Rear Wheel not centre

Spenhog
Spenhog Posts: 9
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I have noticed my chain was slipping and when I looked the rear wheel wasnt central between the rear part of the frame near the crank. I removed the wheel and then put it back on the frame it still appeared to be not central, sorry I cant show you I dont know how to add an image. If hold the wheel centrally and tighten up the wheel it sits in centrally ish, one good thing the chain doesnt slip as much..haha

Does anyone have an idea why it might be doing this and how I can fix the problem?[/img]

Comments

• wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    Rear triangle slightly out of alignment? I had this on one of my bikes . Can be corrected on a steel frame - not sure about other ones.
  • Spenhog
    wheelygood wrote:
    Rear triangle slightly out of alignment? I had this on one of my bikes . Can be corrected on a steel frame - not sure about other ones.

Sorry what's the rear triangle?

My bike is a 2010 CBoardman Road Team.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Its behind the front triangle
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Double-check that the wheel is sitting correctly in the dropouts.

Also check the wheel's position in the frame before you tighten the quick release.
  • Spenhog
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Its behind the front triangle

Am really sorry to sound stupid but do you mean the rear part of the frame from the main stem where the rear wheel sits?
  • Spenhog
    lemoncurd wrote:
    Double-check that the wheel is sitting correctly in the dropouts.

Also check the wheel's position in the frame before you tighten the quick release.

It sits in the dropouts correctly but the wheel isnt straight when you look further along the frame the tyre is t one side and the knobbly bits have rubbed some of the paint away.

I have held in place the wheel so it central and tightened up the quick release which it makes it sit more towards the centre but after riding it soon moves back.

Am a little dissapointed as I have only had the bike since November last year and this was a reaplcement for the last bike but to problems.
  • stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    Is the wheel buckled

line it up centrally and spin the wheel to see if the gap between it and the frame changes as the wheel spins.

Are there any loose spokes ?

Is your quick release tight enough?

all of these could contribute to the issues you are experiencing

Cheers

Simon
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    MMMnnn, is the OP getting confused between the dish offset at the hub and the rim being central?
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Sounds to me like one of two things :-

The rear drop outs are not aligned so the wheel is at a permanent angle. Or

The wheel is not dished correctly so it the rim is not central.

Spenhog, is it possible to borrow someone else's wheel ? If the problem remains with another wheel it's the frame, if the borrowed wheel is fine then the wheel needs attention.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    For the OP:

2010_769.gif

REAR TRIANGLE \ FRONT TRIANGLE
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Put the wheel in the other way round. If the tyre is still closer to the same chain stay then the fault is with the frame. Probably bent. A good bike shop should be able to check this for you.
    If it is now nearer to the other stay then the wheel dish is out. That is the rim is not central on the hub so it needs re-dishing. I would suggest a bike shop job as you do not have much experience with bike mechanics.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    John.T wrote:
    Put the wheel in the other way round.

Yep, now why didn't I think of that. No need for another wheel. Doh.
  • drkawaszelong
    drkawaszelong Posts: 260
    Twostage wrote:
    John.T wrote:
    Put the wheel in the other way round.

Yep, now why didn't I think of that. No need for another wheel. Doh.

ermm, how do you put the rear wheel in the other way round? i'm confused lol

anyways, to the OP, i also had a similar problem, worth checking your Quick Release Skewer, mine had bent mysteriously, so my wheel get moving out of position, even if i put it in straight
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It is rather easy. You just undo the Q/R and remove the wheel. You then turn it round so the cassette is on the non drive side of the frame and put it back in between the drop-outs. Do up the Q/R and check the clearances. Not really rocket science. :?
  • drkawaszelong
    drkawaszelong Posts: 260
    John.T wrote:
    It is rather easy. You just undo the Q/R and remove the wheel. You then turn it round so the cassette is on the non drive side of the frame and put it back in between the drop-outs. Do up the Q/R and check the clearances. Not really rocket science. :?

righttt, i thought it meant to run the wheel with the cassette in (so that the cassette would be on the drive side, but the other way round, which is impossible?!), i.e. not as a tester. if that makes any sense.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I had a similar problem where the wheel kept moving to the left during a ride. I was advised to flie down the left side of the left dropout a bit, which I did. It did the trick and now the wheel sits central all the time.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Spenhog
    Twostage wrote:
    Sounds to me like one of two things :-

The rear drop outs are not aligned so the wheel is at a permanent angle. Or

The wheel is not dished correctly so it the rim is not central.

Spenhog, is it possible to borrow someone else's wheel ? If the problem remains with another wheel it's the frame, if the borrowed wheel is fine then the wheel needs attention.

I took the bike to my local bike shop and he took a quick look at it and your right the wheel isnt dished correctly so the rim doesnt sit correctly.
    What a pain in the butt and he did say that its likely to have been like that since I bought the bike. So put my spare wheel on and he is going to get it sorted out for £25. Does that sound like a fair prices for something like that?
  • My wheel looks like this..

Is that the same issue what others are facing?
    Need to check with my service centre.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    IF a wheel does not sit correct in the frame, step 1 is ALWAYS put it in the other way around.
    If the situation does not change > wheel is good, frame is not good.
    If the wheel sits at the other side, frame is good, wheel is not good.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My wheel looks like this..

Is that the same issue what others are facing?
    Need to check with my service centre.

I have literally no idea what that photo, and I use the term loosely, is showing...