I got viral meningitis...

coombsfh
coombsfh Posts: 186
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Last friday, all day I had a dull headache that elevated into shaking, not looking at the lights, vomiting, absolutely the most powerful headache ever and a very stiff neck.

On saturday morning I got admitted to hospital and all manner of tests began: Chest X-ray, CT scan of head, lumbar puncture, blood tests and so on. Until tuesday I had my eyes closed and hid under a hat as light seemed to convert directly into pain.

My temperature hit 39.5 a few times and I had never so cold! I have lost nearly 10kg already and my apetite is shot to bits!

Luckily I am at home now but it has made me weak as a kitten, still very headachey and inflexible and I am a proficient vomiter. All I need is time and I will recover completely. I could have been more unfortunate and got the bacterial kind which is capable of completely ruining you so thank (deity of choice) I swerved that.

I am bound to spend a lot of time on my arse and despite being a newbie, I quite like this forum. I won't be buying a new bike just yet as covering it in vomit is not my first aim! However I plan a good deal of skulking and learning on here.

As a final thought, under a week in hospital made me realise what a dismal place it is. Visitors made the time pass much more quickly (even if I didn't see them). So; if you have a mate or family member in hospital, try to visit them a lot as (for me at least) it really mattered. Plenty of mates have final year exams at the moment (I missed mine) and they still came to visit. I am usually pretty comfortable in any situation but I find generosity absolutely disarming and feel like saying "thank you" and "I would do the same for you" hugely inadequate.

I realise I am really lucky and will be fine so can't imagine what long term illnesses must be like. For anyone out of hospital, be joyous and have a wicked weekend but if you know someone stuck in one, go and see them as it means a lot.

Fred

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Get well soon.
  • coombsfh
    Cheers cornerblock,

Just wish I had my apetite back as weight is flying off! Usual regime of kettlebells and weight training is going to take a while to work back to. Rest is the most important thing and although that's hard I will do it... Just itching to do things...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    That is a tough break....not the meningitis....I mean being called Fred. Take care of yourself and hope you're back on the peddles soon.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dlangers
    dlangers Posts: 18
    Hi Fred i had the self same thing two years ago and it put me on my back for nearly 6mths.

I am almost over it now but it affected my memory and i suffer from alot of headaches.

I wish you a speedy recovery as i had all the same tests as you and yes a lumber puncture does bring tears to your eyes.

Good luck and a quick recovery Dave.

Ps it hasn`t stopped me from my biking though :D
  • cornerblock
    An itch as well, blimey you are suffering! Just don't rush your recovery, you'll soon be back doing weights etc.. The most important thing is don't do too much too soon. That bike will still be there, don't worry! Nice advice about visiting people in hospital too, even though they are grim places.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Get well soon dude.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    That's sh*t !!!
    My sister and her little boy both had it a couple of years ago.
    Hope you're better soon !
    Matt
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Scary stuff, someone in our local area, a 15 year old boy who loved riding more than nothing else, passed away from meningitis. In the course of two days.

I spoke to him on friday evening, by monday, he was dead. Seriously shocking illness.
  • cornerblock
    Scary stuff, someone in our local area, a 15 year old boy who loved riding more than nothing else, passed away from meningitis. In the course of two days.

I spoke to him on friday evening, by monday, he was dead. Seriously shocking illness.

:shock: Not a motivational speaker by any chance are you?
  • bennett_346

Nope. Just saying how quickly these things can happen, and to anyone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13059970

That's the poor lad above.
  • cornerblock

That is terribly sad, but I think most people know the seriousness of meningitis. Not sure the OP was looking for a worst case scenario, he is actually looking forward to getting a new bike I think!
  • bennett_346

That is terribly sad, but I think most people know the seriousness of meningitis. Not sure the OP was looking for a worst case scenario, he is actually looking forward to getting a new bike I think!
    Oh i didn't mean anything behind it, no message intended, bacterial is totally different anyway. I was just highlighting it. Wasn't trying to scare the bloke or anything :wink:
  • coombsfh
    don't worry. Helps me realise how lucky I am. one advantage is that I am allowed to call any time of day bedtime...

