Sports Nutrition.

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
As a cyclist from the "time before Lycra" I feel that my attitude towards nutrition related to exercise is a bit hit and miss. I always have a decent breakfast before a ride, and take a few energy bars/bananas etc., along but I get that feeling that I should be more structured in my approach. For example, my "recovery nutrition" tends to be whatever's handy, if I feel hungry. :)

As I'm also a gym regular I could do with getting this sorted out. Can anyone point me towards an idiot's guide so I can start to "do it properly"? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Looking forward to a few replies.

I had a can of coke and a dark chocolate Magnum following todays ride so I probably need to learn something as well :lol:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I just had a Thorntons easter egg with white chocolate, 50 miles today :lol:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    All you need is a good old regular healthy diet. Whey protein after a particularly hard session might help recovery, as would milk and a tin of tuna.
    More problems but still living....
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Carl_P wrote:

I had a can of coke and a dark chocolate Magnum following todays ride so I probably need to learn something as well :lol:

Seeing this I had to go and buy a magnum, an almond one, it was super! This sports nutrition thread is awesome! Ta :)
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Carl_P wrote:

Seeing this I had to go and buy a magnum, an almond one, it was super! This sports nutrition thread is awesome! Ta :)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Creme eggs and Go Ahead bars are recommended.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Have a look on High 5's website. They've got their new Race Faster Guides on there which talk you through what products to take/eat and, when....
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I use SiS REGO after my rides.
    But, as Amerifanga pointed out, a good balanced diet is best.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Chris Carmichael is (was) Lance Armstrong's coach thingy person. His "Time crunched" series v good, this is my next buy. I am not one for supplements or power drinks etc, hoping this will be sensible sports nutrition based on real food & normal people.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chris-Carmichae ... =8-1-spell