Newark to York ( or maybe Lincoln to York )

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Thinking of cycling up for the York Cycle Rally. I live in Newark Notts.

Would best route be to pick up on NCN6 B (Derby to York ) somewhere around Carburton/ Ollerton clumber park area.

Or maybe a little more interesting go from Lincoln and pick up a Humber Bridge / Yorkshire Wolds kind of route.

Only want to do it in a day. Will come back on the train. Reckon I can hack 120 Miles in a day at a push..

Any Ideas Folks

Comments

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    Tim

I've cycled from Lincoln to York a few times.

North of Lincoln, stay off the A15, as it's horrible... too many fast vehicles with little shoulder for safety. Instead, go via the B1398 - cut across to Brigg - and then make for the bridge by following the B1218.

A good route from Newark to Lincoln is via Stapleford Woods to North Hykeham via Bassingham - nice and quiet.

That will be a l o o o ng day's ride!
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • tim_wand
    Thanks for that. Got the route to Lincoln sussed. Pretty much as you have outlined.

Ride upto RAF Waddington quite a bit to use their pool along that route.

Wanted to know what people thought of the merits of a more Worksop Doncaster kind of route over a Humber Bridge based route.

Obviously the later is a bit of a trek having to come across from Hull to York and gaining no miles North just East to West.

Whereas a route from around Worksop/ Clumber is just heading North. Believe more sections (I.E York Selby) and around Donny could be achieved traffic free.

Gonna contact Sustrans and see what they advise.
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    hi tim.
    if you can get through to donny. head for bentley and follow the trans pennine trail to selby and then york.
    its all on road from donny to selby.nice and quiet lanes, then canal path to york.

if you are heading for the humber bridge, cross it and follow the a164 toward skidby. follow the a1079 through to market wieghton (great downhill bit here!) and then there is a recomended cycle route on country lanes to york via pocklington.

the sustarns map of the wolds is a great one. give me a shout if you cant get one from the tourist info centre near you.
  • tim_wand
    Cheers Bob. I know the Pocklington route to York pretty well. Used to work near Stamford bridge and did the Way of the roses C2C last month which incorporates most of it.

Thanks for the tip from the Donny end . Probably more likely Due to the distances involved and only having a day to travel. Also give me an opportunity to discover some new routes.

Fairly Confident I can Nav the route from Selby, Did you say the Transpenine will Link Donny to Selby or do I need to look on a OS map.

Regards Tim
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    the trans pennine will link you from bentley and spotborough on the north west side of donny. it is signed all the way to selby and then york.

bentley to braithwaite is on country lanes, braithwaite to sykehouse is canal path. sykehouse to burn airfeild is quiet tarmac road, burn to selby is on road. selby to york is all canal path to the racecourse.

but the trans pennine east map, it is a great route.