Titus FTM Carbon - Wheelset, Fork, Headset selection

ridin8ude
ridin8ude Posts: 88
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I'm planning to purchase one of the Titus FTM Carbon frames (large/silver) from On-One but am struggling with some of the component choices so grateful for advice.

Forks:
How much of a difference does the tapered steerer make for the front end?
Does it matter if I use the XX fork without XX components e.g. is the XLOC remote handlbar mounted and doesn't need SRAM XX brakes/shifters to be mounted?
I can't decide between
Revelation RTL Ti Dual Position Air 15mm Maxle Lite (with 1 1/8 inch steerer) £450
or
Revelation XX World Cup Dual Position Air 15mm Maxle Lite with tapered 1 1/8 to 1.5 in steerer £599

Wheelset:
I think the On One wheelset would be cool to go with the bike Silver/Blue if I got matching blue hub and white rim - but these are new wheels and I'm concerned about durability.
So it's either
On One MAX Wheelset £259.99
Hope Pro 2 Blue hubs with white Stans Crest and DT Rev spokes (~£350)
Superstar Switch Evo blue hubs with white Stans Crest and SAPIM Double Butted spokes (~£275)

Headset:
I want a Chris King headset but just can't figure out which one goes with the Titus FTM Carbon - is it the inset model 1 1/8 to 1.5?

Groupset:
I'll hold off for the 2012 XT to be available and want to run a 2x10 setup. Heard I need to watch the Q factor and keep it around 165.
Rest of components I'm not too bothered about...

Thanks for feeddback or other ideas...

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    You dont need XX shifters to fit the XX rockshox lockout.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    id go with the rev ti and the hopes with stans rims.

go 20mm axle as i found this to make more of a diffrence over 15mm than a taper steerer. but 20mm axle and taper steerer would be best.

you wont notice a big diffrence unless you ride some pretty rough stuff and are quite aggresive.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    if you used a non tapered steerer tube you just need to use a headset reducer.

I'd get hope wheels with blue hubs and white rims and just the normal rev, the damper in the xx isn't as good as the one in black box for a all mountain fork.