Night all and thanks for all the support. Fred
  • cornerblock
    Yeah night night Fred, take no notice of the Bogey man! :lol:
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    My father in law had fungal meningitis a few years ago. Apparently it's the rarest form of the illness and he was very lucky to get through it.

Glad to hear that you're recovering, it sounds like the worst is behind you and you caught it early. Just take it steady and don't try and rush it.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    All the best Fred. I had same thing 5 years ago. Pumped full of saline and drugs 4 times a day.

Lots and lots of rest is only thing for it. At worst point I was knackered just reading the paper. But keep recovery slow and steady - if you rush it then it can flare up again and you start all over again.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    All the best Fred, hope you have a steady recovery
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Get well soon so you can make a fool of yourself again (and leave your flies alone, you'll be too weak).
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • coombsfh
    Starting to feel nominally human again. Sleeping pattern just about ordinary again but appetite and thirst leave a lot to be desired still.

Lacking a lot of energy and find I get cold very easily (usually sweat for a passtime). Nevertheless I feel a hell of a lot better than I did in hospital and once the cerebro-spinal fluid is replenished the constant headache should fade and I can start working on flecibility again as I am stiff as a board from prolonged lack of exercise and stretches.

Mostly resigned to this being a bit of a slow recovery and also waiting on if/when I am allowed to sit my final exams for uni!!

I enjoy rootling around on this forum and seem to be refining my cycle based desires. Cannondale CAAD 9/10 I think...

PS if anyone needs a serious crash diet, try meningitis, I am losing stones!
  • Redmog
    Redmog Posts: 50
    A mate of mine got this a few years back, it was touch or go a few times but he's back on the bike again now. I think there has been some permanent brain damage though as he took up triathlon and has started visiting iron man 70.3 web sites . . .
  • coombsfh
    The trouble with feeling demi-human again is that I will probably be tempted to jump the gun in terms of getting better.

I "tested" my wellness when recovering from glandular fever with bike rides and weights and it just knocks you back.

The worst thing about being at home in Wiltshire is the amount of space there is to roam in. My default setting when I get home is to get up about 0500 and go zooming about with my dog (something I wish I had the get-up-and-go to do at the moment).

I am back off to Manchester tomorrow despite being a bit ruiined as I dont want to miss the final few weeks of all of my best mates being corralled into such a small space. At least some of them are going to disappear and metamorphose into grownups that get married and buy dogs and have kids so need to see them in their "purest" most immature form one last time.

One thing I have noticed is that I don't have much room in my stomach at the moment. Portion size is something I have always loved to abuse but I feel like my stomach has shrunk! Not drinking my usual 6L of water a day either, nor am I sweating as prodigiously as usual...

As for triathlon and ironman...I won't say never but I need to be able to do mild exercise again before I consider them...also need to develop the brain damage mentioned above :shock:
  • JST
    JST Posts: 158
    Hope your back to normal soon :)

Did you say "your usual 6 Litres of water a day" :shock:
  • coombsfh
    JST wrote:
    Hope your back to normal soon :)

Did you say "your usual 6 Litres of water a day" :shock:

yeh, that indicates how much I like to piss and sweat on a "normal day"...

Never drink watter in less than pints and the normal thing I use to drink from is 750ml... Just what i am used to.
  • sithebike
    sithebike Posts: 213
    Hi Fred,

Glad to hear you are recovering, take things slowly... The bike and weights will always be there.

I had bacterial meningitis about 8 years ago, it was touch and go if I was going to survive through the night.

It took me about 8 months before I could get back on the bike as my vision and balance was completely screwed up.

Good luck with your recovery mate.
  • coombsfh
    Sob sob...

This is not fair. There is a 2011 Specialized Allez elite less than 5 miles down the road, brand new, never ridden going for a song and I am ion no fit state to ride it! Worse still I actually have ample pocketmoney (unspent student loan) to buy it.

Dilema: do I buy it anyway and wait or hold off and keep saving for a CAAD10?

Fred

PS feeling more like a normal person day after day now. Still have strong headache but I think that's from the cerebro-spinal fluid extraction...
  • coombsfh
    So in my "wisdom" I just bought a brand new (boxed) Specialized Allez elite. I think it will aid my recovery :shock:

It has made me VERY impatient and I have a million potential routes, upgrades and questions circulating in my mind...

I want to be fixed yesterday!