Tubeless...

13»

Comments

• weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Stans rims are not UST compliant. The bead hook is different. UST has a more solid seal. I think you are less likely to roll UST tyres off the rim than with Stans. Unless you use Schwalbe tyres. :P
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's no practical difference (I've got a set of 819s and a set of Flows, the tubeless mechanism once taped up is functionally identical)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    I have Stans and UST too. I would go UST every time.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    But why? You say you think you're more likely to roll the tyres off the rim but they're just as hard to remove, have you ever actually had that happen?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    weescott wrote:
    I have Stans and UST too. I would go UST every time.
    UST tyres seem to be about 50% more expensive than non-UST, if there is no benefit (when using Stans rims) why would you want to pay the extra?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    so whats the general opinion on tyres with stans rims?

UST or non-UST?

as paul box says...if no advantage to UST tyres....why pay the extra?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Over the last 10 years I've used:

- UST tyres on UST rims
    - normal tyres on UST rims
    - normal tyres (tubeless) on converted Mavic rims (Eclipse and Stan's conversions)
    - normal tyres (tubeless) on Stan's rims

UST is heavy and expensive. When it first existed it was good (except there were only 2 tyres to choose from!), but there were no alternatives, when sealant use became widespread you could save 500g on tyres, add 100g of sealant and have a more reliable set up, if you could get them to inflate on UST rims with the exaggerated 'well' in the middle of the rim.

Stan's rims make inflation easy, and have all the weight benefits, IMO it's far and away the best system.

The trouble with new Stan's rims (Podium and Crest certainly, not sure about Flow) is that they made them slightly bigger to make tyre inflation easier. At the same time, many brands started doing 'tubeless ready' tyres with a smaller bead, to aid inflation. The result is that some combinations which outwardly should be perfectly compatible (for example 2011 Schwalbes) end up being phenomenally tight and not really workable.

To be fair, Stan's do say that UST tyres may be too tight to fit.

Best tyres on Stan's rims are conventional ones which hold air, people say good things about Maxxis, personally I use 2010 Schwalbes, such as those being knocked out cheap by On One, Action Sports etc. Had at least 10 pairs, all of which have inflated with a track pump and held air perfectly.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    so njee....you reckon just get the standard nobby nics....(my current favourite tyre) and not bother with the UST version?

Comes in about £20 a pair cheaper!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • weescott
    njee20 wrote:
    Over the last 10 years I've used:

- UST tyres on UST rims
    - normal tyres on UST rims
    - normal tyres (tubeless) on converted Mavic rims (Eclipse and Stan's conversions)
    - normal tyres (tubeless) on Stan's rims

UST is heavy and expensive. When it first existed it was good (except there were only 2 tyres to choose from!), but there were no alternatives, when sealant use became widespread you could save 500g on tyres, add 100g of sealant and have a more reliable set up, if you could get them to inflate on UST rims with the exaggerated 'well' in the middle of the rim.

Stan's rims make inflation easy, and have all the weight benefits, IMO it's far and away the best system.

The trouble with new Stan's rims (Podium and Crest certainly, not sure about Flow) is that they made them slightly bigger to make tyre inflation easier. At the same time, many brands started doing 'tubeless ready' tyres with a smaller bead, to aid inflation. The result is that some combinations which outwardly should be perfectly compatible (for example 2011 Schwalbes) end up being phenomenally tight and not really workable.

To be fair, Stan's do say that UST tyres may be too tight to fit.

Best tyres on Stan's rims are conventional ones which hold air, people say good things about Maxxis, personally I use 2010 Schwalbes, such as those being knocked out cheap by On One, Action Sports etc. Had at least 10 pairs, all of which have inflated with a track pump and held air perfectly.

I thought the 2011 Schwalbe tyres used a tighter bead hook as the early 2010's had problems with Stans and folding off the rim?

That's the problem with Stans. You either need to do a lot of research on the internet to see what tyres work and what don't, or put up with a lot of experimentation. UST rims and UST tyres just work.

I'm running some TL Schwalbes just now on the XC bike which didn't need much sealing which was reasuring. But for the AM bike I would more aprehensive about experimenting with Stans as the AM bike takes a lot more abuse....funnily enough.

Also of note is that UST tyres have thicker side walls than conventional tyres so give a different ride and provide more protection over TL or single ply tyres. There are so many variables with Stans, that's why UST is more apealing to me.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    so njee....you reckon just get the standard nobby nics....(my current favourite tyre) and not bother with the UST version?

Comes in about £20 a pair cheaper!

I do!
    I thought the 2011 Schwalbe tyres used a tighter bead hook as the early 2010's had problems with Stans and folding off the rim?

More to make sealing easier, but Stan's also did the same on their newer rims, so you end up with a bastard tight combination. Read the NoTubes message board, it's full of comments about not being able to get 2011 Schwalbe's on.

There's nothing wrong with UST, I'd personally just rather not have the 500g or so weight penalty. I have about 8 sets of tyres I know I can fit, inflate with a track pump and use 10 minutes later. I've never burped a tyre or had any such problems, so see no reason to use expensive heavy UST tyres. YMMV of course!