Copied CD's in Multichangers?

Fenred
Fenred Posts: 428
edited June 2011 in The hub
Not sure if I'm being mugged off here but I've just got a new car and it's come with a 6 CD Multichanger (boot mounted rather than front loading). I picked the car up last week and swapped my stuff over at the dealership. As I started loading a couple of CD's into the unit for the drive home the dealer spotted one of the discs was a copy and advised I "DO NOT" use copied discs in multichangers as they have a tendency to screw the magazine and get "stuck" and confuse the head unit. :shock:

A rummage around google seems to show conflicting stories on this topic...any real life advice/experiences greatly appreciated.

Comments

• pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    been using copied cds for years and never had any problems, might get the odd one that wont play but never had any stuck
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have a 6 CD Changer but mines inside the dash and all I use are copies.I've never had a problem and if some scroat breaks into my car they don't get originals 8)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's a properly burnt CD there's no difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    That explains why I get tracklistings/song titles even with copies :D
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Er, why would it screw the multichanger? All it reads is that its a disc, whether or not it can read the information on the disc is another matter but that would just not play it in that instance.

My Sony 6 changer certainly doesnt mind CD-R/RWs and theres no reason why it wouldn't.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fenred wrote:
    Not sure if I'm being mugged off here but I've just got a new car and it's come with a 6 CD Multichanger (boot mounted rather than front loading). I picked the car up last week and swapped my stuff over at the dealership. As I started loading a couple of CD's into the unit for the drive home the dealer spotted one of the discs was a copy and advised I "DO NOT" use copied discs in multichangers as they have a tendency to screw the magazine and get "stuck" and confuse the head unit. :shock:

A rummage around google seems to show conflicting stories on this topic...any real life advice/experiences greatly appreciated.
    Absolute load of c0ck.
    CDRs or CDRWs are precisely the same physcial dimensions as pressed CDs.
  • Fenred
    Fenred wrote:

Absolute load of c0ck.
    CDRs or CDRWs are precisely the same physcial dimensions as pressed CDs.

Wrong...Different CDR's and CDRWs do differ in dimension ie thickness.
  • Anonymous
    They shouldn't do. They should be within tolerance of the stadard spec.
  • Fenred
    You're right, they should be within tollerance, but check a quality disc vs a tesco £3 for a stack of 3bn....Different disc completely...and here the problem lies.

I work for an automotive supplier and have a friend who is an indusrty master technician and this was pointed out to me today after asking around...Frightening but true.

Moral of the story is - single shot/front loaders rule :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Fenred wrote:
    You're right, they should be within tollerance, but check a quality disc vs a tesco £3 for a stack of 3bn....Different disc completely...and here the problem lies.
    Almost all of them will come from the same factory.
    The tolerances are far tighter than your mate is telling you.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Only issue I could see is if you put press-it labels on. They have a tendency to peel off when they get warm.
  • Fenred
    Only way to tell is to test it out....Will give it a crack later today and report back.