Carpal tunnel syndrome help

Shishman
Shishman Posts: 40
I have just been diagnosed with Carpal tunnel syndrome and its a pain in the ar*e (wrist/hand really).

Can anyone advise me on what I can do to alleviate the symptoms please?

I use a wrist support at night and was wondering if there is a suitable one for use when cycling or any other tips please from fellow sufferers.

I do not wish to give up cycling because of it.

:(

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    As far as I know its a long term inflammation thing. If you have a diagnosis hopefully you'll be offered treatment too! There are gloves/bar tape/bar gel underlays that may help, but you probably need to look at your overall position on your bike too - not too much weight on hands, no bent wrists, alternative postions while riding. hope you get it sorted! etc
  • piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    Shishman wrote:
    I have just been diagnosed with Carpal tunnel syndrome and its a pain in the ar*e (wrist/hand really).

Can anyone advise me on what I can do to alleviate the symptoms please?

:(

I used to suffer even after having the op.....

Well padded gloves,esp across the base of the hand/thumb

Relax the grip - good practice anyway.

Ensure bike position is correct ie minimise weight on arms

Drops: Vary the hand position often

Flat bars: use and argon grip: ideally with bar end, grip spreads the load, bar end give alternate positions http://www.ergon-bike.com/gb/en/home
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Padded gloves, gel bar tape and look at your saddle to bar drop. Also vary your hand positions a lot.

I used to be able to ride 100 miles but Carpal Tunnel means I can now do a maximum of 4 hours, so my rides are usually restricted to 70 miles nowadays (it seems to be less of an issue on the MTB, so can do long enduros instead).

It's very frustrating but you have to live with it, manage it accordingly and adapt your bike and riding accordingly. For me, it meant having pretty gawky looking bikes with relatively high front ends but no point in having a great looking bike you can't ride :wink:

I have a Ridley New Sportive with a tall headtube, so I can have a higher front end than some would chose but without it looking too awful.

I was told an op may cause more complications than fix it (because of the position of the scar) but my condition is relatively mild but it is still a pain and frustrating.
  • shaunos
    shaunos Posts: 84
    Had this problem myself. Doctors sent me for a course of Physio.
    Mucho amounts of exercises and manipulation, using a forearm support, and popping pills to treat the inflammation didn't solve the problem.
    Far play to the Physio, wouldn't give in and gave accupuncture a go. Bingo, after a few weeks the problem was solved. That was 3 years ago, and thankfully nothing since.

Good advise from the other posts regarding grip, padding and position. All will certainly help, but not likely to solve the problem.....
  • Shishman
    Shishman Posts: 40
    Thanks everybody.

I ride a Boardman Hybrid Pro and thinking about my position it does seem quite high with a lot of force on my wrist and at the wrong angle.

As was suggested Ergon grips look good and will try to raise the bar height with an adjustable stem.

Then another trip to the doctors if the above doesn't work.

Thanks again.
  • I believe people also change their handlebars sometimes. I believe they go with 'butterfly bars' or a lot of people get shallow drop handlebars. I forget the brand name I have heard recommended but I happened to have some spare shallow drop handlebars I put on my bike. There is one brand recommended but I forget the name but that is just more money we don't want to spend anyway. Besides this, I don't think I've ever gotten real hand/wrist aches with mountain bike styled handlebars as well. 'Butterfly Bars' generally don't cost too much. They are some set up, I haven't tried myself, they look a bit funky and cumbersome! :) But hey, also known as trekking or trek bars in Germany, they are suppose to be popular with some Continentals.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/ima ... ndtrek.jpg Here is an image of 'butterfly bars', people who use them put the brakes in different places, I don't think there is 'one' particular place to put the brake hoods.

http://mdotmay.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341 ... 970b-500wi This image shows some 'shallow drops' but there was one brand that was highly recommended. I forget the name but I do believe 'shallow drops' are often recommended.

Handlebars and wrist pains is one more common subject about cycling. Clearly, the amount of weight put on the wrists as well sometimes plays into the situation.

Foam coverings sometimes called 'Grab Ons', they look a bit 'retro' but I like them better than any handlebar tape.
  • I had the op on my right wrist/hand about 2 years ago, no trouble since but I do make a point of trying to use a relaxed grip and move positions regularly. The surgeon said that it is common to get it in the other hand if you've had it one but no hint of any symptons yet (touch wood) although the original problem set in during a period when I was rowing every day which I think is a sport more likely to bring it on.