2»

Comments

• Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    tk46hal wrote:
    Fenred wrote:
    tk46hal wrote:
    Fenred wrote:
    And next generation inbred 29er out in Orange or pale apple colours end of June this year...For all the feely, steely fans....ME!!

....Only because I cant afford/justify Ti.....OR can I??? :lol:

Don't underestimate the power of Scandium frames and the cost differences! Salsa, Niner and some of the older On One's use the stuff. Very light and as flexy!

Ok, You've got my attention :shock: I've owned GT, Giant and Specialized alloy framed 26ers in the past and whilst all being great frames, they've all been as stiff as....Steel was a revelation for me, so are you saying the scandal can replicate the similar "springy, lively" feel as a steel frame?

I'm saying that Scandium is a very good alternative to the more expensive Titanium. I have had a TI frame but in 26" and I found it not as good as the Scandium ones! Chainslapp should be able to give you a good report back when he sticks his On One frame together. The only problem with the new Scandal frames are that they are 100% Aluminium and not Scandium.
    I found this earlier regarding the new On One ti frame arriving soon!

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/11/11/ ... i-xc-29er/

Great advice, thanks I've learnt something tonight! Great review on twentynine inches....Chainslap, hurry up on that build will ya!!! :wink:
  • chainslapp
    chainslapp Posts: 59
    Just waiting for the brakes at the mo Fenred. First test ride should be on Sunday at the latest. :lol:
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    chainslapp wrote:
    Just waiting for the brakes at the mo Fenred. First test ride should be on Sunday at the latest. :lol:

Good man! Look forward to the FULL report. I am desperately seeking a reason to flog my last remaining road bike for a new mtb build and having psycholgical battles as to why I should be buying a HT 29er over a 26er FS :?

....So get those brakes on quick sharp! :lol:
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    Thanks for the info and the new on-one looks good from that review. Maybe very similar to the current van nic Zion 29er which also seems great value.

@tk46hal I always thought that scandium was stiffer than alu, I've only ever seen it used for pure xc race frames.

A steel 29er could be an option but as the engine's not what it used to be I'm not sure about the extra weight..
  • chainslapp
    dc71, I dont believe that you would notice the difference on the trails with a steel frame and also it would make your "engine" a lot more powerful.

Just to whet your appetite, I have attached an image of a steel Inbred 29er owned by someone I know.

5622275559_4c585f6346_z.jpg
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • tk46hal
    tk46hal Posts: 138
    dc71 wrote:
    Thanks for the info and the new on-one looks good from that review. Maybe very similar to the current van nic Zion 29er which also seems great value.

@tk46hal I always thought that scandium was stiffer than alu, I've only ever seen it used for pure xc race frames.

A steel 29er could be an option but as the engine's not what it used to be I'm not sure about the extra weight..

Scandium is an additive to either the 6000 or 7000 Aluminum used to make frames. It allows frame builders to add strength while reducing the diameter of the tubing. According to manufacturers, it creates a lighter more lively frame with less harshness and a better overall feel.

Steel is a great choice as well but does weigh twice as much and also rusts. Buy some light wheels to reduce the overall weight. :lol:
  • chainslapp
    UPDATE: Brakes arrived yesterday and I need to replace the rear hose which I purchased just in case. Picked up 3 x 2.5mm BB spacers from local shop and fitted them so the chain set is now sorted. Shifters are next later today and then that should be it, give it a go.
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    chainslapp wrote:
    UPDATE: Brakes arrived yesterday and I need to replace the rear hose which I purchased just in case. Picked up 3 x 2.5mm BB spacers from local shop and fitted them so the chain set is now sorted. Shifters are next later today and then that should be it, give it a go.

Ooo 29er bug already haha, i'm seriously considering a 29er from on-one sometime the end of this year / next year for commuting. After riding the pompino (well borrowed one) for a few weeks quite impressed with the quality!
  • chainslapp
    Not quite finished fettling, as you can see, the saddle needs some adjustment and fine tweaking of the brake calliper alignment etc. Want to change the stem for a 90mm Thomson and the bars for EA 70 low rise as well.

Any way here's a pic to whet your appetite.

5718250735_ae670e1b50_z.jpg
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • tk46hal
    It's looking fab!!!!!!!!!! :D
    Just let us know how it rides!
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    bloody lovely, nice stuff!
  • chainslapp
    Oh and the saddle will be changed for one of these.

phenom.jpg
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • chainslapp
    Just a quick update, I have been unwell at the week end and got caught up in the results of someone esles accident on the M1 today which has made it difficult to get out and try the bike. Proper update at the week end. :oops:
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • tk46hal
    Bored%20man(7).JPG
  • chainslapp
    Right, firstly the good news, apart from it needing chain tugs to keep the rear axle in line, the Scandal rides equally as good if not better than the Ti :( . That's obviously good and bad, good that I have another brilliant bike and bad that the Ti costs 4 times as much for the same type of riding experience. The one area that the Scandal excels is in its manoeuvrability, which is probably because it weighs less, as most of the components on both bikes are the same apart from the Scandal having gears. The weight saving is in the frame, although I am unsure of the specific figures. One things for sure, I have gone right off gears and now prefer SS for the type of riding and the terrain where I ride.

Now for the bad news,
    As I was entering a right hand bend at speed on some singletrack, I went in a little too hot and had to bail out. My only exit route was off to the left with no run off and I hit a log which was across in front of me and then used a tree with my shoulder as a means to reduce my speed to a dead stop. I sit here typing with one hand ,as I am in a fair bit of pain, but I will be back on it again very soon.

