Shaving between legs?

I am cycling for the last 9 years and I still get terrible saddle soreness. I have tried different types of shorts, creams and have the correct saddle size. I was wondering if shaving between my legs and back of scrotum will help in any way? I am considering investing in a pair of Assos shorts as a last resort but they cost about €200. Any suggestions anyone?!

Comments

• StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    I am cycling for the last 9 years and I still get terrible saddle soreness. I have tried different types of shorts, creams and have the correct saddle size. I was wondering if shaving between my legs and back of scrotum will help in any way? I am considering investing in a pair of Assos shorts as a last resort but they cost about €200. Any suggestions anyone?!

There are cheaper Assos shorts than that.

And having the correct saddle size isn't all that matters. Shape, padding (too much or too little), angle, height, etc can all come into play. Have you tried different makes and models of saddle?

And is the rest of your bike set up correctly for you?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd say that shaving where you contact with the saddle will likely produce more saddle sores.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    There was a link on london fixed gear & singlespeed forum to a story written by a guy who shaved that area. I'll try and find it later - it'll certainly help you make your mind up.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Don't shave - be a man and wax :shock:
    Just kidding - not sure shaving will help - bigger risk skin gets micro scrapes and infections
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Shaving the area will almost certainly make things worse.

Do you use chamois cream or Sudocrem? A liberal application of it before a long ride may help keep infections at bay.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Definitely try some different saddles before splashing out on expensive shorts. If your saddle is wrong then all a better pad will do is slightly increase the time it takes to start getting flesh wounds. Shouldn't even really need cream with the correct saddle unless you're doing mega mileage.