Spectating on the Tour de France - Champs Elyssee

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
I'll be in Paris for the finish of the Tour - am I right in thinking it ends on the Champs Elysee? Is there ANY chance I could get near that or do I need tickets or something?

If anyone has been before and knows what the score is I'd be grateful of some tips etc

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Get there early and be prepared for a long wait if you want to see the riders on the Champs Elyssee, it will be crowded. My last time there I was stood on Rue De Rivoli, just after the corner out of the tunnel so the riders were going at a decent spectating speed, there is a McDs nearby for loos if needed.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get there early. Take something comfy to lean on as the barriers hurt after a few hours. And sharpen your elbows although there may not benefits so many annoying Americans this time trying to barge in at the last minute.
  • Niffleman
    Niffleman Posts: 87
    My wife and I have done this a couple of times and based on that experience I would recommend the following:
    1) Be there early. I suggest some time between 10 and 11am
    2) Take a folding camping stool for each person and a good book.
    3) Buy some food and drink before you take up your place as it gets busy later.
    4) Take a light waterproof as the weather is unpredictable.
    5) Enjoy. The Champs Elysees is a great place to watch because the riders will come past about six or seven times, whereas on every other stage you would only see them once.
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    I was there when Armstrong won his last tour... Stood 7 deep, up by the Arc de Triomph and tbh, the riders came past so quick it was hardly worth the 2 hour wait...

All my pics were of cross-bars down :oops:

Like the others say, if you are going to go anywhere near the Champs Elysee then get there very early.... Unless you are actually on a barrier then it simply is not worth the wait, for what you will see.

The place will be packed!!!!

Hope this helps and enjoy Paris...
  • Solarized
    Solarized Posts: 25
    As per other comments.
    Get there early 3-4 hours early.
    I got a great view by going to the Lourve Park, (the park the route loops around) and going on the side nearest the river. You get a great view from the park about 10 foot above the riders as the go along the road in front of you.
    Just be preapred to stand your gound and get their early.