If anyone has any specific questions, just post up and I will try my best to answer.
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    chainslapp wrote:
    Just to whet your appetite, I have attached an image of a steel Inbred 29er owned by someone I know.

I like that. A lot.

I'm 5'6". Would a 29er look wrong with me perched on top of it do you think ?
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Hucking Fell
    In a word no! I'm only 5-10 a 16" scandal would fit you perfectly
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tk46hal
    chainslapp wrote:
    Right, firstly the good news, apart from it needing chain tugs to keep the rear axle in line, the Scandal rides equally as good if not better than the Ti :( . That's obviously good and bad, good that I have another brilliant bike and bad that the Ti costs 4 times as much for the same type of riding experience. The one area that the Scandal excels is in its manoeuvrability, which is probably because it weighs less, as most of the components on both bikes are the same apart from the Scandal having gears. The weight saving is in the frame, although I am unsure of the specific figures. One things for sure, I have gone right off gears and now prefer SS for the type of riding and the terrain where I ride.

Now for the bad news,
    As I was entering a right hand bend at speed on some singletrack, I went in a little too hot and had to bail out. My only exit route was off to the left with no run off and I hit a log which was across in front of me and then used a tree with my shoulder as a means to reduce my speed to a dead stop. I sit here typing with one hand ,as I am in a fair bit of pain, but I will be back on it again very soon.

If anyone has any specific questions, just post up and I will try my best to answer.
    Great news that you like the Scandal, but not so good news that you forgot how to apply your brakes! These things happen and clearly you felt very confident on your lighter bike.

Get well soon and I can't wait to come down on my S/S Scandal 29er and have a play! :lol:
  • dc71
    chainslapp wrote:

I like that. A lot.

I'm 5'6". Would a 29er look wrong with me perched on top of it do you think ?

I'm liking that a lot too. So much so I've decided to take the plunge and not only try a 29er but also try SS for the first time too - I'll try 1x9 or 1x10 if the SS doesn't work for me. I have an option on a white Inbred 29er 18" frame which I'm hoping will be perfect for me at 5'10". The only thing I'm worried about is the standover height as that seems the biggest difference to the 26 version.

What's the best wheelset to get for this under 200 quid? Looked at the Superstar Switch/29R rims but trying to keep the wheel weight below 2kg if possible and those rims are heavy.
  • chainslapp
    Your inside leg measurement will be the more important dimension for stand over, but I think you will be fine with an 18" frame.
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • dc71
    chainslapp wrote:
    Right, firstly the good news, apart from it needing chain tugs to keep the rear axle in line, the Scandal rides equally as good if not better than the Ti

I'm still undecided on which 29er frame to go for between the Inbred and Scandal. When you say the scandal rides as well as your Ti, do you mean in terms of both comfort and handling?

I've heard from others who've ridden both Inbred and Scandal that the Scandal seems to be the better frame in that it's as comfortable as the steel but without the weight penalty (Inbred reported as a bit agricultural).

If there's really nothing to choose from in terms of ride comfort, then the Scandal seems like a no-brainer given the weight saving. I still have an option on a Inbred frame but the condition means I'd need to get a re-spray which negates the low price.
  • tk46hal
    dc71 wrote:
    chainslapp wrote:
    Right, firstly the good news, apart from it needing chain tugs to keep the rear axle in line, the Scandal rides equally as good if not better than the Ti

I'm still undecided on which 29er frame to go for between the Inbred and Scandal. When you say the scandal rides as well as your Ti, do you mean in terms of both comfort and handling?

I've heard from others who've ridden both Inbred and Scandal that the Scandal seems to be the better frame in that it's as comfortable as the steel but without the weight penalty (Inbred reported as a bit agricultural).

If there's really nothing to choose from in terms of ride comfort, then the Scandal seems like a no-brainer given the weight saving. I still have an option on a Inbred frame but the condition means I'd need to get a re-spray which negates the low price.

DC71,
    The Scandal frame would be a great choice. I should know, I have 2! :lol:
  • chainslapp
    I have to admit that the ride of the Scandal is equally as good in both terms of comfort and handling against the Ti, but with the added benefit of lighter weight. Bear in mind that the kind of riding I am doing is mainly singletrack XC though. When all that's said and done though, I wouldn't sell the Ti as its a fantastic frame also.

5665621960_6b2994e1d7_z.jpg
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • dc71
    Brilliant, thanks for the info. Scandal is the one then. Now have to wait until Sept for On-One to re-stock, but at least they'll have the swap dropouts with the new version so I can start with slots for SS. Colours aren't announced yet..

It'll also give me a bit of time to sell my Kula as I only have room for 2 bikes! If I can I'll split it and keep brakes, crankset and bars for the 29er I'll be happy.
  • chainslapp
    Yes, I think OO are frustrating a few people at the moment with all the hype at the start of the year and promising arrival dates that have come and gone. Im sure the new frames will be worth waiting for, but why not under commit and deliver early rather than late?

This is apparently due Septmeber, they didnt say which year though :)

lurcher-bike-600.jpg
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.
  • dc71
    Yeah, plenty of time to sell or split the Kona. Although if that happens soon I could be swayed towards a Soma Juice which seems to be the only other 29er frame with a similar price to OO. Unfortunately my budget for this one won't stretch to carbon!
  • chainslapp
    Im sure the Kona will sell quite quickly if it hasnt already. There seems to be a lot of interest in 29er Kona frames. :D
    Ohhhhhhh bugger.