know that everyones recovery time is different and even if you have had the same op once before it can be a completely different recovery time.

Over the past 8 years I have had 6 knee operations, 3 on each knee. Each time has been different recovery times varying from 3 weeks for an arthroscopy to 18 months which was also for an arthroscopy. I have now got a tendon graft and screws holding my knee caps in place and so far they are working well.

I have only just been allowed to cycle again after 9 years off a bike and am taking it easy, my last op was 10 months ago and I get twinges every day either walking or cycling.

Unfortunately for me I am only 28 and know that in a few years time I will be needing knee joint replacements.

Best thing to do is to take it easy when you start cycling again and build up slowly.
  • Bottster
    The good old bladed boots... almost as much fun as the original metal studs that would wear down and gash you every time they touched you!!! Knees really are a nightmare when they start degenerating and breaking down. Hoping they hold up for the next 10 or so years if i am gentle with them and keep most of my sports low impact on my knees like cycling and swimming etc. Really do miss the football tho!!

ACL reconstruction was a big one to recover from... it was a good year building back up and i missed a trick by not pushing it enough to get full hyper extension in my knee afterwards. A year ago i went and saw a physio who worked with a prem footy team for a couple of years and he helped me immensely with getting my knee back ready for some sport.

Thanks Dizzy, appreciate the post and your kind words. I will take the 3 week recovery if i have the option!! 18 months and i think i'll be finding a big bridge to jump off!! Not sure how you have coped with having that many ops in the last 8 years !! I hope your are trouble free and can enjoy your cycling again.

Cycling is the only sport i have found i can really push myself in and has given my knees no issues what so ever!!
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Arthroscopy when 44. Was cycling in 20 days (gentle) and skiing 3 months later, thats was 4 years ago and aint had any issues at all
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I've had three arthroscopies - I knackered my knees when I was 13:

* When I was 17 - general clean about in the left knee but no follow up physio or check ups - I got overlooked, apparently

* When I was 22 - was supposed to be another clean up in the left knee again and same day discharge, ended up in hospital for 4 days because my anterior ligament had dissolved, so they cut the interior one so my kneecap wouldn't be pulled sideways. I never liked those ligaments anyway.

* When I was 28 - I went for this one because I got into biking the previous year, and wanted to do it with less pain. Also had private healthcare through work! Had both legs done this time, which made recovery super exciting. The consultant was a bit shocked that I'd had a bi-lateral release, had a general clean up and found a bit of bone floating around, which was shredding the cartilage even more.

I think with all of them they recommended nothing but the physio exercises for 2 weeks, then gentle cycling and swimming for two months, then gradually doing more.

My knees (particularly the left) still gives me grief, can't power up obstacles or even hills, and any impact stuff is completely out (running, or the martial arts I used to do). Miles better than they once were though, although the last consultant did say I had the cartilage of a 70 year old. I'm hoping bionic knees/stem cell therapy will have come along by the time they really need doing again. :lol: